Old 08-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Idroba I'm sure you know all of this but….

Get it off your chest. It's a good thing to let off some steam. But try not to let the stress get to you. You can only do what you can do.

When we had our little 2 week disaster, without power, cold temps, no communications, blocked into our neighborhood, a buddy and I went around helping whoever we could. It made us feel less helpless. We made friends, and it made us feel like heroes.

I know this is upsetting, and it's hard to take advice to not worry, but worrying seldom does any good.

As far as being a drama queen….pfft…this is drama that you didn't cause.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:37 PM   #44

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Over the years in the Florida Panhandle, our Airstream has been our evacuation pod on a couple of occasions. We were able to escape to Jacksonville and stay out of harm's way.

On several other occasions, our Airsteam was our savior when storms came through and we lost power for several days at a time. We were able to stay in comfort in the Airstream out in the alley behind our house.

Last year our air conditioner went out and took almost a week to replace. Again, the Airstream saved us. It provided us with and air conditioned little house to stay in.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
South is good, too......distance and separation are what you need, in my opinion.

Good luck, take care, and keep us posted here.

Maggie
Old 08-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
When Idroba finishes his exodus from the fires he has what it takes to help you out. He is a master in solar, or maybe I should say a Phd. I have solar and now that I have it I couldn't go with out it. But you need an expert as mentioned above.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
another update on Idaho fire

I guess it is time for another update. I am still in my bug out home, the 20' FC. I have been comfortable the past 3 days, as I moved to a place where there is no smoke. Today I am moving again, working my way to SW Idaho where I have friends. On Saturday we hope to make a trip to my home to see things in real time, but leave the AS at their place. They have a second home within a mile of mine and closer to the edge of the fire.

The fire has not stopped, only has slowed down and not moved, much if at all, downriver to us. But the Historic Fenn Ranger Station remains evacuated, the road close with only local residents allowed in. Evacuations are still in place for most of the area, but I am allowed in if I desire to go as far as my home.

Some photos I found on the web last night of our fire, taken 2 days ago.

More over the weekend when I hope to see things in person. BTW this is only one of many fires in the area, some much worse. The Salmon River Canyon has been devastated near Riggins Idaho. Over 50 homes lost in Kamiah Idaho.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2015, 06:12 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Final report on Bug Out.

I returned home last night. Some rain has been helping out then and today. No smoke at this time. The fire got within about mile and a half to two miles from me, and burned down to the road in several spots. The historic Fenn Ranger station had fire to their back yard. I have not been to see all the destruction, the roads are still closed. My road is closed to all but firefighters and residents. Two years of evacuations in a row. I am hoping for wet times for a few years.

The AS was great, as you might imagine. It gave me some sense of security and comfort to have my own things. Much better than a motel or a cot in a public shelter. That would have been very stressful.

Take your medications and medical devices with you, I did not take enough for a two week extended stay, which could have even been longer. Take food, although usually you can get more on the road, but not always in things like hurricanes. Take clothes for 2 weeks, after that wash or buy more. Have your water tank full and leave it that way. Good water is not always available, especially to fill the tank. Use it sparingly until are sure of your next source. I had to be careful as my FC 20' only has a 23 gal tank. I filled it several times with a portable 7 gal tote and a 12 volt pump (I can't lift the 7 gal tank easily, hell to get old).

Gray water can be dumped out like in the old days, especially in emergency situations. I did not even find FS campground hosts to be hostile to the idea when needed. ("just do it after dark, our plants need the water..."). I only had to definitely dump my black water tank once after the first 10 days out, and I found a dump station to do that. I did dump twice more, as there were public dump stations I saw while driving, looking for smoke free campgrounds. Here in the west, many small towns have them for convenience of tourists and residents.

Keep at least one propane tank full if possible. I started out with two full tanks as I had just returned from another trip and one had become used up, and I had just filled it. On this bug out trip of 16 days, I used one full 30# tank over 14 days for refrigeration, water heating, cooking and heat. The second tank is only slightly used now. I did not need too much heat but it did go down to 42F on 3 nights.

I had added 200 watts of solar to my trailer and have a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries for power. I use a Tri Metric meter for monitoring. The lowest it went was 78% battery capacity, even after 3 smokey, no sunshine days. I had no grid hookups at all. I did not bring a generator. When I returned yesterday I was up to 98% capacity. It was a sunny day and the Jeep also charges when towing.

It is nice to be home though. It is nice to have a home to come back too. Thank you National Forest Service and fire crews and all the taxes it takes to do that. We all pay them and use some services they provide.

And it is nice to see rain here again today.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, that's good to hear!

I'm sure it's good to be home, but nice that you had your portable port in a storm.

Maggie
Old 09-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Welcome home Rob! And so grateful you still have one to come to. Your strength during your bug out journey was an inspiration to me.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #51
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Prayers answered.... Deep, clean breath!!!! Restock the AS!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 02:18 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Thanks for sharing your experience, and glad you made it back safely!