Old 11-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Airstream and a Baby

Who has experience with this? We have a 7 month old now and will try for another in a year or two. The plan is to get the airstream within the next few months, start traveling on the weekends a a couple week trips a year. We will grow into it with another girl or a boy when we have another.

My questions is- have any of you traveled with a baby in a air stream? Challenges? Good memories? Funny Stories?

I am not so much worried about our current daughter because she will most likely be 9 to 10+ months before we set out and she is already pretty mobile.. but when that 2nd newborn comes in a year or two..how will that work?

[Really would like to hear any feedback at all from family travelers with young kids 0 to 10) - We are thinking flying cloud 25 but wonder if that would be big enough if we do have a boy and they need more separate sleeping arrangements as young children

Thanks

Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
I'm also in market for our airstream. We have a two year old and 4 month old, currently.

Curious to see what everyone has to say. Having a hard time determining what length and model would work best.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gosh, we camped with infants in a pop-up, then 3 toddlers in a 22' SOB. Went all over the country.....no problem. We all used the 22'er through their teens and young adult stages.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkel View Post
I'm also in market for our airstream. We have a two year old and 4 month old, currently.

Curious to see what everyone has to say. Having a hard time determining what length and model would work best.
Yea I a currently contemplating going up to 27/28 to get the dinette bed and sofa bed very separate in case of a boy/girl situation

It is kind of over reacting and I probably wont do it but its in my mind never the less- It would be dumb to plan for something that hasnt happened yet

I think one of the 25 flying cloud models would be the sweet spot between out budget, the Vehicle we would get and the room we would need.

If they grow out of it in 10 years..well we were cross that bridge at that time
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , By Grace of God, Texas!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4293204066.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	200674

Three grandkritters... Works fine!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Yonkers , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Who has experience with this? We have a 7 month old now and will try for another in a year or two. The plan is to get the airstream within the next few months, start traveling on the weekends a a couple week trips a year. We will grow into it with another girl or a boy when we have another.

My questions is- have any of you traveled with a baby in a air stream? Challenges? Good memories? Funny Stories?

I am not so much worried about our current daughter because she will most likely be 9 to 10+ months before we set out and she is already pretty mobile.. but when that 2nd newborn comes in a year or two..how will that work?

[Really would like to hear any feedback at all from family travelers with young kids 0 to 10) - We are thinking flying cloud 25 but wonder if that would be big enough if we do have a boy and they need more separate sleeping arrangements as young children

Thanks
Coastal,
Welcome on board.

Read a lot about the 30' FB FC Bunk and try and visit the Airstream rallies especially around Georgia / SC where a lot of toddlers / kids/ grand kids are part of the rallies. They do have open house whereby you can see different floor plans and ask questions from both parents and kids as to how easy or difficult were the age/floor plan transformations. Canopener is coming up this January in FL. with lots of kids and Foley Airstream dealer in attendance. Start with these 2 links below and best wishes;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...se-106222.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...en-103788.html
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We camped in a tent when our (now grown and married!) daughters were babies, so I'm sure that you will find a trailer to be luxury!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F450Harley View Post
Coastal,
Welcome on board.

Read a lot about the 30' FB FC Bunk and try and visit the Airstream rallies especially around Georgia / SC where a lot of toddlers / kids/ grand kids are part of the rallies. They do have open house whereby you can see different floor plans and ask questions from both parents and kids as to how easy or difficult were the age/floor plan transformations. Canopener is coming up this January in FL. with lots of kids and Foley Airstream dealer in attendance. Start with these 2 links below and best wishes;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...se-106222.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...en-103788.html
Thanks for the info and links. Good information
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Our Airstream was the first travel trailer we ever owned.

We bought it after our 4 kids were on their own.

After the first night in it, my wife and I looked at each other and said we wished we had bought one when they were little.

Go for it just as soon as you can. Use it as often as you can. No matter the size nor model - you kids will love it and the memories will be with them forever!
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We've got a three year old and, now, 16 months old twins. We camped with the entire gang all summer long.

There are challenges, make no mistake. If one of them has a bad night, they all have a bad night. At home, we can separate them, in a trailer where they all share one bedroom, not so much.

Having said that, the fun outweighed the work and the occasional sleepless night. They loved crawling and toddling around the beach, they loved going for a swim, they loved the awesome playgrounds in our Provincial Parks. The older one made new friends almost daily, the younger ones made for good conversation starters with the neighbours.

One thing we found invaluable was a solar shower. Hang a big bag of water in the sun in the morning, have warm water in the evening to hose everybody down before they go inside and wreck the trailer. The same went for meals, the baby's loved being able to eat by themselves and we loved not having to worry about cleanup - the chipmunks did that job for us. We took clamp-on baby seats that we fixed to the picnic tables, worked extremely well and are lightweight.

We took them to their first WBCCI rendezvous, which was awesome as we had about 50 able and willing babysitters (mostly grandmothers) at our service It was great fun all round.

Our trailer is a 1984 34' triple axle International. It's a large trailer, but actually very light, lighter than a modern 25' model, especially on the tongue. It tows and backs up like a dream, I highly recommend them.

We added a bunk to the back twin bedroom, my wife and I sleep on the gaucho that we had remodelled to expand into a full queen bed.

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent upon arriving"
-- Lao Tzu
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Nice looking bunk! Camping with little ones is great. In fact, we are in the middle of restoring a second Airstream for our brood as they turn into bigger teenagers. (we will selling our 29' bunkhouse this spring, sigh.) A strong routine is the most important part.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Very nice indeed!

Was that bunk addition an extensive mod? Easily removed if/when needed?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkel View Post
Very nice indeed!

Was that bunk addition an extensive mod? Easily removed if/when needed?
The bunk is solid and tied into the trailer structure - I had the job done by CanAm in London, Ontario. I tested it by sitting on it with another adult, it is rock-solid. The downside of that is that it can't easily be removed, but I don't really see a need for that. We will camp as a family for the next ten, eleven years or so until the oldest will think us uncool and go off to do his own things. We won't have an empty nest for quite some time yet.

We'll think about downgrading/side-grading/renovating then. I think my wife and I will do a full restoration at that point and create our perfect trailer to go off and explore the world by ourselves.

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent upon arriving"
-- Lao Tzu
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

All these warm memories and thoughts reinforce that getting a airstream will be a great idea. I brought it up to my wife a couple months ago and she said "ok, lets do it".

If you know her you would understand thay is rare..non existent more like.. but she is looking foward to building memories on the road like she had with her grandpa.

We have friends that got a RV for adventures with their little ones and that is where the thought grew from..but me, I have always wanted the sleek iconic symbol of a airstream.

This will be our first big purchase that is just for fun..we own a house..put toward retirement as best we can and rarely go on a expensive long vacation but that all changes when you see a little one that is just dieing for adventure.

We local hike, kayak and camp at local state parks.. should have no trouble exploring the rest of the country