Old 07-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Use the electric tongue jack to lift the truck and trailer so the weight bars come off by hand. Never use the cheater/lever.
If you use an Equal-i-zer hitch, store the weight bars in the L-brackets so you never have to lift them. Just slide them back.
On the Classics with the belly pan water hookup compartment, route the hoses through the bottom of the compartment and close the door.
Use a pool noodle on the awning arm to keep from walking into it, or to at least make it hurt less when you do walk into the awing arm.
Make reservations 6 months to 1 year ahead so you get to go camping instead of sitting home.
When winterizing, don't forget the outside faucet and toilet valve.
Before driving away, make sure you have everything from the campsite loaded, all compartments closed, the sewer cap is on, the TV antenna is down, the umbilical cord is connected, tow mirrors are extended, and the truck is in tow/haul mode.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Use a pool noodle on the awning arm to keep from walking into it, or to at least make it hurt less when you do walk into the awing arm.
I just added a pool noodle to my shopping list. I think I have a large dent in my awning arm near the door that pretty much matches the shape of my head. (No, not the other way around, my head's too hard, just ask my wife.) What a great idea. How about the guy wire/ropes for the screened enclosure over the picnic table? I was thinking of some kind of clip-on sleeve.

Quote:
Make reservations 6 months to 1 year ahead so you get to go camping instead of sitting home.
For Florida snow birding at least, it's possible to find places in the middle of the state as late as mid-December. The further south or closer to the coast, the tougher it is. You may have to move from spot to spot and you may not get the best spot, but you'll be warm . We made reservations at Christmas and spent a month, could have stayed longer. The more popular sites are definitely harder to get, some reservations are 2 years out.

Quote:
Before driving away, make sure the TV antenna is down, the umbilical cord is connected....
We have an "antenna monkey", a visual control. It's a stuffed monkey with Velcro on its hands and feet. We put him on the antenna crank to remind us to crank it down. (Technical term is 'visual control'.)

I need to figure out something for the umbilical cord. I forget sometimes, until the first time I have to stop and have a difficult time with it. I need something to put in the TV cab to remind me.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Maybe some here could transfer this to Stream'n.

....honey why isn't it coming off the Trailer?

Bob
Old 07-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I just added a pool noodle to my shopping list. I think I have a large dent in my awning arm near the door that pretty much matches the shape of my head. (No, not the other way around, my head's too hard, just ask my wife.) What a great idea. How about the guy wire/ropes for the screened enclosure over the picnic table? I was thinking of some kind of clip-on sleeve.

For Florida snow birding at least, it's possible to find places in the middle of the state as late as mid-December. The further south or closer to the coast, the tougher it is. You may have to move from spot to spot and you may not get the best spot, but you'll be warm . We made reservations at Christmas and spent a month, could have stayed longer. The more popular sites are definitely harder to get, some reservations are 2 years out.

We have an "antenna monkey", a visual control. It's a stuffed monkey with Velcro on its hands and feet. We put him on the antenna crank to remind us to crank it down. (Technical term is 'visual control'.)

I need to figure out something for the umbilical cord. I forget sometimes, until the first time I have to stop and have a difficult time with it. I need something to put in the TV cab to remind me.

Antenna monkey?
That's just funny!
To remember the umbilical, do a pre-trip/walk-around before you drive away- checking all lights- running, marker, clearance,stop, tail, brake, turn signal, reverse, and license plate. Also, check the trailer brakes.
I still walk around the rig checking everything again even after I am sure everything is done.
Another thing- make sure the steps are folded up.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
I rarely need a 50' water hose. I made two from it with a knife and some fittings, a 15 and a 35.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
TAC AL-8
2017 Canopenian
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Always limit coffee intake and use the bathroom before leaving. Unless of course you want to stop in a couple hours. When we were mc touring we drank coffee to force ourselves to have a rest stop as to not get too fatigued.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
When winterizing, don't forget the outside faucet and toilet valve.
And if you have a black water tank flush connection, be sure to blow it out with compressed air as it has a check valve in it and will freeze.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
The absolute very best AHA moment .....

You reach your destination .....

You've got the perfect campsite ......

You set up .....

You mix Martini's ......

You toast each other ......

Life couldn't be better .....

Jay (and Marg)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Maybe some here could transfer this to Stream'n.

....honey why isn't it coming off the Trailer?

Bob
Woof! Nice sled

I used to support helicopters in a far off land and we had those things all over them. I've thought about something like that for the AS's umbilical cord. No recent incidents but a couple months ago I was pulling out of the storage lot and wondering why the controller wasn't kicking in. "NC" means nincompoop I think. Anyway, for now, I'm remembering.

As to the boat, have you done that forgettin' thing the other way? Last year I drove back from a fishing trip, 950 miles, no stern tie downs. Found them in the back of the SUV when I was unloading. I've left them on a couple of times and had to pull out to retrieve them, only left them off that one time in all the years I've towed and launched boats (which is a lot of years).

Toyota taught me quite a bit about 'visual control', hence the antenna monkey. It's not used only for the vehicles, also used for safety and other areas. It can be a sign, a flag, a pop-up on a computer, almost anything. It's just supposed to call out to you to prevent/remind you of something.

Now a poka-yoke is something entirely different.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 07-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Antenna monkey?
That's just funny!
To remember the umbilical, do a pre-trip/walk-around before you drive away- checking all lights- running, marker, clearance,stop, tail, brake, turn signal, reverse, and license plate. Also, check the trailer brakes.
I still walk around the rig checking everything again even after I am sure everything is done.
Another thing- make sure the steps are folded up.

Well, that's what was on sale at the Cracker Barrel. It the giraffe had been on sale it would have had another name.

I do a walk around before leaving. Still, I've looked right at the connection and forgotten it. I don't get far before I remember. I always check the lights and breakaway wire, chains. My boat umbilical is towards the front, the AS I tuck away behind the propane box and it's out of site. I need to get some 'remove before flight' like Robert has for the steps, although I've never forgotten them. (Some PO has, I recently discovered a dent just aft of them.) I have to say, those flags look pretty cool on his boat.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
What?

What? The awning has four notches?
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:08 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Woof! Nice sled

I used to support helicopters in a far off land and we had those things all over them. I've thought about something like that for the AS's umbilical cord. No recent incidents but a couple months ago I was pulling out of the storage lot and wondering why the controller wasn't kicking in. "NC" means nincompoop I think. Anyway, for now, I'm remembering.

As to the boat, have you done that forgettin' thing the other way? Last year I drove back from a fishing trip, 950 miles, no stern tie downs. Found them in the back of the SUV when I was unloading. I've left them on a couple of times and had to pull out to retrieve them, only left them off that one time in all the years I've towed and launched boats (which is a lot of years).

Toyota taught me quite a bit about 'visual control', hence the antenna monkey. It's not used only for the vehicles, also used for safety and other areas. It can be a sign, a flag, a pop-up on a computer, almost anything. It's just supposed to call out to you to prevent/remind you of something.

Now a poka-yoke is something entirely different.
Rich,

The launch ramp can be just as much fun as the Camp Ground....

Years ago...First boat...new Captain....me.
I had seen someone back in, stop abruptly and the boat slid right off the trailer.

I tried it...boat slid right off the trailer...dock line slid right out of DW's hands and boat ended up drifting alone in the middle of the Erie Canal.

Bob
Old 07-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
The tide. I was new to Oregon and went to Cannon Beach to see the sandcastle festival. Parked on the beach where the sheriff directed me. With wife and 2 little ones walked, ate lunch, strolled, came back and saw our Chevy pickup was about 300 yards out in the ocean. Fortunately it was only up to the rockers. A guy with a 4wd Ford pulled me out (I only had 2wd) and his only price was I had to endure a lecture about why I should have bought a Ford
Old 07-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post
I rarely need a 50' water hose. I made two from it with a knife and some fittings, a 15 and a 35.

I carry a 25' and a 10'.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955