Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Accessory bar

I don't know if this is the right place for this or not. Maybe "on the road"? I don't know. Anyway ...

I was thinking that I'd like to sometimes mount a small fan over the bed to circulate some air at night (we sleep with the curtain to the bunk closed). Other times, I wouldn't mind having a small reading light. But I don't know that I want either of those permanently--I haven't owned the beast long enough--and I was thinking of using magnets.

BUT ...

... Magnets don't stick to aluminum. So has anyone fooled around with mounting a tasteful designer stainless steel bar either flush or nearly flush to the wall above the head of the bed, upon which to stick anything magnetic (fan, light, whatever)?

Alternately, what do y'all do about reading lights? The ones over the berth are hardly reading lights unless you want the light in your eyes, and magnetic lights won't stick, and who wants to screw into the walls?

(Please don't tell me "it's your trailer, do whatever you want". I already know that. I'm asking about whether anyone has done this.)
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Magnets do not work with stainless steel.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Magnets do not work with stainless steel.
They stick to crappy stainless steel, but not to good stainless steel.

Instead of stainless, use painted carbon steel. Get a sheet of steel the right size, then ask an artistic friend to paint a picture on it. THEN use it to attach magnets. When it's not holding magnets, it's decorative.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
[QUOTE=Belbein;1458017]I don't know if this is the right place for this or not. Maybe "on the road"? I don't know. Anyway ...

Hi Belbein,
Your subject heading caught my attention.....and though you went on to discuss magnets for shades....my mindset couldn't pass by the opportunity the post a new find I'm contemplating.
Although not on my newbie Airstream "need list" ....the ingenious compact, nesting design caught my eye....will attempt to add pic-
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1400645031.350087.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	212396
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
I like your idea. I would love to find a good way to mount a fan above me so that it could blow down onto me.

I don't know the length of the bar that you need for your installation, but here are two ideas that might work for you:

Load stabilizer bars come in all sizes and colors. As long as you have two parallel sides to mount them on they work great. If you need to attach the pole ends to a curved surface you'll probably need to fashion some type of bracket. Here are two ugly examples of what I'm imagining:

Amazon.com: Heininger 4016 HitchMate Cargo Stabilizer Bar for Full-Size Trucks: Automotive

Amazon.com: ProGrip 900902 Twist and Lock Cargo Bar: Automotive

Another option might be to use a spring-loaded extending shower rod cut down to the appropriate length if necessary.

Amazon.com - InterDesign Forma Shower Curtain Tension Rod, Brushed Stainless Steel, 43-Inch by 75-Inch -

If you do rig something up I hope you'll share your recipe and some pics.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You might want to consider this mounted with 3M double sided tape.

12V Mini Swivel Personal Fan | Marinco

& lighting by Ikea:

TIVED LED wall/clamp spotlight - IKEA
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:09 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Try a clip on book light. I have one sold as a map reading light that is about 10" long led strip lights, uses battery….can be used clipped to the top of the book, hung from the built in hook, or set up with the little folding legs. Great little gadget.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I have one of these mounted over each bunk bed in mine. It mounts with screws to the underside of the overhead compartment. WOrks great.
Attached Images

Alcoa Roller is offline   Reply With Quote