Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
This is why some folks like to lease cars or buy a new one every 3 years trading in the old.
Yes, I do not mean to be stating the obvious- choice. I am thinking more about cost as the 80 grand topic refers, to mods and changing up. As a used buyer I was motivated by price and like you, putting money into mods. I could have purchased the new FC I looked at but with financing.Perhaps for others there is not a particular "reason" to change often but I was wondering regarding quality and longevity how many have purchased new ones to keep them for many years and yet not necessarily vintage models perhaps 80's, 90's or 00's models. We are attesting to Airstream quality beyond that of other manufacturers and to some extent, I agree but there are also so very well built aluminum trailers. Oddly, there is quite a bit of new ideas in horse trailer construction that may be applied to an Airstream to beef up quality. When I was at the Canopener this year I noticed that the boardwalk to the beach was made of Rumber and thought how Airstream might try using that for flooring instead of wood. I guess what I mean is to hear the stories of long time ownership of the more modern Airstreams and how those owners perceive cost. I found it interesting that Matthew McConaughey went vintage after owning late model. Just sayin.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Interesting discussion here. This whole discussion fits us, since we currently have a 40' Foretravel MH and are talking about switching to a 34' Airstream TT.

As was stated above, the convenience of being able to pull over nearly anywhere for a snack, break, meal, is great. Added to that is the fact that many motor homes have generators, so the microwave and coffee pot are always available. Foretravel, Newell, and some other high-end coaches don't use leveling jacks. The airbags are used for leveling, so there are no holes punched in the ground and no blocks of wood needed.

One advantage to our MH is that the driver's seat is up from the main floor, so that I look semi drivers right in the eye. Sadly, that isn't the case with newer coaches, or, for that matter, most other brands.

So why would we consider switching to an Airstream? Part of it is the way we are actually using the coach. When we bought the Foretravel two years ago we fully expected that we would be moving an average of every two weeks. Since then, though, I've joined Laborers For Christ, and projects generally last several months.

Part of the reason for a switch does involve costs. Oil changes are several hundred dollars, yes, but are generally only done once a year. Same for transmission fluid changes. With all but the smallest diesel pushers, you are running the same engine and transmission as over-the-road trucks. That means that you generally need to go to one of those shops for engine/transmission service. The shop rate for those places is fairly high, and there might not be one available in the next town. You truly need to have CoachNet or a similar service.

Last December we had what we hope was a very unusual month. We were scheduled to leave Urbana, MO for Stillwater, OK on the 3rd. We got only a couple of miles when the air compressor failed. No air pressure means locked brakes. It took about a week for the right parts to arrive and be installed. We finally headed out a week late, and got almost two hours down the road when one of the hydraulic fans for the radiator locked up and nearly destroyed the pump. We were towed to Big Cabin, OK, where we sat for three weeks waiting on parts. Total cost for that month was about $9000.

When I think about the convenience of our coach I wonder why anyone would choose anything else. When I look at it with a more practical eye, though, I realize that this may not be the right coach for us. No decision will be reached for a few weeks yet, as we have a daughter's wedding to take care of first. After that maybe things will calm down a bit and we can discuss what we want to do.

Airstream or Foretravel? Hmmm, BMW or Mercedes?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:56 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Great post kb0zke. Like the jest at the end.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:26 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I can see the BMW/Mercedes comparison as apples to apples, but Airstream/Foretravel?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:11 AM   #85
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
The most important trailer advantage

"When we bought the Foretravel two years ago we fully expected that we would be moving an average of every two weeks. Since then, though, I've joined Laborers For Christ, and projects generally last several months."

David, you hit on the most important advantage that trailers provide the RVer. If you are in the same location for weeks or months, with a trailer you don't have that huge investment in diesel engine and transmission sitting idle. And sitting idle is not good for the power train nor the genset.

If your method of RVing involves being in one place for quite a while, a trailer may be best. You can use the TV to run errands and make day trips, so that keeps it's engine active. The trailer doesn't mind being stationary.

I kept a trailer on a site at a north Alabama lake for 20 months before moving it to the Florida panhandle for the winter of '14 to '15. It didn't seem to suffer at all ! Hooked up and towed perfectly. Now it is back at that same lake until I take it to Florida in October where it will move very little until April.

Why would I want to let a diesel engine costing maybe $100,000+ sit idle for months that way ?

Unless you previously owned a trailer, you will have a learning curve to climb as you switch to a towable. Your TV will also be used more day to day as a driver than a TV, so that is something to think about. If you have a 2nd vehicle, a car perhaps, remember not to let that TV sit idle all the time !

Lets Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:50 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As a result of our "mods", our 600 amp hour battery feeds a Magnum MS-2812 inverter that will power the microwave and or the air conditioner at a rest stop while taking a lunch break or other necessary activity. The 800 watt solar system will recharge the battery during the next few hours going down the road. We see 575 watts when the sun is out.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 12:07 PM   #87
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Switz, 70% was the expectation? (800 vs 575).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:50 PM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Yes 75% or 600 watts of the claimed 800 watts would be a real world output number, not the marketing claim.

Thus the Airstream factory solar system with two 53 watt solar panels or 106 watts in total would create in the real world maybe 74 to 75 watts under optimum conditions.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #89
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Yes 75% or 600 watts of the claimed 800 watts would be a real world output number, not the marketing claim.

Thus the Airstream factory solar system with two 53 watt solar panels or 106 watts in total would create in the real world maybe 74 to 75 watts under optimum conditions.
This is why I think I want to add a 4th panel.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:54 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
We began our RV experience with a heavy 5er almost 20 years ago. Over the following years we traded in and bought two more heavies using 5 different diesel duallys to tow. We decided a couple of years ago the cost of replacing our diesel had simply outstripped our willingness to pay so we sold the truck and the trailer.

We soon discovered we still wanted to enjoy camping with a much smaller RV so we imported a 17' "Casita" and towed it with a caravan. On a month long trip last summer we quickly learned the Casita has most everything an RV'er could ever want except a 'walk around bed'.

The day we returned home we visited our local RV dealer who has always had Airstreams both new and used for sale. He took our Casita on trade for a lightly used 23 Safari SE. We bought a new GMC to tow it as the Safari was a bit of a challenge for the Dodge. We have used and loved this AS23 for the past year or so however, we did quickly discover other than the dinette or bed, there is nowhere to sit just to relax or watch TV.

A few short weeks ago we again visited our friendly dealer. Of course, he just happened to have a new 2015 28' International Signature which has everything the Casita had plus a bed you can walk around and everything the 23' has plus places to sit just to relax and maybe watch TV or enjoy the company of another couple.

So you know the rest of the story. In 6 days we pick up our new Airstream and begin another season of RV travel which will include a visit to Canada's east coast and Newfoundland via ferry. We are excited of course.

Taking a brand new RV, even an Airstream on a long road trip right out of dealer PDI, leaves us a tad uncertain but pretty confident that we enjoy having a walk around bed and a place to relax with our feet up.

We do wish sometimes tho, that we had taken time to look at Airstreams back in the day cause we just might have avoided all the depreciation of trucks and trailers and maybe saved a bundle on fuel.

As new Airstream owners with just a year as "rivets", we are happy to have found our local AS Unit and to have already enjoyed great hospitality and knowledge sharing.
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #91
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrittan View Post
We began our RV experience with a heavy 5er almost 20 years ago. Over the following years we traded in and bought two more heavies using 5 different diesel duallys to tow. We decided a couple of years ago the cost of replacing our diesel had simply outstripped our willingness to pay so we sold the truck and the trailer.

We soon discovered we still wanted to enjoy camping with a much smaller RV so we imported a 17' "Casita" and towed it with a caravan. On a month long trip last summer we quickly learned the Casita has most everything an RV'er could ever want except a 'walk around bed'.

The day we returned home we visited our local RV dealer who has always had Airstreams both new and used for sale. He took our Casita on trade for a lightly used 23 Safari SE. We bought a new GMC to tow it as the Safari was a bit of a challenge for the Dodge. We have used and loved this AS23 for the past year or so however, we did quickly discover other than the dinette or bed, there is nowhere to sit just to relax or watch TV.

A few short weeks ago we again visited our friendly dealer. Of course, he just happened to have a new 2015 28' International Signature which has everything the Casita had plus a bed you can walk around and everything the 23' has plus places to sit just to relax and maybe watch TV or enjoy the company of another couple.

So you know the rest of the story. In 6 days we pick up our new Airstream and begin another season of RV travel which will include a visit to Canada's east coast and Newfoundland via ferry. We are excited of course.

Taking a brand new RV, even an Airstream on a long road trip right out of dealer PDI, leaves us a tad uncertain but pretty confident that we enjoy having a walk around bed and a place to relax with our feet up.

We do wish sometimes tho, that we had taken time to look at Airstreams back in the day cause we just might have avoided all the depreciation of trucks and trailers and maybe saved a bundle on fuel.

As new Airstream owners with just a year as "rivets", we are happy to have found our local AS Unit and to have already enjoyed great hospitality and knowledge sharing.

It's difficult to get across to folks that "better" is cheaper over the long haul. My parents had the advantage of insight to my grandparents Streamline about ten years in use before they themselves bought a Silver Streak. Which first travelled with our family of five big people behind a luxury sedan, and then a Suburban. Two TVs over twenty-seven years of ownership and travel with one trailer (a 28'; hard to beat the size, isn't it?).

There are those who are going to trade every 3-6 years no matter what. But for those who don't want to, the familiarity of a well sorted trailer is a distinct pleasure over many years.

Which doesn't quite explain why I'm on my third in ten years, ha!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 10:44 PM   #92
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Constantly being on the move is definitely my reason for being Class A all the way. I really hope AS starts up their Class A division again as I'm ready to upgrade. I've loved being part of the Airstrean community. You just don't really get that with Newell. My current options are either buying my parents Newell as they're upgrading as well, but it I've also got my eye on a Foretravel. What model is yours David? I'm in the market for a 40-45' and as much as I love the look of a Grand Villa (imo the Grand Villas, AS Classic, and 1980's Vogues are the best looking motorbikes ever made) but entirely not practical for my needs. I'm looking at used Ironhorses. Foretravel did copy my favorite thing about Newell: the flat floor in and out slide outs (the retractable floor is still the coolest thing ever to happen in an RV again IMO...oh and the AS Classic TT with a slideouts).
If I wasn't constantly on the move I would totally go with a TT but I put good use to those $100k Diesel engines (as someone above said)
I say we start a petition for AS to bring back Class As. I've looked at the Interstate seriously. It's usually just myself and one travel companion but the lack of space (interior and storage) just doesn't seem plausible...especially considering I'm bursting at the seams in 36'!
Anyways, as always. Happy trails.
LucasS is offline   Reply With Quote