Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Air Forums and Fire Fox

It is becoming increasingly difficult to use Air Forums with Fire Fox. Historically once set up Fire Fox would open Air Forums directly and have me signed in. Access would remain open as long as I had the computer turned on. Some time back the auto fill in of my identity was stopped and I had to start typing my user name to sign in. Once I started to type Fire Fox would complete the auto fill in and i would have access. While that was a pain it has gotten worst. Now I have to start to sign in and yes Fire Fox will complete the auto fill in but will not long retain my access through the period i am on the computer requiring me to resign in frequently during the day.

Of all the different web sites I use this is the only one that Fire Fox, using retained log in information, will not complete my sign in as I click to open the site.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed? I also use Firefox and it keeps me logged in for days. I usually frequent the Forum daily, but on occasion I am away for several days and when I come back, I am still logged in. By that, I mean that I do not have to enter username and password.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
It works fine for me. If you get signed out, the next time you sign in I think there is a check box that says "keep me signed in". Are you checking that?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:19 AM   #4
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Firefox is dying out pretty quickly at this point...so might be worth noting the bullet and switching to another piece of software.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I use 51.0.1

I just checked the settings in Tools, Security. Logins, saved Logins and Air Forums in a saved site with today's date as the dated created. I closed the tab and reopened it and it had me signed in automatically.

While that was a complete supersize I will have to get back to you as to if will happen again. Based on history I don't expect it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:49 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
Firefox is dying out pretty quickly at this point...so might be worth noting the bullet and switching to another piece of software.
I work for Mozilla, and am on the Firefox team.

Firefox isn't dying out. It has a steady market share, and while its certainly less than some other browsers, it's enough for the organization to pursue its mission.

It may be worth noting for those who may not know, Mozilla is a non profit with a mission to protect internet access, standards, provide software, and more, in the public interest.

Aside from that, a huge amount of focus on going on in engineering with Firefox. Specifically regarding login, if you use the non-release versions (e.g. developer edition) you'll see some changes in the login mechanisms as one of the teams is working on revamping that experience. Right now, It's actually more annoying in some ways than the version you probably use, but it will be a great improvement once they get through some of the issues.

If you need help, I'm happy to point you to where you can get that. I don't want to turn my airforums experience into work , but wanted to respond to this, and to the problem that OP is having.
mixedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
I'm also using 51.0.1

No issues here...
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
I use Firefox on Ubuntu and Windows as well as Chrome/Chromium on both platforms and never had an issue with this Forum or logins. I did have a problem where I had to frequently log in when at a remote site recently but found out it was their router which had a short DNS lease for every computer.
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Fallon , Nevada
Lightbulb cookies

I was having the same problem with Fire Fox. I deleted my cookies and it's all better, now. I recommend you do the same.
All the best, Dave, the Scourge of the ION
Scorge-ION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
There is an offshoot of Firefox called WaterFox that you might want to check out. It fixes some known problems with Firefox that have apparently been on Mozilla's back burner for a long time. It has quite a following and I use it eveyday on Airforums with no problems.

Mc
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Thanks MixedPuppy. Good to know you are here. An annoyance I encounter, which is not anything with FireFox, has to do with Airforums itself. When I log on a script starts to run in the background that locks up everything for a short time. A pop up screen finally appears with the option to click on a "stop script" button. I always use it, so I have no idea what the script is actually doing.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post

Firefox isn't dying out. It has a steady market share, and while its certainly less than some other browsers, it's enough for the organization to pursue its mission.

It may be worth noting for those who may not know, Mozilla is a non profit with a mission to protect internet access, standards, provide software, and more, in the public interest.

Aside from that, a huge amount of focus on going on in engineering with Firefox. Specifically regarding login, if you use the non-release versions (e.g. developer edition) you'll see some changes in the login mechanisms as one of the teams is working on revamping that experience. Right now, It's actually more annoying in some ways than the version you probably use, but it will be a great improvement once they get through some of the issues.

If you need help, I'm happy to point you to where you can get that. I don't want to turn my airforums experience into work , but wanted to respond to this, and to the problem that OP is having.

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit below Howie, but it may get Firefox improved for all of us users to lay out some of it's problems, since we have a live one on here!

I have not run into your problem Howie with 51.0.1 & Airforums sign-in, but had issues before on earlier versions of FF, but don't recall how I fixed it, sorry to say.

Well then, if Mixedpuppy works for Mozilla on Firefox, then please alert your folks that the latest update to 51.0.1 hangs-up when I try to do a CarMax.com search - which never happened before (WIN10 on a new in 2016 Toshiba combo laptop), whereas one of the older desktops on XP & since the update to 51.0.1 this past week does CarMax search fine, but hangs-up on other websites & continues to crash (that XP is in the process of being transitioned to another WIN7 desktop in my office). I suspect you have some various conflicts, depending upon the version of WIN, Linux, etc. that folks are running (maybe Apple too?).

So it sounds like it Mozilla's FF team have some debugging to do.

Mozilla would be better served to have an easy to use contact us on their website, for users to report these bugs & serve as your post-beta testers. The current system is Byzantine, & the average person does NOT want to go thru all sorts of extra steps to log in to spacebook, twatter or any other social media, etc. & then try to find where & how to report an issue.

How about a straightforward "Report a Bug" tab on your own FF (& TB) main webpage, & then have a live person read them & pass them on to the appropriate programmers!!??

Also, as a multi-window/multi-tab user - Firefox is far more inefficient & memory/processor hungry trying to re-save data constantly - requiring me to dump & restart it every day or several times if I search thru my windows/tabs much (longstanding issue with FF) - & should really be streamlined in that respect.

BTW - being a non-profit only means that you don't & can't show a profit, but not that Mozilla is not a "going business entity." So they really need to stop throwing out NFP status as a reason why this or that isn't quite fixed.

I like FF, & Netscape before that & T'bird, but Mozilla really does need to open channels to their users & to be more responsive to the issues identified by users.

Most users are not going to screw around with all the hoops put in front of them to fix someone else's product, & I doubt that any car/truck nor Airstream/TT owner would put up with the type of finger-pointing & lack of supplier repairing issues, as is found in the IT industry!

Thanx for offering your assistance!

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
When you sign in you have to check the "keep me signed in box" or you will be logged out OR you may be deleting the Airforum cookie not sure this would keep you signed out but on some sites it will require you to sign in without the cookie.

I use FF and have not had the problem.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
I use 51.0.1

I just checked the settings in Tools, Security. Logins, saved Logins and Air Forums in a saved site with today's date as the dated created. I closed the tab and reopened it and it had me signed in automatically.

While that was a complete supersize I will have to get back to you as to if will happen again. Based on history I don't expect it.
I don't think it is you. I am having similar problems. In some cases when I am composing a longer email response, I hit "Review" and get the sign-in demand even though I was clearly signed in when I started the post. Frustrating since some of these take a bit of time. I kicked myself for not using Word and then cut and pasting into the AirForums window. It precludes exactly what you noted.

I have moved to Chrome and haven't had much of a problem. Too bad, I like Firefox.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver.Sanctuary View Post
I don't think it is you. I am having similar problems. In some cases when I am composing a longer email response, I hit "Review" and get the sign-in demand even though I was clearly signed in when I started the post. Frustrating since some of these take a bit of time. I kicked myself for not using Word and then cut and pasting into the AirForums window. It precludes exactly what you noted.

I have moved to Chrome and haven't had much of a problem. Too bad, I like Firefox.
Before hitting "Review" I do a CTRL-A (Select All) and CTRL-C (Copy). Easy to do and saves the contents of the post in case anything goes wrong. My biggest problem has been AirForums not responding, presumably when it is busy.

Re: Chrome, when I tried it a year or so ago it loaded up my machine with components that my antivirus objected to. When I tried to remove it it left components behind that I could not uninstall or delete. I don't want an app that is that invasive and pervasive.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:19 PM   #16
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Some believe it is unfortunate . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedpuppy View Post

Firefox isn't dying out. . . .

. . . It may be worth noting for those who may not know, Mozilla is a non profit with a mission to protect internet access, standards, provide software, and more, in the public interest.
that Mozilla didn't "protect" family values when they forced their CEO out in 2014 for giving a donation to a pro-family movement in California.

. . . and then, some believe it is criminal.

https://stream.org/brendan-eich-fire...w-web-browser/

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #17
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorththree View Post
that Mozilla didn't "protect" family values when they forced their CEO out in 2014 for giving a donation to a pro-family movement in California.

. . . and then, some believe it is criminal.

https://stream.org/brendan-eich-fire...w-web-browser/
I'm right there with you on that one.....
I still use Firefox under Ubuntu OS mainly because it is a good browser..... and it's not MS, and it's not Google.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
There is an offshoot of Firefox called WaterFox that you might want to check out. It fixes some known problems with Firefox that have apparently been on Mozilla's back burner for a long time. It has quite a following and I use it eveyday on Airforums with no problems.

Mc
I googled water fox what came up for down load is 64 bit not 32 bit so some can not use.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #19

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
When you sign in you have to check the "keep me signed in box" or you will be logged out OR you may be deleting the Airforum cookie not sure this would keep you signed out but on some sites it will require you to sign in without the cookie.

I use FF and have not had the problem.
Garry,
I don't get a 'keep me signed in box' I get a 'remember me' check box.

Anyway, my sign-in lasts only minutes. Oftentimes I can't even get a reply typed and it has kicked me out and then refreshing is a joke.

I thought it was an Airstream Forum problem. I'm going to try different browsers.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #20

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
Do you have the latest version of Firefox installed? I also use Firefox and it keeps me logged in for days. I usually frequent the Forum daily, but on occasion I am away for several days and when I come back, I am still logged in. By that, I mean that I do not have to enter username and password.
You are blessed my friend.

I get kicked out before I can preview a reply.