Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Seal Rock , Oregon
Watch out for your AS Two Year warranty period!

Our AHA moment just happened! We purchased our 2013 Airstream on July 24th according to records, but picked up our 22FB Sport on August 2nd of 2013 from Airstream Adventures NW in Gladstone, OR.

I normally thought I would have till the end of August 2015 to have any warranty work done on it, so called our Dealer for an appointment for middle of August. They told me that Airstream would NOT cover any warranty work done as our warranty date ran out on July 24th. I mentioned that we didn't take possession of the trailer until August 2, but to no avail! So BEWARE of your warranty anniversary! Don't be a day late or MOTHER AIRSTREAM will cut you off!

My particulars were that I called on the 11th to book a service spot, so I was 9 days over my possession date. I had had on going discussions with the service department this past year with items that needed attention, but due to the 60's temperatures where we live, I didn't want to travel 200 miles over to Portland where it has been in the 90's to have work done. Oh well! I'm performing my own warranty work successfully and ordering online and shipping in any new parts quicker and at a cheaper price than purchasing through my previous dealer. I let them know that they had lost me as a customer due to their in my opinion unfair practice. I did receive a 2nd year birthday notice from them, but no mention of a particular date that warranty work would have to be accomplished by!

So BEWARE of your WARRANTY CUT OFF DATE!

Don Wheeler, ODSCS
ODSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
If you shorten the chains and then get a different truck or hitch...

Alternative instead of physically shortening (cutting) the chain.

Remove the chain from the hook and and reattach the hook in the appropriate position on the chain to get the desired slack. Use zip-tie or keychain ring to tie up the resultant excess chain back on itself.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:49 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Don, I would of called Jackson Center directly for an opinion on the warranty period. In fact I would still call and let them know what happened. Does not sound right to me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSCS View Post
Our AHA moment just happened! We purchased our 2013 Airstream on July 24th according to records, but picked up our 22FB Sport on August 2nd of 2013 from Airstream Adventures NW in Gladstone, OR.

I normally thought I would have till the end of August 2015 to have any warranty work done on it, so called our Dealer for an appointment for middle of August. They told me that Airstream would NOT cover any warranty work done as our warranty date ran out on July 24th. I mentioned that we didn't take possession of the trailer until August 2, but to no avail! So BEWARE of your warranty anniversary! Don't be a day late or MOTHER AIRSTREAM will cut you off!

My particulars were that I called on the 11th to book a service spot, so I was 9 days over my possession date. I had had on going discussions with the service department this past year with items that needed attention, but due to the 60's temperatures where we live, I didn't want to travel 200 miles over to Portland where it has been in the 90's to have work done. Oh well! I'm performing my own warranty work successfully and ordering online and shipping in any new parts quicker and at a cheaper price than purchasing through my previous dealer. I let them know that they had lost me as a customer due to their in my opinion unfair practice. I did receive a 2nd year birthday notice from them, but no mention of a particular date that warranty work would have to be accomplished by!

So BEWARE of your WARRANTY CUT OFF DATE!

Don Wheeler, ODSCS

I would recommend calling the factory.

When we bought our 2012 in December 2012, we knew we wouldn't be picking it up until March/April 2013. We had the dealer talk with the factory and got in writing their commitment that our warranty would last 2 years from the date of delivery. If that was April 6, I knew I had until 4/6/15 to call about warranty issues (not up til the end of April 2015).

Even if you didn't get that agreement in advance, you should be able to talk with the factory about it - they don't have to, but they might honor the request (though they might balk at 2 years from delivery ending before your call if 8/11 - it may still be worth a kind/gentle discussion with them).

As it stands now, according to their records, you weren't a day late or 9 days late, you were more than a couple weeks late. But if you talked with the dealer about these issues DURING a the warranty period (do you have emails to that effect?) they typically should be honored IMO.

Good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:09 AM   #85
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Things get difficult when one waits until the last minute. Seems like more of a problem than it used to be. Hope you can work it out.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Seal Rock , Oregon
Appreciate your comments! Airstream Adventures NW was responsive to one of my needs and is taking care of it as it was an existing problem, they tried to get mother Airstream to OK any other work, but AS wouldn't allow it. I'm OK with the outcome as I'm learning more about adjusting hinges, working with the hitch setup and can accomplish most of this out on the coast as apposed to traveling over 200 miles to our nearest dealer.
ODSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Put the coupler latch down before you open the tailgate!
How lucky am I that the coupler latch aligns with the tailgate handle without denting or scratching the tailgate?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440256871.818910.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	246018
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440256895.658093.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	246019

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Put the coupler latch down before you open the tailgate!
How lucky am I that the coupler latch aligns with the tailgate handle without denting or scratching the tailgate?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
In the immortal words of Maxwell Smart, "missed it by THAT much".
You are indeed, lucky
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:36 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Everyone is entitled to at least one fatal error--Maxwell Smart

One of my faves...

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:06 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Something not to do. Use a straight razor to clean bug scat off your windows. The dark tint is not in the glass, but on the glass. I scratched three windows before realizing this. Hardly noticeable, but I know it's there.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Something not to do. Use a straight razor to clean bug scat off your windows. The dark tint is not in the glass, but on the glass. I scratched three windows before realizing this. Hardly noticeable, but I know it's there.
I wonder if the windows on the newer AS are like that too, with the glass tint applied and not in the glass itself. I was getting ready to put some stickers on my windows, assuming I could just scrape it off later when they faded. Maybe I should put it on the aluminum and when I want to take if off I can use one of the 3M eraser wheels.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote