Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
The reasons you are considering a smaller Airstream like the 20'FC is exactly why we chose one for our only Airstream. After several visits to Colonial in NJ, and experiencing all activities one does with two in the tiny space, we decided it was a good fit for us. We just love the kitchen, nice full size bathroom and fixed bed which is always ready to jump in. Of course, the smaller sq. footage is not for everyone but the easy tow with our VW SUV, ability to store at home and always finding campsites our 20' Airstream easily fits, makes it a great experience.

FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:35 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Nashville , Tennessee
With the average new Airstream buyer being about 80 years old (wink, wink) the reality is the Airstream you buy now will be the Airstream you or your heirs will sell in a couple of years.

With the youngest Baby Boomer's now 60 years old and growing older just ask quickly the market for these LARGE new and used Airstream trailers will continue to SHRINK! The younger buyer's DOES NOT WANT BIG and all the problems they believe come with going BIG. Bigger tow vehicle, Bigger Storage Problem, Mo Gas to buy, Bigger maintenance problems, more crowded camp grounds on and on!

It's already hard to sell an older or vintage 27-34 foot Airstream trailer to anyone under 60 so what makes anyone think this market trend to smaller well designed trailers will not continue? Why do ya think Airstream entered the smaller Fiberglass Trailer market? Why do market fiberglass trailer leaders Casita, Scamp and Oliver only manufacture 20 foot or smaller trailers? Why are all the main stream RV manufacturer's going SMALLER with their new RV trailer offerings?

The writing is on the wall for most anything BIG. Cars, homes, trucks and most anything else these days is moving to smaller more efficient products designed for the YOUNGER generation who are the future. Not the old Codger "Boomer" who is on the way out!

Those who want still want BIG are now facing their own mortality by living in the 4th quarter of the game of life and those in the second and early third quarter of the game of life have a complete different perspective of how to live life, what they want out of life and more importantly what they may or may not be able to afford in life.

The US "Boomer's" are the most effluent generation to ever walk the face of the Earth. So who is going to want to buy all the "Boomer's" junk when they are dead and dying?

Not the Millennials or whatever else they call this "Younger Generation" these days!

Better sell all your BIG STUFF NOW while there are still some younger "Boomer's" left to unload it upon!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #45
TetonStreamer

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Wilson , Wyoming
Always Have a Place for Our 20' FC

First Airstream was a 2008 19' Bambi bought in 2010. Loved it, easy to handle while parking (we do a lot of boondocking), fits in all the Park lots, and we towed it with a diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. We pulled into our dealer in Idaho during a Airstream sale and we bought the 20' FC. Liked that even better, my wife really liked the galley layout. Plenty of storage throughout the trailer. The bed is the only point of issue in either the 19' or 20'. While my wife crawling over me a couple of times did not bother me.... she did not like the drill. We are now in a 23FB which is as large as we will ever go... its right at our limit.

Get the 19' or 20' and get out there and "stream". Hey... you can always sell it, its a fairly liquid market.
Old 04-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Burleson , Texas
LOL, VintageRacer! I'm at the tail end of the BB but not yet at 60!

We have a 25FB and it's really right for US! but we have always been through the motions of pros and cons of different layouts and .. I would personally LOVE to have a 25FB layout in a 20ft AS.
Wait.. did I just go off on a tangent? Sorry, I did not read the entire thread!

Mappity map
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Davis , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
With the average new Airstream buyer being about 80 years old (wink, wink) the reality is the Airstream you buy now will be the Airstream you or your heirs will sell in a couple of years.

With the youngest Baby Boomer's now 60 years old and growing older just ask quickly the market for these LARGE new and used Airstream trailers will continue to SHRINK! The younger buyer's DOES NOT WANT BIG and all the problems they believe come with going BIG. Bigger tow vehicle, Bigger Storage Problem, Mo Gas to buy, Bigger maintenance problems, more crowded camp grounds on and on!

It's already hard to sell an older or vintage 27-34 foot Airstream trailer to anyone under 60 so what makes anyone think this market trend to smaller well designed trailers will not continue? Why do ya think Airstream entered the smaller Fiberglass Trailer market? Why do market fiberglass trailer leaders Casita, Scamp and Oliver only manufacture 20 foot or smaller trailers? Why are all the main stream RV manufacturer's going SMALLER with their new RV trailer offerings?

The writing is on the wall for most anything BIG. Cars, homes, trucks and most anything else these days is moving to smaller more efficient products designed for the YOUNGER generation who are the future. Not the old Codger "Boomer" who is on the way out!

Those who want still want BIG are now facing their own mortality by living in the 4th quarter of the game of life and those in the second and early third quarter of the game of life have a complete different perspective of how to live life, what they want out of life and more importantly what they may or may not be able to afford in life.

The US "Boomer's" are the most effluent generation to ever walk the face of the Earth. So who is going to want to buy all the "Boomer's" junk when they are dead and dying?

Not the Millennials or whatever else they call this "Younger Generation" these days!

Better sell all your BIG STUFF NOW while there are still some younger "Boomer's" left to unload it upon!
Hey, I'm on the leading edge of the Boom (born in 1946), and I agree with you. I don't want big, I want quality. A 23 footer is perfect, if it is built right, and doesn't require a trip to a dealer or Airstream within 6 months of purchase to correct things that should have been right in the first place. And the younger generations feel the same way.

Pat

pdavitt is online now   Reply With Quote