Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
AirForums Cyber-Assassination?

I read a curious article titled "Cyber-Assassination: Online Attacks can Ruin Your Reputation" on WBTV News website written by Molly Grantham - Anchor

Cyber Assassination: Online attacks can ruin your reputation - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

The article cites references to blogs where the subject of the article has had his reputation destroyed. The lone comment to the article points to Airforums and states "I'm familiar with the airforums.com website where this attack took place. Its a haven for bullying and one sided arguments which are initiated by clowns who have a gang mentality, ..."

Wow! That's news to me! I can't remember any bashing of any individual and I read Airforums daily. I do remember one cautionary entry on someone (maybe this guy) where a member or two posted about a bad experience, but certainly no trend of any kind. And on the whole, I've seen no "gang mentality" of any kind. Quite the opposite, I've found members to be respectful, considerate and kind in their comments on the whole.

It seems to me that the author did not read very many posts on the forum. I'd love to know the back story on this article. (Considerate comments only please.)

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Curious indeed. The article itself isn't exactly journalistic brilliance, but then there's not much of that these, anyway; it's not nearly specific enough for us to get excited about, just vague references and one (easily made) denial.

I will say, though, that it's not all sweetness and light on the Forum as I can attest to myself; I'm still smarting over the Private Message from a Forum Member telling me that I was an idiot and "an accident waiting to happen". However, I'm not complaining because debate is to be encouraged. If comments are perceived to be damaging to reputations then that's a matter for the moderators, but usually (in my experience) it's a good, healthy exchange of views. Except of course when people adopt hearsay and misconceptions as fact; but that would never happen on here, would it? *grin*

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
Old 02-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I believe it is sour grapes. The guy was scamming people and he got upset that it got out in the open. I have been reading posts on this sight that go back at least 5 yrs and never have I read any personal attacks. There are differences of opinions but in general, folks are well behaved on here. All I can say that if this guy was being criticized on these forums he probably deserved it.

Do a search on Greg Gibson and judge for yourself. The name does come up.

Perry
Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Perhaps you should threaten to sue that person.....there's a lot of that going on lately here!

Fine Print: This is a tongue-in-cheek comment, and should not be taken seriously. All persons and events appearing in this comment are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The reader assumes all responsibility and cannot hold the author liable for any reason.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 02-17-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
Perhaps you should threaten to sue that person.....there's a lot of that going on lately here!

Fine Print: This is a tongue-in-cheek comment, and should not be taken seriously. All persons and events appearing in this comment are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. The reader assumes all responsibility and cannot hold the author liable for any reason.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I believe it is sour grapes. The guy was scamming people and he got upset that it got out in the open. I have been reading posts on this sight that go back at least 5 yrs and never have I read any personal attacks. There are differences of opinions but in general, folks are well behaved on here. All I can say that if this guy was being criticized on these forums he probably deserved it.

Do a search on Greg Gibson and judge for yourself. The name does come up.

Perry
Indeed. As I said earlier, it wasn't a great piece of journalism, was it?

Old 02-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Anyone who genuinely believes that his or her personal reputation has been harmed can file suit for libel (verbal) or slander (written or otherwise published) against the persons who defamed his character.

A finding of slander or libel requires proof of two things:
1 - Were false statements made against him? A true statement cannot be slanderous no matter how unflattering it may be;
2 - Did he suffer harm from the statements? This one is hard to prove. Even if he lost 90% of his business, he has to prove he lost business because of the false statements, and not for any other reason such as the economy drying up his customer base's discretionay funds.
Also, the burden of proof is on him; as the person filing suit, he would be the plaintiff, so he is the one who has to prove the statements were false; the persons who made the statements do not have to prove they were true.

Crying to the news media about, "What should I do? Those people were so mean to me!" may allow that person to feel better about himself but does nothing to repair his reputation.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Wow! If anyone thinks this forum has anything like that going on, should really check out another forum I'm on...the Purse Forum...now that one gets crazy sometimes - lots of people get banned over there for various things! Ironically, they use the same web layout as this forum does.

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Let Joe do it...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	just-the-facts-dregnet.jpg
Views:	145