Old 11-25-2013, 07:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Babies can be in most airstreams - we have a 3 year old son and 10 month old daughter - we have a 30' FC ("flying cloud") bunkhouse - our first trailer - love it so far - we will be at canopener -

Most any AS is baby friendly and most any can accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids as I've spoken with many folks on here - deciding length is a difficult task I think - involves various discussions of compromises

Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2139863464.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	624.9 KB
ID:	200697  

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
We bought our 25' FB when our first son was 3 months old and we've had a blast. He's now almost 2.5 and our second son will be 3 months old tomorrow.

We've always setup the dinette as my older sons bed. Works good. If he stirs and wakes up its large enough for one of us to lay down with him.

I think the dinette will be big enough for both of them for awhile. Until our younger son is old enough to be on the dinette and not get squished we've got him on the couch pulled out.

It can seem a little tight occasionally but we try not to spend too much time in the trailer as long as the weather cooperates.

We have a blast camping. It's nice getting my son outdoors.

Go for it if you can. Take your kids out in the woods and have a blast!

- Ronnie
bike_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2013 27' FB International
Stafford , Virginia
We just bought a 27' International and plan to take our two youngest kids (9 y/o and 7 y/o) on trips for years to come. Our four oldest (23, 21, 19, 17) will probably camp in a tent if they come with us. We figured we couldn't find a "perfect" trailer to accommodate everyone so we just went with what we could afford and what we thought would work. Though we don't have little ones any longer, we do have a grandchild on the way so we will have to babyproof at some point.

I'm sure you will find the right trailer for your family. Happy Searching and Good Luck!
VioLey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Camping in a AS is totally the way to go. We have a three year old and a five year old. They have been camping in it most of their lives. When you have real little ones, it is nice to have a dry, secure, mostly bug free place where you can fall back to. You can close the door and let them craw around, play, bounce off the beds.

Ages 1 through 3 or 4 is like being on suicide watch. It's rally nice to have a controlled safe environment when it's time for a break.

The kids they love camping. They ask all the time when we are going. Also my three year old loves taking naps with good old dad in the AS. Truthfully I think dad likes the naps more than the three year old!

But with all that said, what I like the most is the fact that while camping we put aside many other worries, to do lists at home, getting the junk from work out of my head, and just spend time with my wife and kids.

Oh here some pics of my bunks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1074909428.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	200698   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3789662406.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	200699  

Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by coastal View Post

My questions is- have any of you traveled with a baby in a air stream? Challenges? Good memories? Funny Stories?

I am not so much worried about our current daughter because she will most likely be 9 to 10+ months before we set out and she is already pretty mobile.. but when that 2nd newborn comes in a year or will that work?
I don't remember it, but my parents have good stories to tell about my first camping trip in an Airstream when I was six (yes, 6) DAYS old. My brother was 22 months old, so traveling in an AS with two very young babies is not a difficult thing to do.

I have never been back to Virginia Beach, but hope to do so someday...
"The difference between vintage and retro is that vintage is honestly old and cool. Retro tries to be but isn't."
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
We have camped with our children from infancy. The last two have been in the Airstream with our first starting in the tent. As you have probably learned, it seems the smaller they are the more stuff they "need" to go anywhere. On our last camping trip the back of the Yukon had nothing but baby gear (stroller, pack 'n' play, exersaucer etc) and it was full.

One of the biggest challenges that I have experienced with infants is making safe and secure sleeping arrangements. If you have the floor space, the pack 'n' play works well but they are bulky. Graco makes a smaller travel size that could fit better in some floor plans. Once they reach the toddler age you have a lot more options since you can move them to a normal bed with a side rail.

The other thing to be sure is that you have good CO and CO2 detectors. There is some research that CO2 poisoning may be a contributor to SIDS. This is not intended to be discouraging or alarmist, just good preventative safety measures.

We have always had a great time camping with the kids and they can't wait to go again. Our Kelty backpack carrier is probably the most indispensable piece of camping gear when camping with an infant or small toddler.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Petaluma , California
We've been doing trips with our daughter in out 19' Flying Cloud since she was 5 months old. Most recently, we did a 5 week loop around the Southwest when she was about 16 months and 8 weeks though the Pacific Northwest, Banff, Glacier, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons between 20 and 21 months. She loves the new scenery to explore everyday and honestly, we find being on the move with her sometimes easier than being at home.

A couple things we've found:

1) The floorplan of our 19' actually has more floor space for kids to play than some 25's or 27's. We have a big shag rug that covers pretty much the whole area so she can roll around and spread out her toys. Of course, in the 19', that space is also the floor of the kitchen, dining room, living room and office. We've recently upgraded to a 25' CCD which has even more floorspace in front of a permanent L-shaped couch. The takeaway? We've found floorspace to be key.

2) On a related note, that ample floorspace allows us to put her to sleep in a portacrib on our bed, close the partition and watch a movie or clean up after dinner. Then we can "float" the portacrib, sleeping baby and all, down onto the floor, close the partition again and have our bedroom to ourselves. Not sure that move would be possible down the hallway of the typical 25/27 or that there would be room to for the crib on the floor although there should be in the more open floorplan of our new 25' CCD. We're also thinking some bedrails and a curtain partition would make the L-shaped couch a great toddler bed when baby #2 comes along.

3) A fun mod is converting your fridge door to a magnetic chalkboard. I just removed the front panel of the fridge, flipped it around, glued a thin sheet of galvanized steel to it and painted it with chalkboard paint. It slides right back in and voila! We took the doors off the cabinet below ours and filled two baskets below with toys. And, as any parent knows, an accessible tupperware drawer can be better than any toy chest.

4) The shower works *perfectly" for a bath. Only about a foot deep. Some non-slip stickers on the floor keep them upright. Just remember to flick on the water heater as you arrive into camp.

4a) A small baby pool is a hit in the summer months and doesn't take up any space in the trailer.

5) A clip on high chair is great on the dinette. Just make sure the leg is secure.

6) The back of our SUV is mostly filled with her "modes of transport" including a stroller, a bike seat that attaches to our bikes, a hiking backpack and - a new addition thanks to Craigslist while on the road - this push tricycle she can't wait to get on for the morning or evening campground loop walk.

7) And finally, if you can't find something, look just outside the door. That screen door slider is a blast to toss things out of!

Have fun!

Dave and Ann
Advodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
Hilton head island , South Carolina
Wow thanks Advodna! What a fantastic guide and tips. I will print and save for future reference!
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2013 23' FB International
Aliso Viejo , California
Very helpful thanks! We will be hitting the road with our soon 1 yr old as weekenders and can't wait.
Brokerchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Good stuff!! Thank you much!!
Not all those who wonder are lost.
Silverflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas

Name:	image-3388835536.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	201236

Name:	image-3773564284.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	201237

Name:	image-1219908988.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	567.8 KB
ID:	201238

Name:	image-3031025315.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	566.1 KB
ID:	201239
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
Petaluma , California
Looks like we might need a whole thread of pics of kids looking through the screendoor slider!
Advodna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
The screendoor slider is one of my kid's favourite toys. The three year old likes to hang out there and watch the world go by, the twins just use it to throw things out.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
There are some good blogs about extensive travels in an Airstream with babies and small children. The Mali Mish blog is one of the best: Mali Mish - An Airstream Travel Blog

Another is Aluminum Bliss. The blog is still up although the couple is no longer full timing: Aluminum Bliss | Dream. Do. Live. Repeat.

Troutstream, Troutstream: Our Family Airstream Travelogue , is an active blog telling the story of a young family and their Airstream.

Enjoy your new silver traveling companion. My only regret about our Airstream purchase is waiting until we were close to retirement to buy it. I see young couples with children camping and wish we'd been able to share the experience with our daughter when she was growing up.

State parks are wonderful. We didn't discover them until we bought the Airstream and prefer them to private campgrounds when we travel. You are fortunate to be taking advantage of them while raising your children.

Enjoy your adventures and take lots of pictures. Share them with us on Airforums every once in a while. We enjoy reading the Airstream travel threads.

Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote