Old 01-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #85
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I thought I would jump in here. I've done extensive testing with the Airstream hotspot with an Airstream employee Jason and a few people at JC. You can follow my thread here:

http://http://www.airforums.com/foru...187275-13.html

The current system as of today is very flawed.
. . .
Thanks for the update.

FYI the link above does not work for me. The following link, for your dedicated thread, may be a better place for everyone else to start, rather than your long checklist thread IMO?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...es-190596.html

Checklist thread FYI: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f540...st-187275.html

Thanks again for the updates on the AS/ATT plan.

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- Everyone interested in this "magic bullet" ATT/AS plan should take the time to read turk123's Post #82 in all of its excruciating detail.

A sad state of affairs . . .

Old 01-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #87
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Oops! Sorry for the bad link. I thought it worked when I posted it. Hmmmm

The new news today is that the ATT website where you sign up for the two Airstream data plans has changed and no longer works. There are quite a few new Classic owners who can not sign up for the plans.

It appears that ATT changed the website and linked to the wrong signup page. Airstream knows about it, but ATT has to do the fixing. The plan remains intact, you just can't sign up for it!

***Support Airstream Forum***
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:21 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Coeur d Alene , Idaho
Turk123 - Thank you for the informative post. It was very timely as I had contacted my dealer to make an appointment to have this system installed in my FC and was waiting for his reply. Your post has saved me from making a big mistake.

I not only have no interest in spending money on a flawed system but even if it did work I don't like the idea that AS has locked the router down and won't share the password. If I pay for a router I want to be able to have some control over it. I imagine they are trying to avoid having newbies mess up the settings and then expecting them to fix it. I understand that concern but just hate the idea of being forever reliant on someone else to deal with my equipment.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
. . .
I not only have no interest in spending money on a flawed system but even if it did work I don't like the idea that AS has locked the router down and won't share the password. If I pay for a router I want to be able to have some control over it. I imagine they are trying to avoid having newbies mess up the settings and then expecting them to fix it. I understand that concern but just hate the idea of being forever reliant on someone else to deal with my equipment.
^^^ x2

Thanks for this detail. Talk about a total boondoggle!

Just like the Basecamp axle which required a fleet-wide recall, and the BC fridge which does not work right in hot weather and direct sun.

Does Airstream test anything before they release it, or are we just unpaid Beta-testers for new products?

Old 01-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chicago area , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Does Airstream test anything before they release it, or are we just unpaid Beta-testers for new products?
Candidly, I think this is true for pretty much everything at this point. It's perceived as better corporate practice to get something that's 90% done out there than it is to hold it up in QA for the remaining 10%.

I'm not saying I agree with this approach, just that it is VERY common. The situations in which Turk reports this Airstream/ATT system fails are 100% daily use cases for the majority of people (wireless access, more than one device). Hard to see how a situation that commonplace and which fails repeatably passed the most rudimentary test cases. So IMO this is not a case of "remaining 10%"

I'm still much more keen on the plan than on the hardware. The base modem being locked down doesn't bother me too much; all of these systems will have some locked hardware, whether it's the base modem or the mobile hotspot. I'm fine with (and would prefer) a secondary router (thanks again, Turk, for all the legwork you've put into this) but I have a month or so before I have to pull the trigger one way or another (i.e. AS/ATT vs. SureCall/hotspot).
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 AM   #91
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Coeur d Alene , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post

......I'm still much more keen on the plan than on the hardware.......
I find the AT&T plan quite attractive and would jump on it if the hardware was working. Or if there was a way to get the plan with different hardware.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:12 PM   #92
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
I find the AT&T plan quite attractive and would jump on it if the hardware was working. Or if there was a way to get the plan with different hardware.
The issue is easily fixed with adding the second router. It is true that the hardware that is offered now is flawed, but the second router solution works so well that it is still worth the price of admission. ATT is not going to sell you the unlimited plan without the hardware. As I said before, my $19 router works perfectly. Today I have 71 Mb down and 41 Mb up. Can't get better than that and with little work for the install of the second router.

Airstream may get around to fixing the Peplink problem, but I fear it will still have the "half" bandwidth problem just by the way it works. Airstream told me that 18 Mb down is their target and their average. They said it was "good enough". I say what happens when you get to an area that the cell signal is not very strong? Do they want you to accept 1.5 down instead of 3 down?

The second router solution is the way to go even if they get the pepllink WiFi radio to work.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #93
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The issue is easily fixed with adding the second router. It is true that the hardware that is offered now is flawed, but the second router solution works so well that it is still worth the price of admission. ATT is not going to sell you the unlimited plan without the hardware. As I said before, my $19 router works perfectly. Today I have 71 Mb down and 41 Mb up. Can't get better than that and with little work for the install of the second router.

Airstream may get around to fixing the Peplink problem, but I fear it will still have the "half" bandwidth problem just by the way it works. Airstream told me that 18 Mb down is their target and their average. They said it was "good enough". I say what happens when you get to an area that the cell signal is not very strong? Do they want you to accept 1.5 down instead of 3 down?

The second router solution is the way to go even if they get the pepllink WiFi radio to work.
Hi

The "half bandwidth" thing should only apply at the maximum rate. When you hit a marginal location and 3 is all you can get, you would still get the 3. The bottleneck is at your trailer rather than at the tower or going to/from the tower.

That said, indeed 15 to 20 is pretty poor by today's standards. My AT&T Unlimited plan hotspot modems all do much better than that. (Same company, different unlimited plan).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Oro Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Airstream may get around to fixing the Peplink problem.... The second router solution is the way to go even if they get the pepllink WiFi radio to work.

Turk123, I tried to get to the original thread to see which specific peplink router the AS Connect system comes with. Can you share the modem specifics here please?

I do not have the AS Connect system (yet) but I had previously installed my own Peplink modem to create a private network in our AS and it does not have issues when using wifi over wan.

Here is the unit I have:
Peplink SUS-SOHO-T Pepwave Surf Soho MK3 Router https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ENUY568..._IR1nCbA55R0R4

So I am thinking I would use this as my “second router” unless it is the same router the AS Connect system comes with and it’s a weird combination of things that cause the issue with the AS Connect system?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:56 AM   #95
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Here is the link to peplink that shows the router used. It is a Peplinkmax BR1 mini

https://www.peplink.com/products/max...-cellular/#br1

Make sure you click on the third modem after getting to the site.

Looks like a firmware version has been completed on Dec 13th, but not released yet. Checking to see if any of our issues have been addressed.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #96
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have it on good authority that nothing has changed with the Peplink issues. They still exist. A new update will be released soon, but it does not look like it addresses some of the issues we have.

I will continue to say that the inexpensive second modem is still performing spectacularly and is still a good solution even though the Airstream system is flawed.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #97
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

The "half bandwidth" thing should only apply at the maximum rate. When you hit a marginal location and 3 is all you can get, you would still get the 3. The bottleneck is at your trailer rather than at the tower or going to/from the tower.

That said, indeed 15 to 20 is pretty poor by today's standards. My AT&T Unlimited plan hotspot modems all do much better than that. (Same company, different unlimited plan).

Bob
Sorry, Bob but not true in this circumstance. The Peplink modem does not follow what you say. It is not a problem with the high-end speed of the modem, but the overall speed at any bandwidth that is perplexing. It is just plain half the speed all the time.

I know because I've tested it over many many locations at many different speeds. It is half the speed as something connected to the open ethernet port. Even the Peplink engineer was puzzled by its performance. He did not have an answer for this.

I did read a spec on the modem that said with encrypted data it's top speed was 40 Mb. Unencrypted was 80 Mb. This may be the issue. Without having access to the router, we cannot tell what Airstream has this set for. I don't believe Jason said any data was being encrypted though.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:44 AM   #98
AirDreamer

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Yesterday my Airstream salesman called me about his new Classic 30 and WiFi issues he is having. He finally was able to get an account with ATT and when trying to get a good wifi connection he reported horrible speeds of under 1 MB down even though he has three bars on his cell phone for his area. Of course, he still has his "campground wifi" feature turned ON in the peplink modem and we already know this slows your speeds tremendously.

The "campgroud feature" when using the campground WiFi was also very very slow especially when his cell phone using the campground WiFi had speeds much faster. Using his cell phone by itself (no Peplink) with ATT in the trailer yielded speeds of 18 Mb down.

This is exactly the issues I have experienced over the last three months with only using the Peplink modem.

I told him to have Jason turn OFF the "campground feature" in his Peplink. My salesman has another wireless router and I told him to wire it directly to the Peplink and your problems will be solved.

We will see what are the results maybe today, but I know this works perfectly.