Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #1

Knoxville , TN
Advice on 25F Flying Cloud

My wife and I are very seriously considering purchasing a new 25F Flying Cloud in 2018. We plan to stay in state, Fed, and private campgrounds that mostly have the standard hookups. Boon-docking may or may not be on the horizon.

These units come with almost everything standard but we are considering a convection and microwave combo and the max option for solar panels. We want to do it right. Any advice on the above? Are there any other factory options that you might recommend and why? Thanks in advance.
Cwithers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
If you do not anticipate boondocking, you may want to avoid the factory solar option. Many better systems exist. My wife and I use our (real) oven frequently and are very happy having it along with a (non-convection) microwave. Your needs may vary, particularly if you never bake.

If you are considering the 25', do check out the 27' too. Benefits include more legroom in bathroom, more wardrobe space, and more counter space.

The complete awning package should be standard and I would recommend it. Also would recommend considering the 50 amp service with two ACs if you are in the south.

Good luck!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'd recommend the twin bed arrangement. The front queen is very cramped. I had my 25fb converted from queen to twin. If you boondock and dry camp at NP you may need the LP oven. The convection/MW is mounted low and you have to get on your knees to use. I find it's easy to live without a microwave. Full awning package and get the 15k A/C vs 13.5k A/C. I'd opt out the Airstream solar and purchase a 3rd party solar system and replace the Interstate batteries with higher capacity AGM or flooded.

The 25RB (rear bedroom) can accommodate the microwave and LP oven. Bathroom is larger than FB but the shower pan has less leg room. Living area side couch is not as long as the FB. You can back into campsite spaces further with the RB because the entrance door is near the front. The FB the entrance door is in the rear.

Look at a 27fb. It's only 2ft longer and can accommodate the LP oven and microwave. Queen is mounted lengthwise vs crosswise but there is a twin option. Hall closet is bigger and more kitchen counter space. Get the dual A/C with the 27FB and awning package. 3rd party for solar.

Kelvin
Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
We bought our 25 foot Safari SE off the dealers lot and I remember commenting that I wish it had a propane oven -that we would never use a convection microwave. Now we use the microwave all the time for packaged or frozen meals and reheating take out. We do not use convection option - any baking or grilling is done outside on the Cuisinart propane unit. That keeps down the heat, mess and odors inside.

Our unit is placed low, below the stove top so it is a bit inconvenient to use. The display is impossible to read without bending over to look. A high mount microwave oven would be the ideal option IMHO But either way I would say it's a good option to have.

Another option we wondered about were the twin bed option. They work out really well for two people in a small space.

15k A/C would be good option if available.

Lastly, get a Sewer Solution. Best option we bought overall [emoji106]
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We originally wanted a base model FC25, but a factory fresh FC25 Rear Bed arrived at the dealer the same day we visited. It had every available factory option, which become price negotiable just like the trailer. We thoroughly inspected the trailer for any factory defects, found none, and purchased it all at a good price the same day. We have never regretted the factory options, and have used every one of them. We added/upgraded several non-factory items as well over time as we became familiar with it during some 1400 days/nights we traveled in it.

Airstreams have lousy seating comfort, basically a plywood bench with thick foam pads, except for the Classic model, which has a sofa. We took our Airstream FC25RB back to Jackson Center and had the seating changed to recliners, a center console, folding table, and storage cabinet installed. This conversion can only be done on the 25 Rear Bed model because the furnace location prevents it on 25-27 Front Bed models.

Our Airstream 25RB is a queen bed model, we put a Sleep Number RV Queen Radius Corner mattress in it and loved it. Some people don't like the East-West orientation of the bed which makes access more difficult for one person. Consider the twin bed model if you believe this may be a problem.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
We have FC 25 FB 2015

We have traveld extensively with our 25 and currently are full timing. We have not regretted our our purchase. We have the combo convection and micro. Love it. Solar and full awnings. A 27 would have serviced us a tad better but we manage quite well. If we boondock then we cook or bake on our vulcano in lodge ware. We have twin beds and did add gel toppers. We were in AZ two weeks ago. 119. We kept the thermostat on 90 but dropped it as the temp cooked in evenings. 50 amps with a second air would have been a blessing. We have gotten into every state, federal, county park. We enjoy the large seating area and often to not set up the dining table. Personal choices are what to focus on. There is not one right model. This was our 2 nd airstream. Purchased both new. First was a 22 bambi.
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
We, too, thought we would get the FC 25 --- until we went to our local AS dealer & sat in both the 25 & the 27, at which time my sweetie said, "The 25's bed is inconvenient, & the 27's bed will be a lot easier to make." We got the 27 FB queen (plus the microwave & awning package) & have never regretted it. Also, an AS dealer who personally owns a 25 told me that the 25's bed layout makes for a real headbanger getting up in the middle of the night, with hitting one's head on the overhead storage cabinet --- Ouch!

As for ACs, we sure could have used a 2nd one when we went to TX, its gulf coast, & Big Bend Park, & the SW in April & May, but since most of our camping is done in the NW, the single AC suffices --- it will lower the inside temp to 12-15 degrees below the outside temp, but no more. If I had to do it all over, I might reconsider getting the 2nd AC, although that means using a 50 amp cord, which is less convenient than the 30 amp cord.

We didn't get solar as we don't boondock (at least so far), but there have been lots of comments on this blog that you can obtain a much better & less expensive solar installation after-market than is available directly from AS.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #8
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Go for the after market solar by AM Solar and installed by Lew Ferber. Lots more bang for the buck.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I'd recommend the twin bed arrangement. The front queen is very cramped. I had my 25fb converted from queen to twin. If you boondock and dry camp at NP you may need the LP oven. The convection/MW is mounted low and you have to get on your knees to use. I find it's easy to live without a microwave. Full awning package and get the 15k A/C vs 13.5k A/C. I'd opt out the Airstream solar and purchase a 3rd party solar system and replace the Interstate batteries with higher capacity AGM or flooded.

The 25RB (rear bedroom) can accommodate the microwave and LP oven. Bathroom is larger than FB but the shower pan has less leg room. Living area side couch is not as long as the FB. You can back into campsite spaces further with the RB because the entrance door is near the front. The FB the entrance door is in the rear.

Look at a 27fb. It's only 2ft longer and can accommodate the LP oven and microwave. Queen is mounted lengthwise vs crosswise but there is a twin option. Hall closet is bigger and more kitchen counter space. Get the dual A/C with the 27FB and awning package. 3rd party for solar.

Kelvin
I generally agree with all of the above, including especially the uncomfortable bed.
It's an "East-West" orientation, and where-as the wife had no trouble getting into it from the 'hall' side, I was very unhappy with having to crawl into/out of, from the end. The edge of the bed is two inches from the wall, no room for your foot.
Storage space was at a premium also. So............

I gave it back to CanAm, and took a 30' FC.
Wow, Much better.
The 'North-South' bed is comfortable, and it has gobs of storage space.
Wardrobe is larger, shower is larger, bathroom is larger, and generally the whole thing just fits us to a 'T'.
Even dear wife is happy with it.
WE like it!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
we have the 27FB Flying cloud.... after looking closely at the 25FB ~~ the east west bed in the 25 is difficult -- no room for feet against the wall. We love the 27FB

Be sure to practice in and out of the bed in consideration of the 25FB in the queen configuration
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I also agree with others here. We have enjoyed our 25FB with two exceptions. There is no comfortable place to sit when weather dictates staying inside and I have a hard time getting in and out of my side of the bed. Yes I have banged my head several times and it is nearly impossible to make up the bed. The main reason that we went with the FB was to actually have a view when backed into a pretty spot rather than looking at the back of the truck or other campers. It was a poor choice on our part and we would have gone with the 27FB had we given it more thought.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Midland , Michigan
We bought a 25FB this year. We got the twin bed arrangement and like it so far. There is more room in the actual bedroom to stand and get dressed, and more storage compartments on the outside. If you want a queen bed, look hard at the 27 model as others have mentioned. Our old trailer had a sideways oriented queen, and my wife and I were tired of climbing over each other.

As far as packages, I would skip the airstream solar and get aftermarket. The airstream package seems pretty expensive for what it is. We got the full awning package, and the backup camera. I would recommend both. Our 25 has the convection microwave instead of the gas oven. I have no preference there, I never use either. I either cook outside on the grill, or use the stove top. My wife uses the microwave occasionally. We never used the gas oven in our old trailer and don't miss it.
azeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Midland , Michigan
I should also add, that if I didn't have two kids, I probably would prefer the 25RB over the FB that we got.
- The outside storage on the rear bed is more accessible (back of the trailer instead of behind the propane tanks).
- The bathroom is bigger in the rear bed model.
- I think you can also get both a microwave and oven on the rear bed, but I'm not sure about that.

The front bed model we bought has a longer couch which makes for more sitting and sleeping area for the kids when needed.
azeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We have a rear twin and couldn't be happier. Easy for both to get in/out of bed and very easy to make the beds.

We have the oven and the convect/microwave and like having both. Frankly we seldom use the oven, but it makes a great breadbox. The micro is great- never use the convection mode.

The 25' is just the right size for us.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
I don't know what the state and Fed parks are like back in your part of the country, but out here in the West many of the parks, especially those run by the Forest Service, are in remote mountain locations, up and down narrow roads, lacking full hook-ups, and many with restrictions on the size of trailer they can accommodate. You'll miss out on some of the best scenery and private campsites, though, if you choose a trailer that is too big or not well enough equipped to take advantage of these parks.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
You can back into campsite spaces further with the RB because the entrance door is near the front. The FB the entrance door is in the rear.
That's a very valid point I never thought of.
Having the door in the rear means you'll need access farther back in parking.
I was always told to get a front bedroom, because if you parked in a beautiful location, the best view is behind you, so enjoy it from the rear lounge.
However, I also look at the bath and shower. Sometimes the shower pan is compromised by the wheel wells, and so you need to corkscrew yourself into the shower.

I picked a rear queen, because it just rang all the right bells.

A convection microwave would not be a selling point or a deal breaker for me. I had a very large Panasonic microwave/convection at eye level in the MH and I never made friends with the convection. I burned everything.

Having the microwave under the counter is a big negative for me.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Another vote for the twin bed arrangement. We have 25'FB which works well for us. I will agree with the comment about poor seating arrangement when you must be indoors. I removed the dinette and the curb side seating and replaced it with a recliner and a self made folding table. The street side seating is as designed. A FB has the furnace under the street side seating or I would have put two recliners in it.

Here is a picture. Hopefully it helps see the options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	289369  
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
We went through the same questions when we bought our trailer. We wanted a 25, but bought the 27FB twin. It was about $5800 more (international) than the 25. Well worth the extra money!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Consider twin beds or get a 27 ft
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We have a 25 twins, First for about a microwave, unless wjen boondocking, you must think anout what tupe of Truck you are going to pull it with, if YOU are going for a 27ft you will need a good TT.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote