Old 01-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #15
TXGal

2018 23' International
El Paso , Texas
We first bought a 19’ Bambi , International. We wanted to try and make due with the smallest we thought we could still find comfortable. We are two small adults and really thought we could live with a full size bed. Not so much. I also thought the the bathroom sink on the outside would not be a big deal, but did not really dig hair flying all over instead of it being contained to the bathroom area. And let’s talk about the toilet. Your knees basically hit the door when closed. And we are short adults. Very tight quarters! A year later, we traded it in for the 23’ International FB (still wanting to stay relatively small). The things that make a big difference to us are.....the queen bed, the sink in bathroom, the toilet placement, more storage space, a little more counter space, oven & micro, and tandem axles. The single axle makes for a very bumpy ride, which is more wear and tear on trailer.

TXGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Glad you added FB to that 23, the bath/bedroom in our 19cb is the tough part for us and with the 23d the same I have trouble concidering that trailer an option that might span our two trailers. People seem to like that trailer but being athletic and nimble are requirements.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #17
TXGal

2018 23' International
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Glad you added FB to that 23, the bath/bedroom in our 19cb is the tough part for us and with the 23d the same I have trouble concidering that trailer an option that might span our two trailers. People seem to like that trailer but being athletic and nimble are requirements.
We would not have bought a 23 without the FB option. At the moment, we mostly go on camping trips with our AS for long weekends about once a month. We have a pretty long camping season where we live. We can usually go March-Nov. We will take an extended amount of time/vacation once a year. If we were traveling more, we would have probably jumped up to the 25’. We def want to keep our options open to be able to camp in areas where they don’t allow anything too big.
TXGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
We started with a 31’ and wanted something smaller to get into National Park and National Forest campgrounds. We bought a 66 Tradewind and love it. We have had it for 8 years and have done extensive renovations and made many improvements- axles, disc brakes, lithium batteries, 2,000 watt inverter, solar, etc. I will never sell this trailer.

I have always wanted a 34’. 10% longer and heavier than a 31’ but 50% more tires and braking. We bought one 5 years ago and it is on the back burner. Extensive interior redesign is my plan along with disc brakes and other improvements. It will make a great trailer to wonder around Florida in the winter time after my wife retires. My wife thinks I am nuts. That’s ok, she is probably correct.

Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	613.3 KB
ID:	330970
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe View Post
I have a 25 foot flying cloud with twins that I/we enjoy. Most of our travel is on caravans. Lately I have been thinking about buying a 20ft Bambi thinking we might be motivated to do more airstreaming camping and of a different nature. I wonder if others have done something similar and what you have experienced in their travel habits?

Crazy but curious?

Nick
Going from 25' to 20' will involve a considerable shift in almost all parameters.

If, by using the pronoun "we," you mean that there are two of you, I would suggest that you spend some time [hours] in a 20' and "act out" the following issues:
-- sleeping [both hot and cold weather]
-- "safe space" for personal use away from the other person
-- cooking
-- storage
-- entertaining at rallies
-- pets, children, grandchildren etc.
-- lounging on the couch [as in "none"]
-- doing all of the above at the same time in rainy dreary weather

In the 20' there are serious compromises in every category above. We went from a 25' to a 20' but our lifestyle shifted first, and the shorter unit works well.

Eyes wide open . . . that's all.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Practical considerations:
-- one axle risk of damage with blowout
-- much smaller tanks
-- etc

PS2 -- Per other comments, consider the 23FB model as a better compromise? We went down to 20' mainly for the corner kitchen with twin sinks and a gas stove. Nice!
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:55 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Pearl , Alaska
We love our Bambi Sport 16...
Only takes up two diagonal parking spaces...
such as Wal Mart...Can maneuver in fast food parking lots...
Parking on most city streets...we moved up to a Bambi from a t@b ,and feel we made a wise decision by starting small and moving up instead of the typical trend of buying too much at the beginning ...
We have a 2016 F150 Supercrew with tonneau cover .
We love the ability to detach for day trips and dinner dates...
Everything we want in a RV...
Deltaboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
So I've restored to vintage Serro Scotty's (12ft) we've then upgraded to 2018 31FC Bunk last year, I still have the 1961 Scotty only because it was a rare model, and use it for the short-quick weekend trips occasionally. Primarily got the Bunk because of the 5yr old and the scotty only sleeps 2. But like you there are a lot of national parks I would like to hit up when I retire and seeing how some have 25' trailer limitations I feel that same dilemma is going to hit me about needing a 19-25ft AS someday.
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Depending on where you want to go with a smaller trailer you might also consider a truck camper. We have a 31' Sovereign that works well if we're taking the kids with us, but they're all in their 20s now so it's getting less likely that we'll need the space. We're renovating an Avion truck camper for traveling solo or just the two of us. Truck campers also allow you to go places which would be a challenge for even a small trailer.
If you don't already have a suitable truck that might not be an option, but just thought I'd put it out there.
An excellent resource for truck campers is Truck Camper Magazine.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:27 AM   #23
Nice guy

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Asheville , North Carolina
Wow..thank you so much for all your ideas, suggestions and advice. Much to think about as we process this input. Keep’em coming.
������ Nick
ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #24
Jo3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Lanier Area , North Georgia
We purchased the Tab 400 and have enjoyed it for 1 1/2 years (2 summers). We liked the extra prep area over the Bambi and larger bathroom in the Tab 400. Larger fresh water, black and grey water. Closet, 200 watts. My husband likes the star gazer windows and is the one to sleep on that side. We have traveled to Glacier NP , Canada last summer and Maine this year from GA. Also Florida twice, North Carolina coast. It’s easy to tow and dry camp. While we are traveling all over the US we are keeping this until we end up wanting to stay places longer than a week. It was tight having 2 little grandchildren with us last year; but great for the two of us.
I am keeping in mind comments of the various Airstreams for if we need a larger one in the future.
Jo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #25
Nice guy

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
This is very interesting and I will check out further after going on their web site. Would enjoy talking further with you about your experience.
Nick
Old 01-08-2019, 04:30 PM   #26
Jo3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Lanier Area , North Georgia
Ashe, be sure to look up the Tab 400 from NuCamp. (not just Tab which are the smaller and less headroom). It is the one where my 6’1 husband can stand up in and not bump his head. I also like the open window aspect where the burners are; therefore no food odors lingering in camper. I keep looking for this layout in the various Airstreams.
Jo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:21 AM   #27
Nice guy

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Very interesting

I have checked the 400 out on website and it looks quite interesting. There is a dealer in Tennessee that handles them and Airstreams. Think we might take a ride and check out in person.
How does it handle sway wise while towing being one axle? How was your buying experience?
Appreciate you bringing this to my attention. If you prefer phone call, here is my number.
828-450-0714
Nick
Old 01-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
The TAB 400 is a huge move down from a 25’ IMO.

https://nucamprv.com/tab-camper/tab-teardrop-camper/

From our old 25’ we went down to the FC20 for its dry bath shower and great galley. See detailed comments in Post #19.

Peter

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote