Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a 30' rear island queen-
I wish I had twin beds- more storage, better/easier access to storage, easier to walk through, easier to make the beds.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
If you're planning to stay in privately owned RV parks with hookups, the longer length should not be a problem. In California most state parks have a 27 foot limit (some even shorter). We have a 25 foot Safari because most of our camping is in state parks. I've seen plenty of larger rigs in the campgrounds we frequent even with the 27 foot limit. But, you typically can't get into those campgrounds without making reservations 7 months in advance.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
In California most state parks have a 27 foot limit (some even shorter).
Then you should find out what the length includes for CA Parks.

I say that because, although AS has always measured from bumper to hitch, such has not been the case with SOB trailers. They may consider what we call a 31-footer to be only 27 feet.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Face it. You are not comparing a short trailer to a long trailer. 28 feet versus 31 or 32 is not going to be that big a difference in site size. Once every few years it make make the difference. But there are lots and lots of camp sites that will take it. There will be more tendency to drag the rear with the longer trailer. Particularly if the axles have sagged a little. I find the longer trailer a little easier to back. There will be no difference in fuel consumption. Little difference in power requirements.

I think the bigger issue is how good a condition the trailer is in and will you be happy camping in it? Most likely it will benefit from new axles so I would figure that in the budget for it. That gets you brakes, bearings, etc. too so consider it possibly up front. I have never had a rear bath trailer. I would pass on one. I like the center bath, rear bedroom and I think the trailers hold up better and are easier to keep working in that configuration. And I would pass if it does not have a gray water tank.
I think I understand why a rear bathroom is not preferred. But if you have a mid trailer bath and shower does it matter, in your opinion, whether you have front or rear bedroom setup. Some have posted they like front beds as they want the dining/sitting area in the rear to take advantage of better views from the panorama windows.

What's your take on bedroom placement in these trailers?
Estoniankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Then you should find out what the length includes for CA Parks.

I say that because, although AS has always measured from bumper to hitch, such has not been the case with SOB trailers. They may consider what we call a 31-footer to be only 27 feet.
Living in California and having camped at most state and federal parks over the years since a kid I can say the larger the RV the tougher it is to find a spot. Most government campgrounds were built a long time ago. I starting camping (tent) in the 70's and they were there then. Beyond bathroom upgrades not much has changed.

The standard larger state park site is a 27 foot. But those might be half or fewer in a typical campground. Some sites will barely fit a Honda Civic. Others, the parking pad so out of level as to not make it worthwhile. When tent camping none of this matters, which is what the older parks designers must had in mind. In a lot of parks the fifth wheel crowd is simply locked out. Most of my camping has been in a pop-up and even then campsites choices started to become a factor.

I'll book a 27 foot campsite for my 27FB. I count on hanging a couple feet off the back of the pad, though more and more I see boulders placed at the pads end to prevent people from driving all the way off with their too large RV. I always need to unhook then try to park the truck sideways or somehow skewed to the trailer. I fit but barely. In these sites its impossible to stay attached to the trailer without blocking the campground road. The general rule is all four truck tires must stay on the pavement and vehicle out of the road or the park ranger will make a stink. I've never had a problem navigating the campground road and dodging trees.

Many state and federal parks sometimes have larger sites but typically not a lot of those and they go quick. I would never think of arriving on a weekend without a site specific reservation.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:24 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Ditto what Kscherzi said about CA parks. Trailer length may be less of an issue in other western states' parks. Other than state and federal parks, some privately owned RV parks/resorts have age/condition requirements. They don't allow anything over 10 years of age and they don't allow anything that doesn't meet their subjective standards for overall condition. I've never seen this as a problem with Airstreams (especially if they're in good condition) but it may be something to consider.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
For me the rear bedroom is good. We do require single beds. Lots of times the rear of the trailer is backed up to a fence or some other unsightly thing around the campground. A new trailer with a rear or front bath would be okay. But we were talking about a very old trailer and that is a problem with the rear bath. I have only camped in rear bedroom trailers and that is what I am used to. As you see we have 2 older trailers. We travel in the 25' extensively and I like that size very much. You will also note that older 25' trailers go for a premium price so a lot of people must like them. For me buying used condition tops layout and to a certain extent size. (except for the twin beds).
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
In about six months after acquiring our first travel trailer, we decided to switch from a 2013 25FB International Serenity to a 2014 31' Classic model 30. We both are much happier with this unit.

We have enjoyed a few state parks in southern Colorado with the longer unit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Our first trailer was a front bedroom. Essentially the exact same layout rotated 180 degrees. It it so functional that I love it regardless of which direction it faces. Living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom works for me either way it faces. The other trailer had 2 doors, but the main entry was at the rear living room. With all the windows in our trailer you can see out all 4 sides no matter where you are sitting.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I've had no trouble finding a space for my 31' and it is easy to maneuver. However, mine is a rear bath, which has gone the way of the dinosaur and I am finding, especially at newer parks, that the sewer hookup is designed for the mid bath trailers. Sometimes I have to splice 2 sewer hoses to make the run but aside from that no problem.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote