Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
A few questions - subwoofer, speakers and systems monitor

Hi--
We're on our third trip on our new Airstream, and we're still learning! But we do have some questions, and we're hoping someone can help.

1) According to the list of standard features on our Airstream (28' Flying Cloud), it comes equipped with "2 pr 6.5” 2-Way Spkrs Active Sub-woofer – 100 Watt". Does this mean there is a sub-woofer somewhere on this trailer? And if so, where?

2) When the TV sound is coming through the speakers, can the front and rear speakers be controlled separately? It would be nice if someone wants to take a nap in the bedroom to be able to turn off the speakers in the bedroom without turning off the front speakers. Is this possible? And if so, how?

3) Our fresh water tank has a status of red blinking light on the systems monitor, which I understand to mean it's completely empty. But...it's not empty. We are not connected to water right now, we're using what's in the tank. And there is water in the tank. So we're confused on why the monitor is blinking red. The dealer recently re-calibrated the monitor, and according to them - our tank is empty.

Thanks in advance for your help. It is very much appreciated!!
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I will soon be getting a new '14 FC 20, and expect to have the same questions about the sub woofer. In the 20' I think it is under the front bed!

On monitors for your tanks: There have been recent posts on the subject, the gist of which is the monitors don't work very well and need constant re calibration. Quite frankly, in 34 years of Airstream ownership, I have never had tank monitors which worked worth a damn, and I don't expect my new one will be any better. One reason I have always appreciated my Argosy is there was never a tank monitoring system to begin with, so there was nothing to stew about....grin.

Just enjoy your new rig, camping is the fun part, systems are optional (nice to have, but you can live without them). Sometimes the manufactures get too cutesy with their equipment, including Airstream
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
Welcome,

I have a International 28. I assume it's configured somewhat similarly.

1. The subwoofer should be located under the L sofa, just forward of the converter. If you take off the cushion you should be able to see it under the access panel or through the cutout to reach the water heater bypass.

2. If you have the Sony Audio unit you can adjust front rear balance which will turn off one set of speakers.

3. The red lights will flash when the water level gets low, before it's completely empty. If there's more than a little you probably need to recalibrate again.

Hope this helps.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
In the 06 FB safari the sub is under the dinette seating by the door. It is separately powered and may get a hum in it due to how Airstream grounds it. Radio Shack has a ground eliminator you can buy to solve this problem. My trailer has a switch in the overhead bin next to the Sony head unit that selects front and back speakers.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Thank you all for your help.

We found the sub-woofer (thank you Dave!). It's just where you said it would be, under the L-sofa.

We filled the fresh water tank, and the light is now green. I guess "empty" doesn't really mean empty. I think it may need to be recalibrated. But for now, I'm just glad to be rid of the blinking red light. Thank you!

As for the speakers...can't seem to figure that one that. We have fiddled with the balance on the media player and the most we seem to be able to do is turn off one of the back speakers (or the other), but never both at the same time. But for now, it's not a big deal. Like I said, we're just learning and I'm okay with learning 2 out of 3 of my questions.

We're in the Mount Vernon area this weekend (near Seattle). A bridge on I-5 broke yesterday, and they are rerouting traffic through Mount Vernon side streets. Traffic is a nightmare around here. We should have just stayed home.

Thanks again everyone - hope you're enjoying the Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
I believe you can adjust front speaker loudness vs rear via the Fader control. Balance is left to right, fader is front to back. Using fader, we can shut off the bedroom speakers and keep the front ones going.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post

As for the speakers...can't seem to figure that one that. We have fiddled with the balance on the media player and the most we seem to be able to do is turn off one of the back speakers (or the other), but never both at the same time. But for now, it's not a big deal. Like I said, we're just learning and I'm okay with learning 2 out of 3 of my questions.
While I'm new to both this forum and Airstreams, I am a pretty seasoned Audio guy (Moderator on a Martin Logan forum and heavy into High End Audio). Your Balance control will only effect the left to right balance on any audio system. I suspect that what you need to do is find the Fader control. That will control the signal from front to back, just like in a car audio system, thus allowing you to trim the level on the set of speakers in the bedroom. Let me know if that solves the issue.

Edit: Steverino beat me to the punch, but we both have the same advice.
MiTTco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Thank you all for your help.

we have a new 2013 27 Classic. With the new sound system, you cannot fade the speakers from front to back. I know how the system works, and our 2006 Safari could shut off the rear speakers completely.

I am going to install switches in the bedroom, next to each speaker to turn off the speakers.

Good luck with your new AS!

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk View Post
we have a new 2013 27 Classic. With the new sound system, you cannot fade the speakers from front to back. I know how the system works, and our 2006 Safari could shut off the rear speakers completely.

I am going to install switches in the bedroom, next to each speaker to turn off the speakers.

Good luck with your new AS!
We have a new (April build) 2013 Flying Cloud 25FB. The Sony radio provides a fader control deep in the menus. This does work to shut off sound in the bedroom. But putting in switches as you suggest is certainly more convenient--the Sony controls are a pain in the rear.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Just to clarify - our Flying Cloud is equipped with the Sony Media Player Model DSX-S310BTX. Anyway, we finally got it to work! Thank you MiTTco and steverino for telling me about fade. Yes, it works. The bedroom speakers are off, front speakers are on.

On the Media Player, press the Multi-way encoder, rotate until fader is displayed, then press the Multi-way encoder button again - up and down (not left or right). It's definitely not intuitive; I never would have figured it out!

Thank you all for your help! So glad I got all my "today" questions answered. Tomorrow is another day though.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Just to clarify - our Flying Cloud is equipped with the Sony Media Player Model DSX-S310BTX. Anyway, we finally got it to work! Thank you MiTTco and steverino for telling me about fade. Yes, it works. The bedroom speakers are off, front speakers are on.

On the Media Player, press the Multi-way encoder, rotate until fader is displayed, then press the Multi-way encoder button again - up and down (not left or right). It's definitely not intuitive; I never would have figured it out!

Thank you all for your help! So glad I got all my "today" questions answered. Tomorrow is another day though.
I have found the fader, and have faded the speakers all of the way to the front, but the speakers do not shut off completely. The left and right balance will completely shut off either the left or right speaker channel (front or rear).

I wonder if the head unit is wired incorrectly?

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkowalyk

(snip)
I wonder if the head unit is wired incorrectly?
I think in a car stereo, it's likely the fade is just that - fade to move most, but perhaps not all sound front to back. In a car, it's not likely those rear speakers are hanging over your bed when you're trying to sleep :-)

The Sony unit is so complicated, I can't imagine actually using it in a car while driving! Talk about distracted driving!! You have to go several menus deep to do anything with this unit. I'm tempted to swap out for a real home amplifier but that would probably be overkill.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote