Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana

Time to rethink the let it burn policy and allow some logging. We are in the Bitterroot and a similar situation.

gdod25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Originally Posted by nrgtrakr View Post
For those living where forest fires could be a problem, please mitigate around your home and buildings or have someone do it.
In the past the forest service would fight the fires no matter what. Sadly the forests became sick as a result. So letting the fires burn (to an extent) is the new norm as is mitigating for wildfire danger.

That mitigation has been done at my home, but short of cutting down every tree and bush and pouring concrete all around, there is still danger of loss from fires of the magnitude that we are having. My house was rated as "probably survive" a fire. I have sprinklers for the yard, but if the power fails, they don't work. At least it is green.

My community is under Stage 1 evacuation alert as of 1 pm this afternoon (realize you may have to go, be prepared). Even the historic (and working) Ranger Station down the road 3 miles is in danger. Due to historic preservation, they have wood shingles on their building roofs. At least I have a metal roof.

But, as I said in my first report, I left early due to the smoke issue. My health is more important than my house. I write this from the comfort of my Airstream in a Forest Service Campground south of Missoula in Montana. The Argosy is at home, I could not move both of them.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR

You should have come west! No fires threatening the Columbia Gorge, even though there are many around us at Mt. Adams and and Warm Springs. We had a few slack wind days this week with some smoke flowing down from the Adams fire, but the old reliable west wind scoured it all out in less than a day.

Hope you all of your stuff stays safe!
Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Hanalei, /Chino Valley , Hawaii / Arizona
Lew is so right.
I spent most of the summer in Northern Ca, Orgon, and Washington state.
Mostly near the coast. Had clear air the whole time. Just a bit up wind of the fires and no problem.
Now I'm a little east of Salt Lake City on the way to Colo. and you can cut the air with a knife. About half way across Nevada I started to see the haze, and it has gotten thicker by the hour of travel east. Am wondering if this plume will spread all the way to Colorado?

Can't imagine how bad it must just a short distance down wind from any of these big fires. Rob, sure hope when you are able to return home that you fine all is O K. There.

Cheers Richard
tevake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Northern California , and Oregon
Smoke and fire locations:
WunderMap® | Interactive Weather Map and Radar | Weather Underground

Having the Russian fire smoke earlier this year in Oregon, it's interesting to see where the smoke travels.
WBCCI 1183
Region 12
Sierra Nevada Unit 157
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Best of luck to all of you dodging fires in the west!

Here on the barrier islands of the east coast of Florida we're watching hurricane Danny moving west across the Atlantic. The AS is prepped for our next trip anyway, which could come sooner and take us in a different direction if nature chooses. That was part of the rationale for our purchase of the AS. We think of it as our own silver ark.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Los Angeles , California
been there. done that. and ya can't beat a custom AS for buggin out :-)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member
1999 31' Land Yacht
Kingston , Washington
Hi Idroba,
Glad you were able to get out. We here in the Puget Sound area have been watching the devastation, and the firefighting efforts, with a lot of concern. Hard to imagine that the total fire area in Washington is equal to the area of the cities of Seattle, Portland, San Francisco and Los Angeles combined. Many thanks for starting this thread - - great information in it. Stay safe and hope your home and property made it. You might consider a follow-up posting so we know (hopefully) that you all are OK.
Mike & June
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member
2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
Keeping in touch with your exodus. I am hoping the best for your home. Your summer has been a living hell. You are always welcome at my place but Michigan would be an overkill drive to escape your situation.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If wishes were horses...

I'd send our pending tropical storm/hurricane to your area. You could surely use the rain.

I might have to bug out to the high ground (about 12 feet above sea level here.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Hope the situation improves for you. Seems there is no paradise, imperfections and dangers exist everywhere. Living on the Mississippi Gulf Coast my Airstream is definitely my bug out pod. I keep the fresh water tank full with fresh water (changed monthly), a two week plus supply of WISE foods and nearly ready to go. I also keep a minimum of ten gallons of fresh gas on hand to top off the tank before hitting the road. Batteries are kept properly charged and make sure I have at least one full propane bottle. Additional bottled water and food enough for two weeks, clothing and weapons kit top off the list. Most is presorted, packed and ready to load out. I can be fully loaded and on the road in less than an hour. There is no way to be fully prepared for all contingencies but we can be as proactive as the situation allows. As I write this there is a hurricane in the Atlantic that is very loosely projected to possible come this way. If it does I will be ready to move.
Camille took out the house I lived in as a boy, 4 doors east of Bouvoir.
Antique Pedaler
'64 Bambi II, '10 Flying Cloud FB
'05 GMC Pickup, '11 Touareg TDI
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Many thanks for all your good wishes. The information from home is sketchy yet but I am hoping that the wind which came through yesterday with a frontal passage did not push the local fire more in my direction. More smoke is invading Montana where I am now.

It has been an exceptional summer. Ten days in a row over 100 F (one 111) in late June, then many more in July and August. More 100 F days in one summer than in the past ten years. And virtually no rain since late May. Something like 100,000 acres burned locally since one dry lightning storm started 150 to 200 fires about two weeks ago. Fifty homes burned in Kamiah, about 30 miles from me. My friend who runs the Forest Service recreation section and who I do volunteer solar work for lost her home in those fifty.

The Forest Service campground I bugged out to last year is closed due to another fire, and straight line winds which caused major damage to it. The wonderful campground hosts were gone already as one of the couple died there of heat stroke in the ten days of heat in June. Their camper would have been crushed by a falling tree in the straight line wind that hit a week ago, had they still been there.

I know it sounds dramatic but none is made up. We are having a rough time in Idaho. Central Washington is probably worse. I feel terrible for the three firefighters life loss in Washington two days ago. I would give all the homes in my small community, including mine of course, to recover one of their lives, and I know my neighbors share my feelings. But it is not to be.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I was born and raisd in Charleston, Sc until Hurricane Hugo huffed and puffed and blew our 150 year old+ home down to the 3' thick brick walls. Of course my stubborn father waited until the last minute to finally evacuate (I mean literally the National Guard was at our door saying GET OUT NOW). That was my first experience using an RV to bug out...I think back then we only had our baby 24' Aljo tag trailer. Needless to say my Yankee father had had enough of tropical storms and hurricanes and took an immediate job transfer to Fresno, CA. I will say this much about this horrible, and I mean, NO, natural disasters to worry about here.
When I lived in LA I lived through a few earthquakes but I bought a condo in an earthquake proof buildling and worked in the US bank building (so I never actually got to feel them...just gentle swaying...though I saw video of what was going on down on ground level and OMG).
Then when there was the Y2K-end-of-the-world panic my father (by then we had upgraded to a '99 Fleetood Avion 38' FW) had the RV locked, stocked, and loaded in case the world went to pot...when they were trading it in on the Newell it was hilarious to find a ton of non-perishables, batteries, etc. we'd completely forgotten about.
Still, I keep my Airstream stocked with the same amount of emergency goods because you just never know. Case in point I have to have my house tented and exterminated so guess who'll be camping across the street in his RV?'s hoping my new quiet gen-set doesn't bug the neighbors too much, but in this town's 102 degree weather you bet your ass I'll be running my AC....if only I had my installed twice as much solar panels...then maybe I could run one...maybe...but doubtful. Anyways, long winded story short, RV's are awesome bug out vehicles.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
About 6 years ago the same smoke situation happened here due to a fire a get hundred miles north. After a week we bugged out to the coast.

kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote