Old 05-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We thought about the cost of a new Airstream when looking a few years ago. We could have bought a white box trailer for about 1/3 the cost of the similar size Airstream. We then thought about the years ahead when sitting in the white box trailer looking at it's drab, dark and cheap interior and saying to ourselves, "what where we thinking when we could have had an Airstream".

Old 05-26-2015, 06:55 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Pharmgeek had over 1,000 posts on Airforums before he even had a trailer-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I figure - I burned through all the same questions that I would have asked post hoc - once purchased mainly enjoyment left

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #60
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Imagine what he was like while courting 😳
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
That's why he is quite happily married!

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
OK, before I purchased my current AS, I did this "analysis" of the floor plans with an overlay.

Airstream Floorplans.003 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

The comparison shows that for actual length of the room, the AS is about 75% of the bus. Width, well, with the slides out the bus is clearly superior. And, the moho has all that nice solid cherry wood, lalala....

Weight: 41,000 moho, 7300 AS

Fuel mileage 7-8 moho, 12-14 Dodge pulling AS.

Cost: $388,000 moho, $104,000 AS (less discounts, of course)

Depreciation over four years: moho >$100,000, AS $15-25,000

Gosh, the AS does not look so expensive anymore....LOL

Have to add in the TV.

My folks had exactly two in twenty seven years of owning the same TT that were also my Dads daily driver. About 400k miles combined.

There is a crowd around here that trades prematurely. 5-7 years. Depreciation is a huge hit.

One can make a case for Moho and toad that is comparatively cheaper in this where length of ownership is key.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:47 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Our 31' Classic is not really a Classic. It's a classic shell purchased new from the AS factory, shipped to Timeless in Colorado, then custom outfitted. I won't reveal the price - not because we are embarrassed by it or regret spending it - but rather because it doesn't matter.
We wanted an AS because it's not only a quality product but because you can do exactly what we did - customize it to fit our specific needs and desires. My husband is 6'4" so we have a real queen bed (not RV queen), taller countertops made of stainless steel, a huge metal shower, tall backed recliners instead of a sofa, pull out stainless top desk, deep double bin farmhouse sink, tankless hot water heater, abundance of drawers and built-ins. One of these days we'll sell our business and hit the road full time. We won't have to compromise on comfort because we planned a trailer that meets our specific needs.
We bought it 6.5 years ago; it looks brand new even though it has been camped in many times and has made numerous trips - including 2 to Colorado. We are in our mid-fifties and expect to enjoy it for many years. After 6.5 years it still meets our specific needs and wants.
We could have spent this money on a fixed-in-place retirement home, or on a home we can move around the country. We chose the latter.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
I started this thread. Purpose was to discuss Airstream quality not compare it with motor homes, although I mentioned I was downsizing from a class A diesel, now we have a Newell in the discussion. In case your not aware a Newell Motor Home is custom built $1.5 + million dollar coach. THREAD CLOSED BECAUSE we are WAY off the original point.....stop commenting.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:10 AM   #65
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You are right the thread has taken on a whole new life.
I just purchased a new Nash 25'. For 1/4 the cost of an A$. It is right up there with A$ when it comes to quality and workmanship. I will be 70 this month and fully expect this coach to outlast me. I will spend the difference in price traveling and enjoying my time on the road.
I mentioned earlier that I also own a '74 Argosy 26' which I will put up against any new A$ for reliability.
But I just could not bring myself to spend the kind of money it takes to buy a new A$.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 2014 Classic model 30 listed for $96,147 without any options or tax. The same basic floor plan model with less storage for 2015 listed for over $122,000. There is a 5.5% price increase for 2016. I expect the 2016 models to be crowding $135,000 to $140,000 this year when the usual options are added.

All older Classic Airstreams values will decline more slowly with these significant increases in list prices for new units.

Between the new in 2013 2012 Ram 2500HD diesel (even at model year close prices) and the Classic Airstream acquired in 2014 plus all the custom modifications to both vehicles, the money spent is a significant number that would have purchased a modest home in our area. We also acquired a space in a mountain Airstream only RV park only three hours from our home. I figure when I am unable to manhandle the truck and trailer anymore, the Airstream will still be a summer home for us.

My wife is like a little girl in a new playhouse. She just loves the complete camping experience in our Airstream. When the wife is really happy, so is everyone else.....

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
We also acquired a space in a mountain Airstream only RV park only three hours from our home. I figure when I am unable to manhandle the truck and trailer anymore, the Airstream will still be a summer home for us.
switz.... where is this AS only park? Sounds interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
When the wife is really happy, so is everyone else.....
Truer words were never spoken!
Old 05-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
To replace our current truck and trailer would be a ridiculous sum of money.
$50,000 for a comparable truck + $140,000 for a comparable trailer = $190,000 to replace the rig-
Hope nothing drastic ever happens-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
Sorry I took the thread off course (I have Asperger's syndrome and do stupid stuff like that without realising I'm doing it so I apologize...and we're known for obsessing on one thing and RV's happen to be my particular...but I prefer to think of it as a hobby I'm very invested in).
But to the original topic...hell yes Airstreams are expensive but I think they're worth every penny...just not brand new. Sadly they depreciate at the same rate as any luxury vehicle (BMW, Benz, etc.) Which is why I say buy gently used. I can't believe the price difference between the '16s and '14s.
There is no question that Airstreams are one of the highest quality products currently being made. As far as the travel trailers segment in particular, the new Land Yacht has nothing on the market that even comes close. If I didn't personally find towing a trailer such a hassle compared to a Class A with a toad I would have bought one in '14 their first year (though the new ducted air makes me glad I didn't...)
Anyways, I'm off to the B-van forum's to direct my questions there.

I'll leave on this...never forget how lucky we all are to be owners of an Airstream (whether trailer, B-Van, Class A) the fact is we own Airstreams!! The most recognized name in RV's the whole world over, with the coolest owners I've ever met. That SOB class A I mentioned sure as heck doesn't come with rallies and forums like these.

Happy Streaming everyone! Here's to an amazing summer wherever the road takes you.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:23 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS View Post
If I didn't personally find towing a trailer such a hassle compared to a Class A with a toad I would have bought one in '14 their first year
Class A's can be incredibly comfortable and easy to drive. The space, amenities, and luxuries are awesome! The big diesel pushers just glide down the road, almost silently, with a wheelbase for pure smoothness and comfort. And they are incredibly fast and easy to set up in camp. Unhitching the toad is also fast and very easy. I know I will miss those aspects when we shift from our 44' diesel pusher to a 30' Airstream. But we're looking forward to the economy of the trailer and I know there will be decent creature comforts, even if at the cost of more time and effort for set-up in camp and hitching/unhitching.