Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Airstream, a different approach?

What if Airstream took an ‘additional’ approach? I don’t dare suggest messing with their existing iconic and loved silver bullets but add an additional innovative trailer that met a different need of many. That many I refer to is the mostly younger generation, but not limited to them, that would permit an extreme expression of the tradition of boon docking. Yet, in a way that could still retain the brand Airstream has so well nurtured over the years, and that we so typically love to be a part.

Today, yes, there are great new smaller Airstreams. They can be pulled by smaller TVs and go much further ‘outback’ resting places where our big ones not dare go without the worry of getting stuck, or worse, damaging their beautifulness. A small trailer that could be easily pulled by a second hand Subaru Outback (no pun intended), a trailer that is so innovative that there is no others to compare, a trailer that is so efficient with its storage options it makes much larger trailers seem anemic. Last but not least, it must be tuff as nails and built with attention to detail and quality as if it was cladded in beautiful aluminum and Airstream stamped proudly on its side.

I personally know many a Millennial out there that love Airstreams. But, they can’t either afford them or they couldn’t pull them with their all wheel drive Subaru’s even if you gave it to them. Lastly, so many of them, as we did when we were that young, want to go further and in places a traditional Airstream, of any size, would not dare nor could venture.

I think this guy has something here. Personally, Airstream should just fly over to Australia and buy them out. And start a whole new line. I bet it wouldn’t just be the younger generation that bought them.

See this link on YouTube for what I mentioned above:

https://youtu.be/SpKGm3TC5jc

If that interested you but you want to spend more money, have more options and comfort (Mini Split A/C, Fuel Cells, Digital Communications….and take along your fishing boat and a ton more, then get its bigger sister. This one might be out of the Millennial price range, just a tad. The Subaru might grunt a little, too.

https://youtu.be/CRuT4F5xplA

PS: I have no idea how much these things cost, but again, we are Airstreamers and seem to spend a lot on our trailer(s)☺ Why not one of these for the extreme boon docker?

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #2
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
According to the comments attached to the video, that millennial affordable trailer retails for $62,000.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
But look at the innovation. That is what is so impressive about it. The rock guard alone is a great idea, along with the leveling jacks. Those folks actually thought about and used everything in their unit.

Now, I could do with a little less rugged, there are not that many places here in the US which require fording rivers, and going up and down 60 degree hills. But still, reasonably rugged is nice too, like dust tight and that kind of thing.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
According to the comments attached to the video, that millennial affordable trailer retails for $62,000.

I believe that $62,000 you are referring to is retail and that is in Australian dollars. That's approx. $43,000 US dollars. Say take 15% off retail we are talking about approx. $36,500 USD, give or take. Not too bad.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
I'm in favor of Airstream or any other company adopting new ideas to expand it's business. However, the foundation of any successful business is to "tend to the knitting." In other words, to perfect the ideas that made it a success to begin with. With Airstream, that means charging top dollar for a top tier product. Look at what happened with U S autos 40 years ago when the US auto industry got sloppy, and Japanese auto makers cleaned their clocks until recently, when U S auto makers seem to be getting the message. Airstream should make it a goal not to release any unit from its factory until that unit is perfect: no stripped threads on screws, no loose rivets popping out, no leaks, top tier electronics, and all mechanical components individually tested and working to specs. What might be acceptable in a $30,000 unit is not acceptable in a $60,000 Airstream. After Airstream cleans its own house, then it might be time to look outward.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
There is a hydro forming process that could duplicate the Scamp/Casita/etc. two piece trailers in aluminum. A one piece molded fiberglass interior, much like a boat, could keep costs down and eliminate the soggy floor problem. This type of TT construction pretty much eliminates the customization process either at home or dealership. I could see a fiberglass lower shell with a hydro formed aluminum top section.

DeLoreans were basically a fiberglass body with a brushed stainless steel overlay. Same thing could be done using aluminum by Thor to create the illusion of a hand built AS.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:35 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
I'm in favor of Airstream or any other company adopting new ideas to expand it's business. However, the foundation of any successful business is to "tend to the knitting." In other words, to perfect the ideas that made it a success to begin with. With Airstream, that means charging top dollar for a top tier product. Look at what happened with U S autos 40 years ago when the US auto industry got sloppy, and Japanese auto makers cleaned their clocks until recently, when U S auto makers seem to be getting the message. Airstream should make it a goal not to release any unit from its factory until that unit is perfect: no stripped threads on screws, no loose rivets popping out, no leaks, top tier electronics, and all mechanical components individually tested and working to specs. What might be acceptable in a $30,000 unit is not acceptable in a $60,000 Airstream. After Airstream cleans its own house, then it might be time to look outward.
McDave, you bring up a good point and an accurate one too. Given my experience with my 2016 AS vs my 1997, night and day quality control difference. And the winner was my 1997.

Old 01-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
McDave, you bring up a good point and an accurate one too. Given my experience with my 2016 AS vs my 1997, night and day quality control difference. And the winner was my 1997.
In my case, it has been kind of the opposite experience. We bought a new 2005 Safari 25FB, and camped over 1,300 night in it. It had its quality control issues, but we still enjoyed it immensely. We now have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB that we also purchased new. We have now topped 200 nights in the new Airstream.

Our assessment of the quality control on the 2005 vs. the 2015 is that the 2015 is a much tighter and better built trailer that the 2005 was. The fit and finish of the the 2015 is noticeably better that the 2005.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Economy of scale

The rugged outdoorsy type folk are usually a younger set that can't afford expensive toys.

And unless you live near BLM land or in the Outback, there aren't very many places to go off road.

Those trailers aren't very pretty, but they sure are cool.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Permit me to contribute my 2 cents. If the goal is to attract a new generation, I think you need to think outside the box. Not only should there be a focus on lighter weight and lower cost, but consider that towing your living room, kitchen, potty, and bedroom down the road is not exactly a "sustainable" lifestyle that many of the younger generations strive for. Additionally, RVs are notoriously energy inefficient in other ways; Poorly insulated and requiring massive amounts of energy to heat and cool.

Until these items are addressed, you won't find many millennials picking up the AS banner.

On the other hand, if one were to focus on the needs of the future, one could envision a social network of energy conscious consumers, and a lifestyle that embraces these ideals, still enabled as a mobile ecosystem. To be mobile is not just a leisure activity dominated by older folks, but increasingly more a requirement for gainful employment, and lets face it, buying and selling real estate every few years is a losing proposition lately.

So consider mobile communities geared to all pursuits, both recreational and otherwise. Yes, today there are nomad workers occupying the back lots of urban fringe parks and these generally tend to be pretty low bid, and the folks living there of questionable integrity. Rather, I see a modern approach complete with state of the art infrastructure and amenities catering to a mobile workforce could ultimately be developed with a focus on green initiatives like recycling, energy conservation, and a host of other services.

But to really make it worthwhile, we need to start with mobile habitats that meet certain minimum requirements for sustainable living... That's the future the way I see it.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I hate to tell you folks this, but I spent New Years in the desert and I was the only old guy. The rest were Millenials. For the most part the equipment is a real mix, both old and new Airstreams, home made small houses on wheels, fifth wheels and a Few Class A's. along with a family of five in a pickup with a camper. There were over forty vehicles. Some of the new Airstreams had been customized and were much better for it. Also almost everyone was solar, and lithium batteries were in evidence. At the other end was a restored camper, with compost toilet and a tow vehicle that ran on fryer oil.

These were families that have evolved to living and working on the road. It was wonderful watching the integration of children, dogs, and families, and almost like living in a suburban environment, except everyone was mobile.

The Millenials are not waiting for Thor to wake up...some of the customizations were phenomenal.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Plan-B: 1958 Caravanner 22' Total costs, all in, $11K chassis and all contents. 3500 w dual fuel electric start generator on tongue. Spare on rear. Bulldog coupler. 12v front electric jack. Heat = wood or kerosene. 40 milk jugs for water. 20 1 pound propane ( refillable). Boil water in pressurized 45000 Btu turkey fryer (dishes and shower). Independent air suspension = 100% kneel for 40 below, 11'" to ground for extreme off road. Coleman stoves.. Cuisinart grill, candles , LED lanterns kerosene and propane too. Air couches make to queens. 1.2 amp frig and self made very efficient ice chest too. House window 8000 Btu A/C. Totally open floor plan = 100% gutted as contents are transported in Cadillac Escalade EXT.. and moved inside via foldable "little red wagon" to set up. Slant ramp entry. 2 T 105 batteries. 2200 w pure sine wave inverter. Viair 100% duty 12v air compressor w/ small aluminum tank. 2 1000w NuWave induction cook tops. All contents for outside use too under huge nylon tarp. 1,000 pounds in EXT. Tare weight of Caravanner = 2180 p0unds and 300 pound tongue can not vary. EXT is self leveling. I designed and built @ 72 years old. Stupid to spend 10 times more for limited capability, too complex, high failure rates, pain to winterize (and then can;t go out) and totally inferior product/ and the list goes on.
BigButtUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
Regarding previous comment on energy efficiency. I agree an Airstream could be more energy efficient and therefore more comfortable. But the same materials that make it a heat and cold sync also make it iconic and worthy of restoration years down the road because it lasts where other "SOB's" rot away.
Compared to the average sized house in America today a trailerites carbon and physical footprint are small.

And with regards to off-road adventures...have you seen Cape Town to Cairo?

Honestly, next time I see Dale I'm going to ask him if he thinks Wally would be spinning after seeing 8000lb + trailers that spend far too much time hooked up to 30a pedestals.
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Streamer View Post

Honestly, next time I see Dale I'm going to ask him if he thinks Wally would be spinning after seeing 8000lb + trailers that spend far too much time hooked up to 30a pedestals.

I'm sure the 8000 lb owners would agree with you that even one minute hooked up to a 30 amp pedestal would be too much, when they want their full 50 amps.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The conversion to a serious maximum capacity solar powered Airstream with a lithium battery system, an instant on propane only demand water heater, battery powered DanFoss compressor refrigerator, Michelin tires on appropriate wheels, Maxim skylights and Maxxfan ceiling fans etc can easily add 30% to 40% of the list price of an Airstream to the total investment.

We have modified our Classic and 23D extensively to fix short comings in the factory installed electrical equipment and cabinetry latches and lighting along with fixing all the initial QC issues.

Now the on going maintenance to protect the investment will be my job.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Why different, we like what we have. Not too big and not too small, everyone including us likes the look of it. We have traveled many times throughout the country with it, have over 1,000 nights in it and all of the original equipment is still working nicely after 4 1/2 years, none of the hardware or cabinets have broken. It tows beautifully with our Ram 1500 reg cab pickup, which gives us and the trailer a comfortable and inexpensive ride.

Upgrade as it suits you, we changed tires for long-distance reliability and living room for long-term comfort. Installed a ProPride hitch for extensive towing safety and ease.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
In my case, it has been kind of the opposite experience. We bought a new 2005 Safari 25FB, and camped over 1,300 night in it. It had its quality control issues, but we still enjoyed it immensely. We now have a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB that we also purchased new. We have now topped 200 nights in the new Airstream.

Our assessment of the quality control on the 2005 vs. the 2015 is that the 2015 is a much tighter and better built trailer that the 2005 was. The fit and finish of the the 2015 is noticeably better that the 2005.

Brian
Moosetags: my guess is, and I am hoping, my experience (lack of good factory QC) with my 25' 2016 AS, built in May 2015, was due to my AS was built during the massive factory expansion at AS. Their expansion was not just one of make the floor space bigger, they also changed out their assembly line manufacturing process from old school to new optimized manufacturing processes. Many of us in this transition of AS's expansion had similar QC issues. My dealer even noted they have never had so many returns for fixing things during this transition . These are all fixable and it did not distract from my love of my AS. Just a little disappointed with AS, it was preventable.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:02 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
McDave. A little reminder as to why foreign cars "cleaned our clock" It was not because of sloppy work as much as it was the price of the imports. A 1974 Chevy pickup sold for $3500 new, when I could have bought an import for half that. So $$$$ price was the biggest factor as to why people bought Japanese cars and trucks.
Now why the public buys from the big three is because imports can have the same problems as U.S.A made cars and truck. Bless the U.S.A.
Elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida

I respectfully disagree. My wife's 1992 Mazda Miata has 101k miles on it and has had two sets of brake pads and a new valve cover gasket. That's the sum total of repair costs (other than batteries and tires)

My 2004 Nissan Titan is just shy of 200k. I have about $4000 in repairs and upgrades over 11 years. The paint is shot but it drives like new and has never left me stranded.

While I have never owned a Chrysler product, I have owned both Ford and GMC products. They all start out great but the domestics all had rattles, groans or leaks by year three.

While the price advantage may well have been why imports got their toehold in the 60's, I think the build quality and solid engineering is what sells them now.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
My 04 Tahoe has about 225,000 miles and has not had half of that 4K in repairs and upgrades.

This has been consistent for me across the decades on my gas powered domestic branded vehicles, save my 93 Explorer...

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote