Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
A very disappointing day!

Today was the day to pick up our 2009 25' Int. Ocean Breeze AS. We left home at 7:00 AM and drove for almost four hours. Everything was ready to go and we were excited. The PO was very patient in explaining in detail how things work, he prepared a checklist, we took some how-to videos, etc. We exchanged paperwork and money and all was good.

We hooked up the WD hitch and after some adjustment we got that dialed in fairly good.

The only thing remaining to do was adjust the brakes. Here is where the excitement turned to disappointment on several fronts. First of all, even though all the trailer lights worked when plugged into our TV (2013 RAM 1500), it didn't recognize that the trailer was connected as we got the "Trailer Not Connected" message. I'm thinking because it was "not connected" the integrated brake controller on the TV would not actuate the brakes on the AS. Just to make sure it wasn't the trailer we plugged the 7 pin plug into the PO's truck and it worked fine. We cleaned the connecter several times but always the same outcome.

I called Uconnect (Chyrsler's assistance program) and talked to two people who tried but could not help me. They suggested I take it to a dealer. The closest one 20 minutes away in Freehold, NJ. I called them and they could have cared less about my problem. I found the next closest dealer in E. Brunswick, NJ, another 30 minutes away. Great people, really seemed to care, had a service guy wait for me to get there, but upon investigation he could not find the problem which meant they would not be able to do anymore till the end of next week.

So we decided to leave our new (to us) AS sitting where we found it (the PO said no problem), drove home and now have to schedule the RAM for warranty service ASAP. I didn't think to check the brake system before leaving home. Has anyone else ever had a similar problem?

Sorry for the long post but it was a long day, very tired and disappointed and now have to make another 7 to 8 hour round trip to get our AS. The dream is close to reality but still just a dream (or nightmare based on today)!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Stuff happens, don't sweat it. Although I have not had that problem.

What year was the previous owners truck and did he have an an integrated controller or aftermarket? It might still be the Airstream that is the problem. Or a connection.

I've only had the "Not Connected" message once, when I unplugged the Airstream while the engine was running. It flashed, not connected.

It's very odd that all the lights worked but you got that message. I would of at least pulled the truck and AS forward some and applied the trailer brake manually to see if it was engaging.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you may find some info in one of these posts:
2013 ram brake controller - Google Search

just read through some of the posts. only one may apply to you.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
i'd get a test light and confirm that you are getting power to the pin for the brakes on your truck connector. make sure the fuse for the trailer controller is ok.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Heck I would of hooked up and headed on home. Slow and easy. One thing to check if you have not previously towed a trailer your TV is that the brake controller was activated or flashed. When I got my F150 it came with the controller installed but the fuse was not installed and the computer had not been flashed to activate it. Took the dealership tech an hour to figure that out and twenty minutes to flash the computer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
On my 2013 Ram 2500 I had to go into the menu on the Radio/Nav and set up the brake controller. Had you done that previously? I don't remember what the defaults were, so it maybe would have worked if I didn't set it up. I bought the truck used and reset the Nav system which cleared all settings back to the defaults.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I've said on multiple occasions that the only difference between a disaster and an adventure is how you tell the story afterwards. If everything had gone perfectly, it would be boring and you'd only get to tell the story once.

Now, every time you go camping in your Airstream and you're swapping stories around the campfire, you will get to tell people about how you bought your Airstream but couldn't even tow it home. Congratulations on having your first real Airstream adventure! Or at least your first adventure with THIS Airstream…
Old 06-05-2015, 09:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Good advice, Protagonist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I've said on multiple occasions that the only difference between a disaster and an adventure is how you tell the story afterwards.
If you lived to tell the story afterwards, it was an adventure. . .

I always liked the old line,

"Any landing you can walk away from was a good landing.

If you can use the airplane again, it was a great landing!"
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
2023 25' International
Houston , Texas
Ok here's what I'd do. Forget about the previous owner's PU success in recognizing the trailer. The two of them have been married for years and would know each other in the dark. Hook up your PU to the Airstream, attach the umbilical, check the brake lights. If you look at a diagram of the 7 pin connector if the brake lights work power should be going to the trailer brakes. Now, pull forward to 10 or 15 mph and stop using only the trailer brakes, Don't step on the truck brakes, just use the dumaflopchy on the dashboard. The Airstream brakes will either do nothing, lock up and skid, or safely come to a stop. No matter which happens, finish your paperwork, finish up the deal, get the title and to paraphrase AWCHIEF, drive safely home. Any good trailer brake shop can fix this for less than the cost of a new hot water heater.
veratipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Yep, same as AWCHIEF. When I went to pick mine up I too had a non-working brake controller. It was not programmed (later found out). I hitched up and drove home carefully- a 2.5 hour drive oh, and it was about 40 minutes away from home when darkness fell. Guess what else stopped working? Trailer lights. Just think how relieved you will be when you get it!
Old 06-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
[ISorry for the long post but it was a long day, very tired and disappointed and now have to make another 7 to 8 hour round trip to get our AS. The dream is close to reality but still just a dream (or nightmare based on today)!][/I]

Sometimes, you just need to vent.

Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Maggie
Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Quote:
I've said on multiple occasions that the only difference between a disaster and an adventure is how you tell the story afterwards…

I'll be borrowing this quite often. Please and thank you :-)
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:28 AM   #13
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
I've said on multiple occasions that the only difference between a disaster and an adventure is how you tell the story afterwards. If everything had gone perfectly, it would be boring and you'd only get to tell the story once.

Now, every time you go camping in your Airstream and you're swapping stories around the campfire, you will get to tell people about how you bought your Airstream but couldn't even tow it home. Congratulations on having your first real Airstream adventure! Or at least your first adventure with THIS Airstream…
Thanks for the reminder that things are what you make them. And you are correct in that it is an adventure. This adventure will be even more enjoyable when I know how it ends (what the fix is).
Old 06-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #14
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Stuff happens, don't sweat it. Although I have not had that problem.

What year was the previous owners truck and did he have an an integrated controller or aftermarket? It might still be the Airstream that is the problem. Or a connection.

I've only had the "Not Connected" message once, when I unplugged the Airstream while the engine was running. It flashed, not connected.

It's very odd that all the lights worked but you got that message. I would of at least pulled the truck and AS forward some and applied the trailer brake manually to see if it was engaging.
The PO had a 2011 F150 with an integrated controller. And I did try what you suggested. I pulled the trailer slowly, let it drift and manually applied the trailer brake controller. Nothing happened. I also thought it odd that the brakes lights (and other lights) worked on the AS and the still got the "trailer not connected" message.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #15
Site Team

2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Several suggestion were made about towing it without brakes. I debated doing just that. However, I am not experienced at pulling a trailer. The 3.5 hour drive was almost all on the NJ and PA turnpikes where some sections have a 70 MPH speed limit. There are multiple toll booths that require slowing down to 10 MPH to go through. Finally, most of the drive was at rush hour(s).

So ultimately I decided to err on the side of caution. I'd have a real story to tell if would have had an accident because of not having brakes! For me it was the right decision.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I agree you made the right decision.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #17
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
I wouldn't be surprised if a fuse is not installed. Check your manual to find the location of the fuse for the brakes and make sure one is in there
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Several suggestion were made about towing it without brakes. I debated doing just that. However, I am not experienced at pulling a trailer. The 3.5 hour drive was almost all on the NJ and PA turnpikes where some sections have a 70 MPH speed limit. There are multiple toll booths that require slowing down to 10 MPH to go through. Finally, most of the drive was at rush hour(s).

So ultimately I decided to err on the side of caution. I'd have a real story to tell if would have had an accident because of not having brakes! For me it was the right decision.

GOOD decision. Plus it's illegal in PA at any rate. I would also check to see that Dodge put in the necessary fuse. In the Fords that fuse box is under the hood right up front. OR possibly fuse blew somehow,

Best of luck,

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:58 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I agree you made the right decision.
yup!
Old 06-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Keene , New Hampshire
Great response

Quote:

Thank you for this bit of wisdom which applies to much more than just our AS life!
phowe46 is offline   Reply With Quote