Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Aftermarket Equipment from Dealer

I'm picking up my Airstream next month from Colonial. I would assume they have some aftermarket options/equipment available. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions? They will be installing my Propride. Thanks.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Colonial has no after market equipment available beyond hitches unless they've added it in the past 3 years.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Colonial has a selection of common stuff in their service building. Really depends on what you need. They also have a catalog that you can order from. Best to make a list. Check prices at CampingWorld and Amazon. Don't buy everything you think you need until you find that you really really need it.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Aftermarket meaning water and sewer hoses. etc? Amazon is your best friend for that sort of stuff.
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Dealers will often put together a freebie package for customers buying new. No guarantees, but may include sewer connector and water hose, gloves, emergency equipment, etc.

Enjoy your new '15!!
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I'm picking up my Airstream next month from Colonial. I would assume they have some aftermarket options/equipment available. Do you guys have any ideas or suggestions? They will be installing my Propride. Thanks.
Get some Centramatic balancers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Colonial has a selection of common stuff in their service building. Really depends on what you need. They also have a catalog that you can order from. Best to make a list. Check prices at CampingWorld and Amazon. Don't buy everything you think you need until you find that you really really need it.
Don't Buy everything you think you need until you find that you really really need it. AMEN BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

The euphoria of having your first Airstream will cause you to enter a manic state. You will want to decorate your Airstream and get all of the goodies - That's why so many rallies feature "swap meets" - to get rid of goodies that take too much space. You don't need a camper egg keeper unless your niece gives you eggs from her really free range chickens when you go visit her. You probably won't need a Keurig - Even if you like those often stale little pods, you can dump the pod into a fine filter and pour boiling water through the filter into your mug. If you're planning to boondock you'll just love anyone who'll give you empty buckets from drywall mud or cat litter. Just too too handy as storage for stinky slinky's or sewer solutions. The round 5 gallon ones can be covered with fabric and seat padded on one side and smooth wood on the other. Great for storage, "coffee tables", hassocks to plop your legs on, and as sit-upons at the campfire. Good for carrying small kindling, charcoal, etc.

There are many adaptive ideas that are pure brilliance - use empty Tic-Tak containers for spices that you only need a little bit of (not practical for full timers who have no home kitchen.) Keep them all in one clear container.

Don't buy a single storage container until you've measured every place you plan to store food - height is also limited by the swing of the cabinet door. When you find a cabinet door that swings down (under the fridge and oven) consider putting a rack on the inside of the door to deliver the goods OUT to you.

You CAN buy in bulk at Sam's Club or Price Costco... But that's best done if you can arrange an "urban rally" of at least 4 to 6 other trailers in their parking lot. OMG - Virginia Beach has a BJ's Wholesale with a HUGE lot! We could take it like Sherman took Savannah! (OK history buffs, what is odd about that last sentence?)

In short, restrain yourself for the first three months or so - or buy from thrift stores. When you buy something you really like AND use often you'll value it more.

Paula
Old 11-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
And your new trailer will come with a 'welcome' kit or something similarly named. Stinky slinky, gloves, couple of attachments, toilet paper and chem paks if I remember my delivery earlier in the year.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Hey Paula, the first thing I bought for my new to me AS was a Keurig coffee maker.

But, hey, I'm weird. I have one at my office, as well as one at home. My pods don't get a chance to get stale. I buy 'em by the cases from a coffee service, and drink coffee all day long, and right up to bedtime.

Yes, it takes up a lot of counter space, but it's worth it.

Oh yeah, Joyce drinks the English Breakfast tea.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Thanks all.

I have a camper now, so I know the drill. The first time I got it I went out and bought a bunch of stuff I didn't need in the end.

I more or less was looking to see if there is anything I should have the dealer do at the initial purchase, like a built-in surge protector or something of that nature.

I have all the sewer hoses, etc.

BTW, what are Centramatic balancers?
Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Aftermarket Equipment from Dealer

Quote:

Hi Ted,
Congratulations on your new Airstream! We bought a new 2014 FC 20' from Colonial this past spring (picked up in June). Colonial presented us following the 2.5 hr. walk through inspection and operation....with a huge box of RV stuff....cannot remember all the details. Heck, we have been to so many different Walmart RV departments....it is all a blur! But forum folks really provided great tips....do not over due it. You will learn what you need as you begin to use your Airstream...fresh water hose extensions, water containers to refill when hookups not available, electrical connectors, etc. We tried to buy extra odd fuses & they just gave us a couple.
We did buy extra key blanks even though, you will get two sets.

Most importantly, enjoy your new trailer and be sure to take a few pictures as you leave Colonial on your adventure of a lifetime
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Ted, we bought our FC25 from Colonial less than two years ago, and you'll not be sorry for buying from Colonial!

I have purchased aftermarket items from Colonial's Parts Department (ask for Brian, who is the manager).

Not only do they have availability to most everything, Brian is willing to price match. Show him (within reason) a better deal and he will match it.

I don't think too many dealers would be willing to go that far. Colonial does.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Consider stainless exterior touches (furnace * modify to fit 2015*, hot water heater, water and shower doors) ... if they will give you good pricing on the accessories usually available from the AS store - but may be actually manufactured by after market contractors.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
Hey Paula, the first thing I bought for my new to me AS was a Keurig coffee maker.

But, hey, I'm weird. I have one at my office, as well as one at home. My pods don't get a chance to get stale. I buy 'em by the cases from a coffee service, and drink coffee all day long, and right up to bedtime.

Yes, it takes up a lot of counter space, but it's worth it.

Oh yeah, Joyce drinks the English Breakfast tea.
Us too and I wouldn't leave home without it. We have the smallest Keurig they make and it's a no-muss-no-fuss setup. No coffee grounds, no boiled over mess, and I get my coffee in 3 minutes. the wife likes a light grind and I like a French roast; everyone is happy. I don't have to make a whole pot just for one cup. when boondocking I do have an older Revere perc that is fun, but a lot of cleanup with that system.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM   #15

2007 19' Bambi
Monterey , Massachusetts
Not sure what size your past trail was but a word of advice if it was smaller -
Plan your return trip around NYC. Maybe up the NY thruway and over to the Ma Pike. I picked up our AS from Colonial and ended up over the George Washington, through the City and Into Conn. Was not the first adventure I would have planned.
Also spend time with the guy installing your hitch. Get the install run down and any tricks to make it easier
Good luck and enjoy
waterspan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:58 AM   #16
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Interesting how we get fixated on coffee. The first year (when I didn't have 120V), I'd boil water and make instant coffee. My motivation for installing a 2000W inverter was SPECIFICALLY so I could have the smallest model Keurig and have REAL coffee (without fuss, grounds, etc) on the road. That later led to installing 400W of solar panels, etc. Trust me. One thing adds to another and another. Half the fun of the Airstream is making it truly your own. You'll figure this out after you take delivery...
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
When we first got a trailer and set up camp, we assessed our needs and made a run to Walmart. As time goes on, we buy more things that enhance the experience, but nothing we don't need. Hoses, levelers, water pressure regulator, sewer hose connections, area rugs, charcoal, and bedding were among the first purchases. Many things were supplied from the house- more bedding and dishes and food.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterspan View Post
I picked up our AS from Colonial and ended up over the George Washington, through the City and Into Conn. Was not the first adventure I would have planned.
Hmmm.

The George Washington Bridge. I can tell you the rudest toll both attendant I have ever met, I met there.

We'll go around.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Ted,

What ever you buy, and when ever you buy it, check other RV places to see what the are charging for the same thing. Send me a PM if you would like to know why I say that.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #20

2007 19' Bambi
Monterey , Massachusetts
If you have an E-Z Pass you don't have to stop at the tolls. It will add in the trailer automatically. It wasn't the toll booths but the three lanes of bumper-to-bumper New York drivers. The advice of picking a lane and staying in it was never truer.
If you can arrange it plan to pick it up early. It will feel much better with extra time to get home.
Be safe and take it easy
waterspan is offline   Reply With Quote