Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Tampa , Florida
Across the Gulf?

Hello to all as this is my 1st post.
Can anyone suggest a method of transporting our Airstream and truck from Tampa to Cancun area of Mexico? We plan to take a 7 week career break at the end of this year and would prefer to start in Mexico and wander back home. There was talk of a Tampa to Cancun ferry this year but not happening. I appreciate your input.
jtchristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Not sure if you aware, but Mexico may not be the safest place to "wander". Now I know a lot of us like to pretend there is no danger, but hello America .. Danger truly exists...
I wish you luck but would not want to recommend a path...I work at a Government installation and regularly get the travel warning memos. We have had to completely curtail our border crossings. Cartels are real. And they are dangerous. Be safe.

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Concur with casa. My friend flies to Mexico regularly; the flight/cabin crews are booked into a gated resort and are advised not to leave the confines during their layover.

Cancun seems to be safer than the west coast, but I would still be wary. An Airstream would stick out like a neon sign. Another friend's ex husband took off to Mexico in his new "I'm just divorced silver Mustang" and was never seen again (nor the Mustang).
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
you can't really blend into the woodwork pulling an Airstream. No shortage of great stuff to see in the good old US of A!
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Tampa , Florida
Thank you for the words of caution. May need to rethink my direction.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I am speechless....
Old 05-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I spend on average 1 week every couple of months in Mexico and have been doing so for the last 5 or 6 years. I usually end up somewhere in the Merida, Yucatan area. In all that time I have never had a problem with any of the locals. I travel along and eat and party where the locals do. The Yucatan is one of the safest places in the world. The majority of Mexico is also safe. It is the handful of locations where the drug cartels are killing each other off that makes the news. Unfortunately, Gringos do get caught up in the violence if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time or just get plain stupid and forget that they are guest in someone else’s home. Over all Mexico is no more dangerous than any other area of the US. Use common sense just as you would at home and you will be fine.
I have seen travel trailers and MOHOs all over Mexico. Even saw a couple of Airstreams my last trip. They were in Progreso in the Yucatan. Both the trailers and TVs had tags from New York. I spoke to the folks and they were spending a year plus traveling all over Mexico. There are many travel parks spread out around the country and lots of opportunities for boondocking. They said that very few parks have 30amp power or no power at all for several hours each day. They had both installed solar panels before the trip in anticipation of this. They also said that the only trouble they had in almost 9 months in Mexico was coming across the border. The US Border Patrol personnel were very rude and abusive in their opinion. All the people that they had met in Mexico had been very friendly and helpful. They had been enjoying their time in Mexico so much that they were considering extending the trip indefinitely.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
What freaks me most about the AS is the fact I cannot access the truck to make a quick getaway (when inside the trailer).

This is one big disadvantage of a trailer vs. a motorhome.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Tampa , Florida
Great info Michael and definitely of a different nature than previous responses.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, the people we have talked with who go into Mexico regularly are very comfortable with it. They have certain areas they visit and have no problems.

It's nice to hear of safe travels, but it only takes a bad story or two to scare novices off.

That may not be a bad thing, either.

Maggie
Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Lots of beautiful areas in the desert southwest to experience Mexican culture and food, without crossing the border. Suggest Texas gulf coast, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California, where it's much safer. Little, tucked-away villages, like Mesilla, NM, offer an authentic experience without crossing the border.

Mesilla, New Mexico, USA

You are wise to seriously consider travel advisories. We no longer visit Mexico due to drug violence.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Yucca Valley , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I spend on average 1 week every couple of months in Mexico and have been doing so for the last 5 or 6 years. I usually end up somewhere in the Merida, Yucatan area. In all that time I have never had a problem with any of the locals. I travel along and eat and party where the locals do. The Yucatan is one of the safest places in the world. The majority of Mexico is also safe. It is the handful of locations where the drug cartels are killing each other off that makes the news. Unfortunately, Gringos do get caught up in the violence if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time or just get plain stupid and forget that they are guest in someone else’s home. Over all Mexico is no more dangerous than any other area of the US. Use common sense just as you would at home and you will be fine.
I have seen travel trailers and MOHOs all over Mexico. Even saw a couple of Airstreams my last trip. They were in Progreso in the Yucatan. Both the trailers and TVs had tags from New York. I spoke to the folks and they were spending a year plus traveling all over Mexico. There are many travel parks spread out around the country and lots of opportunities for boondocking. They said that very few parks have 30amp power or no power at all for several hours each day. They had both installed solar panels before the trip in anticipation of this. They also said that the only trouble they had in almost 9 months in Mexico was coming across the border. The US Border Patrol personnel were very rude and abusive in their opinion. All the people that they had met in Mexico had been very friendly and helpful. They had been enjoying their time in Mexico so much that they were considering extending the trip indefinitely.
We just returned from 2 1/2 months in Baja Sur and never had any issues. Check our blog post on Gingergoesglamping.com for pictures.
Rbphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You need to inquire about RORO and ROPAX (roll-on/roll-off) ferries. Ropax carry passengers. You may need to check other ports like Miami and Houston. I have a friend who shipped a van along with belongings in a container when he moved to Jamaica, but that was expensive. The only ferries operating in Mexico that I am aware of are those between the mainland and Baja.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
It seems that most people that actually go to Mexico and spend some time down there come back with positive reports and memories, including myself. My brother has lived in San Miguel De Allende for over 30 years and has never in all that time had any crime related problems what so ever. Right now his business is having big time problems because of the negative view that is encouraged by the news media and the effect that is having on tourism. That is a shame because where he lives has a very low crime rate and is considered a very safe town to live in.

Ferry info Tampa to the Yucatan:
http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...-promised.html

Update to the above:
http://enjoycozumel.com/blog/posts/t...teaming-ahead/

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Lots of beautiful areas in the desert southwest to experience Mexican culture and food, without crossing the border. Suggest Texas gulf coast, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California, where it's much safer. Little, tucked-away villages, like Mesilla, NM, offer an authentic experience without crossing the border.

Mesilla, New Mexico, USA

You are wise to seriously consider travel advisories. We no longer visit Mexico due to drug violence.
We have been to Mesilla, NM, and found it charming.

We also drove southeastern Texas and, you're right, it is almost like being in Mexico. At least, it was for we who have never been to Mexico!

Had a windshield replaced in Laredo, an adventure in language challenges.

Maggie
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You need to inquire about RORO and ROPAX (roll-on/roll-off) ferries. Ropax carry passengers. You may need to check other ports like Miami and Houston. I have a friend who shipped a van along with belongings in a container when he moved to Jamaica, but that was expensive. The only ferries operating in Mexico that I am aware of are those between the mainland and Baja.
No ferries, though one is supposed to start up sometime in 2013 from Tampa to Cozumel. Yuo might have to ship your vehicle and trailer as freight, then fly down to meet them, though some freighters do have limited passenger accommodations.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Tampa , Florida
Thank you Mojo for the suggestion. That was my original question - how to get my truck & Airstream to Mexico.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Tampa , Florida
I agree with you 100%. Our world is as the media portrays it. We live in the 'hood' - 4 minutes from downtown Tampa and have never had a problem. We live live where we are because we choose to not because that is how others perceive it.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian View Post
I agree with you 100%. Our world is as the media portrays it. We live in the 'hood' - 4 minutes from downtown Tampa and have never had a problem. We live live where we are because we choose to not because that is how others perceive it.
Seminole Heights, where do you keep the AS?

If sort out the Mexico thing, be sure to share for the rest of us that may follow
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
If people watched the news stations in Los Angeles, they'd never visit LA either because of all the violence.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote