Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
A real data plan deal for owners of new Airstreams

read about it here:

https://bgr.com/2018/09/20/att-unlim...-an-airstream/
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:20 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blarney View Post
Perfect for Air-streamers...all your info in the cloud. 😂
DW's smart fone is still in first grade. 🤓

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
A real data plan deal for owners of new Airstreams

AT&T might get more customers if they allowed us to retrofit our older Airstreams. That is a smokin deal....

Here is the Airstream page
https://www.airstream.com/att/

And AT&T’s page
https://www.att.com/plans/connected-car/airstream.html
Old 09-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Wow. I have AT&T on my phone and was planning on getting a Verizon hotspot. I know from past experience that AT&T coverage in rural areas has been poor but looking at their recent coverage maps I’m not sure how much different they are from Verizon.

We will be traveling through South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, BC, and Alaska next year. Anyone have any first-hand experience with AT&T vs Verizon coverage in that area?
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
My AS is still 'new to me'. Hmm....
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
wow amazing...problem solved

cheers for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blarney View Post
bradjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Only for "select trailers" and 2019 model year and newer:

Seems to leave out most of us existing AT&T customers, unless of course we want to fork over $150,000 +/- for a new Airstream.

Yeah, that is a good way to save money in our retirement!

Peter

PS -- No wonder Airstream signed on for this sales promotion gimmick . . .

How much you want to bet that this does not apply to smaller-sized Airstreams?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:38 PM   #8
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
That appears to be a deal.
I am currently with Unlimitedville and Verizon for $250 a month. For that you get truly unlimited, unthrottled Internet, with most speeds 5-17 Mbps.

Someone please sign up for this AT&T deal and report back.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Hmmm, read the fine print this morning. The "Unlimited 360" plan is throttled after 5GB of data...about one streaming movie.
Not the giveaway I was hoping for.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Hmmm, read the fine print this morning. The "Unlimited 360" plan is throttled after 5GB of data...about one streaming movie.
AT&T's first [and most profound IMO] give-away was back in the early 90's, when they announced a nationwide "One Rate" plan for the new kid on the block -- cell phones -- which swept up all the local/regional Baby Bells' roaming charges into one monthly rate.

It seemed unbelievable, if you recall the nightmare which "roaming" could cause to your cell bill back then, especially for folks who traveled a lot for work.

The company I worked for had me look into this new One Rate plan, and we decided to take a chance with it. Everyone in the small company switched to AT&T [or upgraded to the plan], and we waited for the monthly bills to start coming in.

Sure enough, AT&T kept their end of the bargain, and we saved a lot of money and inconvenience each time you went into a new geographic area.

I still have the same cell number, and switched to AT&T personally when that company folded. Not sure, however, if the new plan from AT&T and AS is such a good deal, given the "fine print" -- see Post #7 also.

Peter
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
That is not true. The weekend plan has a cap. The unlimited plan is "unlimited". I currently got in (before last March) to ATT unlimited hotspot. It is not throttled at all unless after 22 GB and towers are full.

Here is the scope: 2AT&T Connected Car Airstream Annual Unlimited Plan (Prepaid). U.S. customers only. Prepaid session-based data plans provide you with access to AT&T wireless data services for your Airstream, including but not limited to features that may be used with wireless data services, content and applications. Eligible vehicle, data plan and compatible SIM card required. Duration: Annual Unlimited Plan is 365 days. May cancel at any time, but pro-rata refund of payment is not available (subject to applicable law). Data plan not transferable if vehicle is sold. Pricing: $360, plus taxes. Devices: Sold separately. Data: For use in the U.S. & Canada only. Service in Canada depends upon availability of unaffiliated carrier coverage. Stream Saver feature not available for this Plan. Hotspot: Connects a limited number of Wi-Fi capable devices per Airstream hotspot, as specified by the vehicle maker. Devices connected to hotspot use data from your Airstream plan. Performance varies based on number of devices connected and other factors. Roaming: You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each svc. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. International and domestic off-net data may be at 2G speeds. Other restr’s apply & may result in svc termination. AT&T svc is subject to AT&T network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details. Stream Saver feature not available for this Plan. General Wireless Service Terms: Subject to AT&T Session Based Wireless Data Services Agreement available at https://www.att.com/legal/terms.sess...ment.list.html Pricing, offer & terms subject to change & may be modified or terminated at any time without notice. Coverage & service not available everywhere.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I'm checking with ATT right now to get more details.

I did read somewhere that there is no 22GB barrier on the AS unlimited plan. We will be getting the service in about a week so I will report back on how well it works. We are also keeping our original hotspot for use in the truck as sometimes we need to monitor the temps in there when the dog stays in the truck. We use a temp stick.

We leave the diesel running (make sure the auto shut off is set each time) in hot weather when we run to the grocery store or such.

Tom & Doty
Old 09-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
. . .
We leave the diesel running (make sure the auto shut off is set each time) in hot weather when we run to the grocery store or such.
Did you see the recent thread about a rig which got stolen in Memphis, because of this practice?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...ss-183556.html

Hopefully an infrequent event, but worth considering as a risk factor IMO.

Also did you see these apparent limits in Post #7?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Only for "select trailers" and 2019 model year and newer:

Seems to leave out most of us existing AT&T customers, unless of course we want to fork over $150,000 +/- for a new Airstream.
. . .
Bob's comment in the next post seems consistent IMO:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
I believe the new plan is a bundle deal with the new "smart" Classic models. . . .
Fine print captures all!

Cheers,

Peter
Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #14
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I've had the AT&T Unlimited plan for well over a year. At least in the eastern part of the country, the coverage is good. The data rates are over 10 Mb/s in most areas with the modem I have. We routinely go over 50 GB a month when we are out and about.

I believe the new plan is a bundle deal with the new "smart" Classic models. It's linked to the pre-installed hotspot in those trailers. That's not terribly different (other than the data plan) than what they do with various cars and trucks.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Did you see the recent thread about a rig which got stolen in Memphis?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f224...ss-183556.html

Hopefully an infrequent event, but worth considering as a risk factor IMO.

Peter
My truck has the feature that prohibits driving if the keys are not in the truck.

Tom & Doty
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Excellent, good to know!
Old 09-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I am, admittedly, a wannabe phone geek. For those who do not follow such things, the whole landscape of mobile data is about to change significantly. 5G technology is on the immediate horizon.

Both Verizon and AT&T are about to introduce 5G in selected markets in a few days (October 1). Everyone needs to be aware of this upcoming change before investing in any hardware that may become old technology within a year. We were thinking about upgrading our android smartphones, but have decided to wait until we can get a 5G compatible device.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:06 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , NC
We just finished a six month AS trip out west. My wife and I both have ATT. Coverage was pretty spotty throughout. At Pinnacles, Grand Canyon, Sequoia and a few others, there was perfectly good Verizon coverage, no ATT at all. We wound up buying a Verizon hotspot and are considering switching. On the other hand, we went up the East Coast to Acadia and Fundy and had great ATT coverage.

Whether this plan is a good deal will depend on where you are going.
JoeHTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just got off the phone with ATT and they at first knew nothing about the new plan. After pressing them a bit, they tried to send me to a department that sets this up. It is closed on the weekends!

Guess I'll call Monday.

Tom & Doty
Old 09-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #20
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I am, admittedly, a wannabe phone geek. For those who do not follow such things, the whole landscape of mobile data is about to change significantly. 5G technology is on the immediate horizon.

Both Verizon and AT&T are about to introduce 5G in selected markets in a few days (October 1). Everyone needs to be aware of this upcoming change before investing in any hardware that may become old technology within a year. We were thinking about upgrading our android smartphones, but have decided to wait until we can get a 5G compatible device.

Brian
Hi

The rollout of any of these new generations of gear runs out over a *long* time. Most people recycle cell phones (and even modems) fairly quickly. I doubt we will see real 5G service at the typical rural campsite for quite a while. Even then, it's all backwards compatible. If the "old stuff" does the job now, it will do the job then.

So - no need to panic. Certainly if you are out shopping for a modem next year, look for the feature.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote