Old 07-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Missoula , Montana
5 Lifestyle Favorites?

I'm two weeks away from taking the maiden voyage in our 1967 Streamline Duchess. It's been more than a year of frame-off remodel work, and our family of 4 (kids are 5&6) has never owned or stayed in a camper trailer. So as we are getting outfitted for our first journey (to glacier national park) my question is...What would be your top 5 essential/luxury lifestyle favorites?

More detail on my project blog:

JJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
1) A clean private toilet.
2) An AC in 90+/a furnace in 45-
3) Coffee
4) A fan to drown out the noise.
5) Chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches make a nice alternative to the traditional S'mores.

Probably just the first chapter of a very long book.

Travel safe. Pat

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:06 AM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Being fully self contained, taking everything you need for life with you.

Your clothes and toiletries are put away, and you are sleeping in your own bed every night.

Your kids will love the trailer, campgrounds, playgrounds, everything about it.

Have never known of kids that didn't, and our grands would always go with us, anyplace and any time.

Have your favorite adult beverages stashed away, for a little quiet time and reflection on your day, after the kiddos are down to bed.

Have a great time.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
1. If you drink coffee, a way to make coffee with little to no mess. We ended up with a percolator pot (safety in pouring with lid and spout and handle), and a collapsible pour-over filter holder. Put a paper filter into the cone holder, add coffee. Heat only water in the percolator pot, pour over the filter, and brew straight into a 32 oz thermos. No mess. Coffee stays hot. There are other methods that make slightly better coffee (brewing in the percolator, french press, moka) but these take time and water to clean up, and the grounds can end up everywhere.

2. Eating dishes and glasses that don't blow over in the wind. Sometimes it is just too windy or unlevel to easily use paper plates and solo cups without dinner ending up spilled. We got some melamine plates at big lots that are not expensive. We got 4 yeti cups that were expensive, but don't blow over. Insulated drink cups with lids or spill proof water bottles would also work.

3. A wide and shallow trash can that doesn't tip over easily. It should fit on the counter if needed for use during prep. It should be able to scoot under the dinette. And be easily used outside. Should be wide enough for paper plates. We use a cube shaped plastic storage container I got at Target for about $7. And figure on using at least 2 trash bags per day.

4. Good blankets and pillows. Hard to sleep if you are cold. Also wool socks to wear while sleeping. I also have wool pullover I wear while sleeping. With a comforter and wool blanket. You will want the windows open somewhat while sleeping so that moisture from breathing doesn't make the air sticky and damp. So you will need good covers.

5. A folding side table for use outside. A table about the size of a TV tray table is very handy outside. For drinks while sitting around the fire, for extra surface when cooking outside, for holding your book and drink while reading. Try to find one that can get rained on, and that is sturdy enough to hold a coleman stove (if you use one, we do)

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
1. Working AC
2. Working toilet
3. Dry bed
4. Working fridge
5. Full pantry
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:54 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
My top five are mostly "luxury" items rather than essentials, because my Airstream already has most of the essentials built-in and I don't need to list them. In no particular order:

A free-standing screen room that can be erected over the picnic table to keep the bugs away and provide shade if tree cover is sparse. I just bought my second one, a hexagonal model from Clam Corp. that should be a lot easier to erect by one person than the square Coleman model I used previously.

A portable grill (charcoal or propane) that can be set on the picnic table. Not all campgrounds provide charcoal grills at each campsite. And those that do don't always provide good ones.

A folding table. Not all campgrounds provide picnic tables. You might get by with just a picnic blanket, but some of us have old knees and ankles and have trouble sitting on the ground to eat.

Stadium seats. Picnic benches can usually do with some padding. Stadium seats usually fit the provided picnic benches, and not only provide padding but also a seat back that you can lean against.

Comfortable folding chairs for sitting around the campfire. Plus if you have to use your own folding table for dining alfresco it may not have convenient benches to sit on.

You can get by without some or all of these (and I often did when my trips were limited to long weekends) but a "luxurious" campsite in my opinion has most of them, and the longer I plan to stay at a given campsite, the more likely I am to carry all of these items.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #7
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
- plan daily meals so you have one shopping trip
- have fun
- deck of cards if it rains
- mat outside door if you are on dirt
- minimum amt of clothes and things so you are not trippng over things.

2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote