Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #121
dst
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
The Woodlands , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Good to know, thanks. I just picked up a Mobley with “unlimited” AT&T service, will play with that instead of pining for this upgrade.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...mail-campaign/
I've had the Mobley for over a year. Normally connects my Sync 3 and phones in my F250. When parked I connect it to the Pepwave Soho Router and get past the 5 device limit, plus have a wired port for the DVD player. Their 1.03 firmware update removed the "no timeout" option, so not as convenient. And they generate a random pin now, but the RV Mobile Internet folks have a write up on how you can request unlock codes. I bought a Netgear Unite Explore hotspot on ebay for $100 and I just move the Mobley sim over to it when parked. After I get the sim unlocked I've gotten as much as 80 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up while it is all sitting in the cabinet of our FC 23FB. Still thinking about cell booster in trailer to improve signal of that and our Verizon phones. I think my monthly bill is $23 and change; looks like I've used about 25 GB of data so far this cycle.
dst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:55 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Airstream connect solution

Here is a link to a PDF of a document I created from the many posts about the Airstream connect issues and a solution for it. I hope this helps those experiencing problems with the Peplink modem and for those considering the new upgrade from Airstream.

The upgrade is fine, just needs this tweak to work efficiently.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Airstream connect solution v1.pdf (527.0 KB, 91 views)

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #123
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst View Post
I've had the Mobley for over a year. Normally connects my Sync 3 and phones in my F250. When parked I connect it to the Pepwave Soho Router and get past the 5 device limit, plus have a wired port for the DVD player. Their 1.03 firmware update removed the "no timeout" option, so not as convenient. And they generate a random pin now, but the RV Mobile Internet folks have a write up on how you can request unlock codes. I bought a Netgear Unite Explore hotspot on ebay for $100 and I just move the Mobley sim over to it when parked. After I get the sim unlocked I've gotten as much as 80 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up while it is all sitting in the cabinet of our FC 23FB. Still thinking about cell booster in trailer to improve signal of that and our Verizon phones. I think my monthly bill is $23 and change; looks like I've used about 25 GB of data so far this cycle.
Sounds great! We, got our Mobley today and activated it. AT&T gave us the codes needed to unlock the SIM so we can put it into another hotspot if we want to. (We already own an LTE router, so we're hopeful we can put the SIM in there. Failing that, we'll pick up a similar hotspot, as nearly anything will be faster than the Mobley.)

Meanwhile, with this approach I'm pretty sure we won't be "Jonesing" for the Airstream solution anytime soon.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Here is a link to a PDF of a document I created from the many posts about the Airstream connect issues and a solution for it.
. . .
Thanks.

For everyone’s information there is a new parallel thread which seems to be gaining a head of steam, with folks not migrating over here.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ed-191803.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
A real data plan deal for owners of new Airstreams

I still have no update on an ETA on ”Airstream Connected” from Airstream of Scottsdale, but LazyDays in Tucson says they can get the kit, part number 513675, in 6 weeks. 6 weeks?

Amazon Prime has me spoiled I guess?

I think we may just pull the trigger, as we are planning a trip in the May timeframe ( AZ to MO to OH for Alumapaluza to NC and back home) and I require Internet for work.

I know there may be “better” solutions out there but I would be buying this kit to get access to the AT&T plan that comes with it. Well, and because I don’t have the guts yet to “cut” on the AS...

Has anyone else been able to get Airstream Connected installed on their AS yet? I think splorin did from the other thread, anyone else?
Old 03-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #126
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
I still have no update on an ETA on ”Airstream Connected” from Airstream of Scottsdale, but LazyDays in Tucson says they can get the kit, part number 513675, in 6 weeks. 6 weeks?

Amazon Prime has me spoiled I guess?

I think we may just pull the trigger, as we are planning a trip in the May timeframe ( AZ to MO to OH for Alumapaluza to NC and back home) and I require Internet for work.

I know there may be “better” solutions out there but I would be buying this kit to get access to the AT&T plan that comes with it. Well, and because I don’t have the guts yet to “cut” on the AS...

Has anyone else been able to get Airstream Connected installed on their AS yet? I think splorin did from the other thread, anyone else?
Hi

Six weeks =

1) We only put in orders every two weeks. Getting on the web is tough so we phone first and then mail in the order.

2) Order processing takes about a week or two (on a paper order that is mailed in ...).

3) Shipping takes about a week or two via the cheapest method imaginable (we like to save money).

4) Getting it from the mail room to the stock room takes several days

5) Getting it into the inventory book only happens on Thursdays

6) On Tuesday we start letting people know stuff came in.

I would *love* to tell you that this is all made up. Very unfortunately about 80% is straight from the mouth of people at various dealerships. The other 20% is guesses based on what was said.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:23 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Six weeks =

1) We only put in orders every two weeks. Getting on the web is tough so we phone first and then mail in the order.

2) Order processing takes about a week or two (on a paper order that is mailed in ...).

3) Shipping takes about a week or two via the cheapest method imaginable (we like to save money).

4) Getting it from the mail room to the stock room takes several days

5) Getting it into the inventory book only happens on Thursdays

6) On Tuesday we start letting people know stuff came in.

I would *love* to tell you that this is all made up. Very unfortunately about 80% is straight from the mouth of people at various dealerships. The other 20% is guesses based on what was said.

Bob

I bet those are spot on! I needed that! [emoji23]

The person helping me did order right from his register / computer. He said “Monday Airstream should expedite this because I asked for it before the end of March.” [emoji848]

I felt so 80’s.

Maybe Airstream has a nostalgic thing going on?

I actually hope the delay is to take care of some of the issues with the system ~ THAT would be worth the delay!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:54 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just a reminder that there is a newer thread with more current info, including possible AS router issues:

Peter

FYI/FWIW
Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 AM   #129
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Sounds great! We, got our Mobley today and activated it. AT&T gave us the codes needed to unlock the SIM so we can put it into another hotspot if we want to. (We already own an LTE router, so we're hopeful we can put the SIM in there. Failing that, we'll pick up a similar hotspot, as nearly anything will be faster than the Mobley.)

Meanwhile, with this approach I'm pretty sure we won't be "Jonesing" for the Airstream solution anytime soon.

So benefit if Mobley is:

1. Can activate vehicle plan with 22GB data and network-congestion-based throttling after that

2. Can unlock SIM and move to a separate hotspot device

So basically working around the traditional hard throttling caps of hotspot plans because the SIM was originally provisioned as a connected car device.

Did I get that right? Sounds appealing. I turned off my built-in GMC connected car line because it was a PITA to keep the car ACC on to provide hotspot to my trailer (my pepwave SOHO)
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #130
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
A real data plan deal for owners of new Airstreams

OK, after coming close to pulling the trigger on the new airstream prepaid AT&T plan ($999 for hardware, $500+ for install, $360/yr for the plan), with Airstream-locked Pepwave BR1 cellular modem and 2x2 Mimo roof antenna, I ended up going with the new Verizon Prepaid Unlimited plan, provisioned against a new, state of the art category 18 cellular Inseego 8800L Mifi with 4x4 internal Mimo antennas and connectivity for a 2x2 Mimo exterior antenna.

The performance is impressive.

Plan details here:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...-for-jetpacks/

https://youtu.be/-cpDI05aRUc

and hardware details here:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ver...he-mifi-8800l/

https://youtu.be/HVrVgXUnDAM

I couldn't be happier. This plan is $65 / month with unlimited data and no throttling. You always have the risk of being temporarily network managed (temporarily de-prioritized / slowed during network congestion), but thus far in my testing I have seen no slow down in speed whatsoever, even here today at 7pm on a Monday night.

I am able to see great download speeds of 25Mbps+ without any external antenna with a mediocre signal of -105dBm (RSRP).

Here is an example of streaming movies on 5 screens simultaneously attached to the jetpack, with 15Mbps d/l speed to spare. In the past 90 minutes I've push over 5Gigs of data through the jetpack, no problem.

The modem technology in this little unit is 2 generations ahead of the current pepwave BR1 category 6 modem that airstream is deploying and the throughput shows. The equivalent generation hardware from pep wave is $3,500 for a category 18 modem, and the exterior antenna adds another $1,500.

In comparison I paid $199 for the mini inseego category 18 MiFi unit.

I have a 2x2 portable netgear directional mimo antenna on order which I can place in the appropriate window of the airstream to improve signal strength.

In times where the signal is absolutely pitiful, I will backup to my weboost / sure call system.

More to come, the hardware and network advancements that are out in the wild are great these days, and now there is finally a data plan to match from VZ. get it while you can.

This is one of the best plans and hardware combo on the market for the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	335433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	330.1 KB
ID:	335434  

Name:	IMG_0604.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	335435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0603.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	319.8 KB
ID:	335436  

Name:	MIMO Antenna (6000450).png
Views:	96
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	335437  
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Awesome. This was the plan and device I was planning on getting to supplement my AT&T service for our trip out west. Did you go to a Verizon store or order online? I find navigating their online offerings frustrating (and so are AT&T’s).
Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #132
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I just walked into the store after calling to ensure they had an 8800 in stock. I was out with a functioning hotspot within 10 minutes, which is a new record for visiting a Verizon store.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
I was out with a functioning hotspot within 10 minutes, which is a new record for visiting a Verizon store.

No doubt. I was helping my (elderly) parents out by troubleshooting their home network and the problem turned out to be a faulty Comcast modem. So off to the Comcast store I went.

No joke: 8 employees, 2 customers. Took me an hour to get out of there.

Hoping for the same luck you got at Verizon...
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post

We have an install date for Airstream Connected - March 21. LazyDays was able to work with AS to get the parts here in time. We shall see.

Wulfraat sounds like you have also found a nice setup! I hope the AT&T plan has similar performance. I look forward to comparing.

Also we stayed at LazyDays KOA resort this weekend and was surprised at how well their campground WiFi worked. It worked as expected! I have a pepwave router and mimo antenna just perched inside the media cabinet, not even properly mounted. Had to authenticate each day with their system but streamed directv now when we needed too with no issues. All devices on our AS network had zero issues. So they are one campground with decent WiFi.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:45 AM   #135
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We had our Airstream Connect installed on Tuesday. Easy setup with ATT and it is working great with my Pepwave SOHO MK3. I wanted to share a couple installation notes since this is new to the dealers also:

1) The antenna does not come physically configured correctly for the Airstream install. The antenna is configured for the wires to come out of the bottom of the antenna whereas the Airstream install requires the wires to exit the side of the antenna. The instructions that come with the antenna in the box cover the conversion.

2) A cover plate required for the installation is not provided in the box (at least in the box for my installation at the dealer). This may have been an oversight on my particular connect hardware box. My dealer had the cover plate part in stock so no big deal and it may be a generally stocked item.

Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3811.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	335656  
Bgkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Thank you for the updates. Please keep them coming. I really like the videos.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgkirk View Post
Hope it helps.

Thanks! I will show this to our dealer when they install next week. I have the same pepwave you do as well, we will have the same setup!
Old 03-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #138
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
So much for install this week.... After trying for about 4 days to actually talk to someone is service department, I gave up and called the parts department at LazyDays in Tucson.

Airstream Connected has STILL not come it -it’s been “very popular” and now they won’t have the part until middle of April.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:47 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the updates.

For those who might have missed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Just a reminder that there is a newer thread with more current info, including possible AS router issues:

Peter

FYI/FWIW
Old 05-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #140
Grace the Airstream

2020 27' Globetrotter
Powhatan , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Here is a link to a PDF of a document I created from the many posts about the Airstream connect issues and a solution for it. I hope this helps those experiencing problems with the Peplink modem and for those considering the new upgrade from Airstream.

The upgrade is fine, just needs this tweak to work efficiently.
First of all turk123 thank you so much for taking the time to thoroughly document your issues with the Airstream Connected.

Like many of you I was very interested in a system that could be dealer installed and support the Airstream. I have a 2020 GT 27FB and was considering getting the AS Connected installed but having done the research and seeing what everyone is going through, like many preinstalled systems they take great components and screw them up.

After doing even more research on the various systems I decided to piece mine together and install it myself. A few things I learned in my research:

- First, AS cheaped out on the Pepwave router. The mini is known to have problems and doesn’t have the scalability as it is a single modem with two sim slots instead of a dual modem that can support load balancing and bonding. I ended up going with the newer Pepwave transit duo which is a cat12 dual modem so I could support load balancing or bonding of the signals over two carriers working simultaneously.

- Airstream should have gone with the Pepwave Max BR1 MK2 at a minimum instead of the mini given the issues with the mini supporting multiple networks

- That said from other research I have done the mini can be fixed if configured correctly. Turk123 figured out the key issue with the WiFi and worked around it. From what I have read about the Pepwave systems when supporting load balancing over WiFi, the system uses the same antenna for broadcasting as it does for pulling the existing wifi from the campground. This causes the wifi broadcasting to your devices connected to the network to literally crawl. People have gotten around this by using one of the networks to pull and the other to broadcast (say use the 2.4Ghz network to connect to campground wifi and use the 5Ghz network to broadcast for your network

- The other option there is to potentially use an external wifi anteanna to connect to the wifi network of the campground like the MikroTik Grove and plug it into your WAN port therefore dedicating the entirety of the Pepwave wifi to your broadcasting network (not sure if this would screw with any of the CZone stuff in the Classic or not) https://seabits.com/mikrotik-groove-...p-setup-guide/

- The Poynting antenna they use is one of the best. I believe they use the 5-in-1 but I ordered the 7-in-1 for my system since I have the dual modems

- I can’t remember who said it on this thread but also having a weboost in addition to the airstream connected or any other system is a good idea especially for boon docking or more remote camping as it will help broadcast and amplify the signal for the Pepwave when you aren’t getting very good coverage

I hope some of this information helps as people look to use the connected or build out their own systems.

I ordered my system from MobileMustHave.com and a special shout out to the folks over at the Mobile Internet Resource Center Cherie & Chris and all of their contributors and forum members. If you are considering doing any of this yourself you should subscribe to their site.

Peter

Grace - 2020 Airstream Globetrotter 27FB
pdavey is offline   Reply With Quote