Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
My first Airstream!
1968 30' Sovereign
Kitchener , Ontario
'68 Airstream for kids and technology

Hello everyone,

I've been following the forum posts here for a while and I finally have a reason to post

I just bought a 30' 1968 Airstream LY and I'm planning on remodelling it by polishing the outside and customizing the inside into a high-tech looking office. I know it might be a bit blasphemous to gut the original interior, especially since it's in such good shape, but I hope you won't too upset me once I tell you how we're going to use the Airstream.

The plan is to retrofit the AS and then use it as an outreach vehicle that we would take to schools to get students grade 5 - 12 super excited about technology. We will run several different programs from the AS, including teaching kids how to write software, build robots and get tutoring in math and science if they need it. This will eventually lead to a center that we're hoping to build with the same mandate. By the way, all of this programming for the kids will be provided 100% free of charge!

My question to everyone here is this: I don't want to just gut the AS and throw everything out. I know there are a lot of people looking for original spare parts to do restorations. What's the best way to sell off the interior so someone else so they may enjoy it in their Airstream?

I'm attaching a few pictures here so that you have a better sense of what this "little" beauty looks like.

Looking forward to your feedback as well as any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	186178   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	186179  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1300.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	186180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	186181  

confusement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Interior Parts

You can list the items you wish to sell by selecting the Classifieds tab above and on the right upper corner of that page you will see a login button. Use your Forums Avatar name and password to log in. Then set up your ad with items you wish to sell and include pictures of the items so others will be able to determine condition. You may also want to list the color of items like countertops tables etc. Hope this helps. I think your A/S is in great condition as a TT but will hopefully serve a "new life" as your project goes forward. You will most likely see msgs from folks needing things you are not going to sell but the vast majority will be glad you are offering these interior parts to help with their repairs/restorations. Who knows you may even have some items I want! Good Luck and Happy Trails, Ed

1967 Safari Twin "Landshark" w/International trim package
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat!
When I looked at the tire... I noticed your CAT!"
Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Wow! That thing is in great shape! Too bad you can't find a gutted trailer to start with and save this beautiful trailer for someone to enjoy as is.If you have to gut it you can always advertise here in the classified section for free. You can also try your local Craigslist and Ebay.
Shipping large items is always a pain but you may find someone who lives close by or willing to drive to you and pick up.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member
2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
I Applaud Your Goal.........BUT!

I applaud your goal, but I believe you should resell the Airstream to someone who can appreciate it's very good ORIGINAL condition; after all originality only occurs ONCE, and can never be replicated. As mentioned above, try to source one which could more readily appreciate an interior customization.
withidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have to agree, its a shame to redo what doesn't need to be redone.
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
My first Airstream!
1968 30' Sovereign
Kitchener , Ontario
Thank you...

Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback. I won't lie, I feel the same way about gutting an Airstream that is mostly original and in such great shape. That's why I posted here for some advice :-)

The issues I found with all of the other 30' airstreams I looked at was that if the interior was missing or in bad shape, the outside shell (and sometimes frame) were in equally bad shape. So the restoration costs seem to grow exponentially

I picked this beauty up for $4,500 and have replaced the brakes, suspension, sway bars, a few other things as well as brand new set of tires. For an additional $3,100.

I'd be happy to sell this one and try to find another one, but since I'm not really familiar with the Airstream market I'm going to ask here. Do you feel like I will lose money on this trailer at this point?

Since, we will be operating as a not for profit, budget is a concern.

I appreciate any feedback that you can provide.

Best regards,

confusement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina

why not try to list it for what you have in it ... note that you would take a butted 31 as partial trade. I will agree, it's a shame to gut this as you have such a NICE unit! will the kids care if the outside is a bit dented? will the non-profit be thrilled you save money?

'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote