Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
50 ASes a week!!!!

Went through JC yesterday and took my 4th tour.

The computerized router table for cutting window, door, rivet, etc openings is up and running.

They have got a new wood bender and laminater (not set up yet) to bring the bent wood cabinetry back in house.

Don said they are at 40 units a week right now and will soon be gearing up for 50 units a week (WOW! I don't recall them being that high in my memory). They have been hiring workers.

They are building mostly Bambis, Sports, internationals, and A LOT of FCs. I must have missed the discussion of the 30' Flying Cloud Bunk. What a nice unit for families. They say it sleeps 2 - 7, but I see comfrotable sleeping for 8 if some are kids.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
What amazes me is the absence of a showroom for the folks who are going to purchase these trailers. Particularly those who are first time buyers.

While we were happy with our FC 23FB when we pulled it off the dealer's lot, it soon became apparent that a centrally located showroom would have educated us to the extent that a larger trailer would have been more desirable.

Unfortunately, first time buyers are left to the availability of inventory, and the distance they can/want to travel.

Airstream is making a marketing blunder (IMO, of course) by not having a representation of the most popular units, and the ability to show the perspective customer options available to that particular model.

They can increase their output, but without the educated consumer, sales will be considerably less than they could be.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
What amazes me is the absence of a showroom for the folks who are going to purchase these trailers. Particularly those who are first time buyers.

While we were happy with our FC 23FB when we pulled it off the dealer's lot, it soon became apparent that a centrally located showroom would have educated us to the extent that a larger trailer would have been more desirable.

Unfortunately, first time buyers are left to the availability of inventory, and the distance they can/want to travel.

Airstream is making a marketing blunder (IMO, of course) by not having a representation of the most popular units, and the ability to show the perspective customer options available to that particular model.

They can increase their output, but without the educated consumer, sales will be considerably less than they could be.
I understand, but just like automakers, every one that leaves the plant is sold.......to a dealer. The dealer orders (for stock or sold orders) drive the production. So it is left to the dealer to understand their individual markets. Doesn't always happen correctly, but that's the system. On the flip side, a dealer nor a manufacturer can afford to have a bloated inventory. On average, every car sitting on a lot costs the dealer about $6 a day in interest. Few dealers own their inventory completely. They are lucky if the own their used inventory. I suspect RV dealers operate in a similar constrained environment.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I understand, but just like automakers, every one that leaves the plant is sold.......to a dealer. The dealer orders (for stock or sold orders) drive the production. So it is left to the dealer to understand their individual markets. Doesn't always happen correctly, but that's the system. On the flip side, a dealer nor a manufacturer can afford to have a bloated inventory. On average, every car sitting on a lot costs the dealer about $6 a day in interest. Few dealers own their inventory completely. They are lucky if the own their used inventory. I suspect RV dealers operate in a similar constrained environment.
Inventory obviously drives the argument, and your points are well taken.

As you see introduction of new dealers (which is Airstream's current strategy), notice the first year's inventory, versus subsequent. Any given dealer will obviously start strong, and, more than likely, see their inventory grower smaller with each additional sales season; nature of the beast.

My only point is that, with a growth strategy like this, marketing strategy plays a more important role.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
I have also wondered why the factory does not have a small enclosed "showroom and museum". I do realize that the foot traffic throught the door isn't great, but it sure wouldn't take much to erect a 5 or 6 bay garage to put a couple of current offerings in and the most historic trailers.

Every car plant you drive by has samples sitting on a mound. Why not AS?!
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
$$$$$
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Hopefully quality will not go down as they are ramping up hiring and production levels. I'd like to think mine will still be built on time (scheduled to start production two weeks from today). Did Don mention when this new higher output would be starting?
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i thought we would be talking about 50 asses a week - i misread the title.

NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
Hopefully quality will not go down as they are ramping up hiring and production levels. I'd like to think mine will still be built on time (scheduled to start production two weeks from today). Did Don mention when this new higher output would be starting?
He just said 40 by next week and 50 later this spring.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
i thought we would be talking about 50 asses a week - i misread the title.

Of course I had to look this up, I wasn't sure if that was a mule or an ass.

Here are the definitions according to the Mule Barn:
  • Mule: A domesticated, hybrid animal that results from crossing a mare (female horse) and a jack (male donkey).
  • Donkey: A domesticated ass.
Which, of course, begs the question "What is an ass?" Thankfully, Mule Barn also provides a definition of this particular animal.
  • Ass: A four-footed, hoofed mammal related to the horse, but smaller, with longer ears and a shorter mane, shorter hair on the tail, and a dark stripe along the back.

By the definitions above I am sure my wife thinks I am a Donkey.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
$$$$$[/QUOTE]

Yup.

But it would be cool! Of course, a showroom at the plant would be a lot like preaching to the choir.

Now a showroom outside of a couple a major National Parks (yellowstone...) might bring dividends.

At least they should consider a spot inside for Wallys gold trailer. Might want to fix it up a little though
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
well, i didn't want to google "ass pictures" so i figured ya'll would get the message if i posted a photo of a donkey instead of having to sort through questionable content ...
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

Here are the definitions according to the Mule Barn:

[*]Mule: A domesticated, hybrid animal that results from crossing a mare (female horse) and a jack (male donkey).[*]Donkey: A domesticated ass.

Which, of course, begs the question "What is an ass?" Thankfully, Mule Barn also provides a definition of this particular animal.
[*]Ass: A four-footed, hoofed mammal related to the horse, but smaller, with longer ears and a shorter mane, shorter hair on the tail, and a dark stripe along the back.

By the definitions above I am sure my wife thinks I am a Donkey.
I thought it was half horse and half donkey, also known as a mule But sterile, so you can't "breed" asses. A male is known as a jack.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Had a friend named " jack ". Once

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I know Jack.

You can tell by some of my posts.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't know Jack. You can tell by ALL my posts!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
I don't know Jack. You can tell by ALL my posts!
bluto set you up nicely for that one!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Sometimes when the door is left open, you just have to go in.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post

But Murrey, this way they sold you and I two Airstreams each!

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Sometimes when the door is left open, you just have to go in.
My hats off to ya, that was good.