Old 10-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Spotsylvania , Virginia
30' FC or International

Wife and I purchased a 2015 23 FB and with two rather large dogs we need / want a bigger trailer.

The wife made up her mind she wants the 30' trailer with two single beds. We will probably spend a few months in the winter in a warmer climate every year until I get too old and feeble to pull the AS.

My truck is a 2016 F150, Eco Boost (let us not get this thread into whether my truck will handle the trailer or not.)

What would your choice be (FC or International) and why?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
The FC typically has more storage. The International has a more modern feel and more windows, but in the 30 it gives up some overhead storage cabinets and some storage under the dinette. We love the look of the International Serenity, but went with the FC because we thought the cabinets would hold up better and we wanted more storage. I think we would have been happy either way though.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
I prefer the FC in the 30 foot models. There are two more storage cabinets above the dinette (FC = storage cabinets, INT = vista view windows.) I'd rather have the storage.

I also prefer the way the overhead cabinets swing open on the FC instead of have the sliding plastic on the INT. I feel like there's more room in the FC cabinets with the way they open. Plus you can have both open at the same time, and you can reach into the cabinet easier.

I like the Int. Serenity model a lot better than the Int. Signature. For some reason the signatures do nothing for me. I like the models with brighter colors. I don't care for the internationals with the really dark wood.

I've heard some people say that the internationals are built with better materials, but I disagree. They're the same bones, same appliances, same shell, the only difference is aesthetics, cabinet construction (which I think FC is better) and possible sink that's a different style.

The great news is that there are lots of options for you and they're all great trailers. We have a 2010 FC30 and we've loved it. We love the corner closets in the bedroom, along with the bright cabinets.

My advice is to step inside as many as you can. After a while, one trim/layout will just feel "right." I've fallen in love with trailers based on pics online, but when I stepped inside I didn't like them at all in person. Nothing beats seeing them in person. There are far more similarities between a FC and international 30 than differences. It's really just the trim, dinette setup, cabinet access, and look and feel. The bones, tanks, etc. are all the same.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what we prefer, it matters what you prefer. An International and Flying Cloud are 98% the same.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I opted for the FC because of the weight. It was a little lighter. That may have changed. But I am 100% happy with my choice.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I love my Serenity 28 International- awesome machine. Did very well through hurricane Matthew.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I know you don't want a thread about whether or not your truck will handle it... But, you did throw that in. So...

Over on another forum, there have been some concerns on how stable the newer, aluminum F150s are towing larger loads. Never a doubt whether the ecoboost can tow it, mostly how the overall experience is. These are with a bunch of box trailers, so I'm not saying it couldn't handle the Airstream. Just be aware, the stability seems more worrisome 2015 - newer.

The only think I absolutely dislike on the FC 30' is that drawer under the dinette. It's rediculous, but that alone would push me to something else. I'm with "explore more" that the serenity is a much more appealing option.

Just my .02, enjoy the process! Sometimes I feel like we agonize over choices that are all pretty good!

Good luck!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #7
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
Wife and I purchased a 2015 23 FB and with two rather large dogs we need / want a bigger trailer.

The wife made up her mind she wants the 30' trailer with two single beds. We will probably spend a few months in the winter in a warmer climate every year until I get too old and feeble to pull the AS.

My truck is a 2016 F150, Eco Boost (let us not get this thread into whether my truck will handle the trailer or not.)

What would your choice be (FC or International) and why?

OK, First off; MY 2015 F-150 EcoBoost handles a 30' FC very well, at speeds up to 120 KPH. (75MPH) even in temps of +35 DEG. C. (I don't need to go faster, and my wife wants me to slow down.) So there!

Next; I had traded in a 23' HI-LO on a 25' FC, and used it for three months. However.........
I did not like the 'East-West' bed, or lack of storage, so......:..
I took it back to CanAm, and broused through a 30' International that Andy uses for a Demo at RV shows and such.
The interior configuration was good, but i thought that the furnishings were kinda 'tacky', but...
The configuration I did like; so I took a 30' FC that I thought had better quality interior. I was not wrong.
This 2016 30' FC is quite comfortable, the bed is comfortable, the thing tows well with the 'Husky' hitch, and EVERYTHING WORKS!
There is lots of storage in the interior, for clothes and cookery and things that make a house a home.
And the cabinetry is of good solid quality; not 'cheep' plastic
Even my wife who has never been an RVer, ("I just go along for the ride), even she is comfortable with it. ("Where's our next trip to?")

For me, even though the International costs more, I think that I made a good choice staying with the FC line for the two of us.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
We traded up from a 25' Flying Cloud to a 30' International Serenity. Yes, the FC had those upper cabinets and maybe those storage cabinets under the dinette seats, but we found that we could slide some stuff for storage under the Serenity dinette seats which you could not do with the FC. I really hated what I thought was the cheesy looking flooring in the FC, and we (especially the wife) both really liked the Serenity decor - flooring, walls, countertop, cabinets, etc. I didn't like the sliding overhead cabinet doors, but it does not bother me now. So, I say it comes down to personal preference. As stated earlier, spend a lot of time in each one before you buy.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
I know you don't want a thread about whether or not your truck will handle it... But, you did throw that in. So...

Over on another forum, there have been some concerns on how stable the newer, aluminum F150s are towing larger loads. Never a doubt whether the ecoboost can tow it, mostly how the overall experience is. These are with a bunch of box trailers, so I'm not saying it couldn't handle the Airstream. Just be aware, the stability seems more worrisome 2015 - newer.

The only think I absolutely dislike on the FC 30' is that drawer under the dinette. It's rediculous, but that alone would push me to something else. I'm with "explore more" that the serenity is a much more appealing option.

Just my .02, enjoy the process! Sometimes I feel like we agonize over choices that are all pretty good!

Good luck!
Yes, what a great problem to grapple with, which 30' AirStream to purchase.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We compared them when buying our 2012. The Serenity is bright and cheery, nicely done. The FC is also very nice, and durable. The only difference was decor, about $10K worth. We took the FC with all available options, added some more, and had recliner seating/custom tables and cabinets done with that.

They are both nice Airstreams, I think the FC is the value of the entire lineup. But if this expensive purchase is for long term, as an Airstream should be, get the one you like and has styling that will endure time.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Doug said it well. Big Purchase/personal taste.

We love bright, and even with a half year at a time in our 28' International Ocean Breeze we have accommodated to the available space and don't feel that we need more internal storage. So the extra brightness and "coollness" of the vista windows vs extra cabinets is an easy choice for us.

We're not beige people, although the FC's cabinets are very nice if wood is a viable option for you. We actually like the sliding upper cabinet doors.

I'm not sure whether the three awnings are still standard with the Internationals, but if they are, that's
one pricey option that you''ll definitely want for an FC, somewhat reducing the price diff between the two.

But again, as Doug said, if you're buying new, get the one you're going to love 5 years from now as much as right now!

We still like the white cabinetry, vista window brightness, and silver bulkhead of our Ocean Breeze so much going into our upcoming eighth season that we've decided to "refresh" it rather than buy something else new--even though we are forced to change the seating and curtain fabrics because they are no longer available.

Over time, we have made small changes to the coach that we've seen in newer models--notably first changing halogens to LED's and then adding dimmer switches.

Whether you decide on Serenity or FC, you really can't go wrong!
Old 10-12-2016, 10:15 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Well, after much thought, an adult beverage or two and the sales manager stating that AS always has a 2% price increase in Dec.

The wife and I ordered a 2017 FC with the new white interior, I think they call it Landmark or Sandpiper. We got all the options available for the FC. Looking for a Dec/Jan delivery.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:41 AM   #13
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Congrats. Excellent choice.

Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time: http://themoreweexplore.com
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
We chose the same decor for our 25fb. We really like the lighter leather and the new texture on the cushions. Our dealer, who has a huge selection on hand, only had one in the Sandpiper, and I only found one in our size online. Definitely not very common.

We ordered back in August and pick it up on Saturday. It was a long wait, but glad we got what we wanted.