Old 05-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
Lots of beautiful areas in the desert southwest to experience Mexican culture and food, without crossing the border. Suggest Texas gulf coast, New Mexico, Arizona and southern California, where it's much safer. Little, tucked-away villages, like Mesilla, NM, offer an authentic experience without crossing the border.

Mesilla, New Mexico, USA

You are wise to seriously consider travel advisories. We no longer visit Mexico due to drug violence.
We have been to Mesilla, NM, and found it charming.

We also drove southeastern Texas and, you're right, it is almost like being in Mexico. At least, it was for we who have never been to Mexico!

Had a windshield replaced in Laredo, an adventure in language challenges.

Maggie

Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
You need to inquire about RORO and ROPAX (roll-on/roll-off) ferries. Ropax carry passengers. You may need to check other ports like Miami and Houston. I have a friend who shipped a van along with belongings in a container when he moved to Jamaica, but that was expensive. The only ferries operating in Mexico that I am aware of are those between the mainland and Baja.
No ferries, though one is supposed to start up sometime in 2013 from Tampa to Cozumel. Yuo might have to ship your vehicle and trailer as freight, then fly down to meet them, though some freighters do have limited passenger accommodations.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #17

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Thank you Mojo for the suggestion. That was my original question - how to get my truck & Airstream to Mexico.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #18

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
I agree with you 100%. Our world is as the media portrays it. We live in the 'hood' - 4 minutes from downtown Tampa and have never had a problem. We live live where we are because we choose to not because that is how others perceive it.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchristian View Post
I agree with you 100%. Our world is as the media portrays it. We live in the 'hood' - 4 minutes from downtown Tampa and have never had a problem. We live live where we are because we choose to not because that is how others perceive it.
Seminole Heights, where do you keep the AS?

If sort out the Mexico thing, be sure to share for the rest of us that may follow
Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I spend on average 1 week every couple of months in Mexico and have been doing so for the last 5 or 6 years. I usually end up somewhere in the Merida, Yucatan area. In all that time I have never had a problem with any of the locals. I travel along and eat and party where the locals do. The Yucatan is one of the safest places in the world. The majority of Mexico is also safe. It is the handful of locations where the drug cartels are killing each other off that makes the news. Unfortunately, Gringos do get caught up in the violence if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time or just get plain stupid and forget that they are guest in someone else’s home. Over all Mexico is no more dangerous than any other area of the US. Use common sense just as you would at home and you will be fine.
If people watched the news stations in Los Angeles, they'd never visit LA either because of all the violence.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTransit View Post
Seminole Heights, where do you keep the AS?

If you sort out the Mexico thing, be sure to share for the rest of us that may follow
Concur. I'd be interested in it as well. Sounds like it'd be an awesome blog to follow. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #22

2005 19' Safari
Tampa , Florida
An update

Wanted to give an update on this post. Best method of transport I could find for truck & 19' Airstream was Linea Penisular shipping out Panama City to Progresso Mexico on a weekly basis. Total cost $3025 but you are not allowed to accompany your vehicles and must set that up separately. For that reason, we have decided to take a extended southwest road trip from Florida to California and then spend time in Baja. Please let us know if you have any must see sites or adventures. Will be at Daytona Good Sam rally Nov. 2nd - 4th and hope to see you there.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
3K for shipping would definitely justify a road trip for me. Have a great time!

Please write from the road so we can "travel along" with you.

Dan