Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-01-2018, 03:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Also keep in mind that Airstream calls out trailer length from the back bumper to the center of the hitch ball. Most "Some other Brand" (SOB) trailers measure length of the body only. You can figure a 27 foot Airstream clocks in at only about 24 foot if it was an SOB...the A frame is about three feet long.

I bet the park restrictions are based on BODY length...

No wonder my AS feels a bit short inside...needs the TARDIS modification, I guess.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 AM   #42
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
27FB vs. 25FB for 2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 11yr)

Except for one thing: the 27FB is actually 28’ long, bumper to tongue. In effect, same length as the 28RB model. Also check the spec on the alleged 25’ model. More than 25 feet!

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSHinFL View Post
What are the advantages of a FB vs RB configuration? More storage, better balance??? I have a 2016 F150 2.7 EcoBoost with the tow package. Any thoughts about pulling a 27' with that?
We bought our newer rig early last summer and looked at the same models you are considering. We had a 22 sport before that, so had a pretty good idea of how much stuff and people room we needed. Major reason for wanting a larger unit was the total inability of the 22 to sleep 4 adults. Secondary reason was wanting better water capacity for national park camping. Third reason was wanting a larger unit long term for retirement trips in the future.

The 25 rear twin has the best outside storage without a doubt. There is a full locker across that entire back that is very large, and easy to get to since it's right above the bumper. Add 3 more side storage areas, and that is a whole lot of exterior storage. Of course the interior that will work best should be your deciding factor, but be sure to look very closely at how the different units have different outside storage.

On the inside, for the 25s, the rear bed gets a much nicer bathroom, as the toilet leg room is much better. Also a window (non operable) in the toilet room lets you use without turning on the light, which makes using in the middle of the night easier without having to switch on the light (these units have a 3 inch or so gap above the bathroom doors for air circulation. Turning on the light, even if the door is closed, will be noticeable in the dark.)

You give up some sofa length by getting the larger bathroom, so that is the biggest trade off between the FB and RB on the 25.

We chose the 25 because we do a lot of national park camping and did feel that a longer unit would limit our ability to find options there. Those are tight campsites for the most part. At least where we have been (Yellowstone and Tetons). For commercial RV parks, and most state parks around here it would make no difference between 25,26,27. There may be fewer 50 amp sites, but most commercial sites seem to have it all. The preponderance of RVs sold where we live are all huge 5th wheels with slides.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:16 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
We just went through the same process, looking at a 25’s and 27’s. The extra space in the bedroom of the 27 is significant. After looking st them all, we ordered a 28 Serenity, for the separate couch and dinette.
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #45
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Find a dealer who has the trailers you are shopping for and go spend a bunch of time in them. If you are there for less than a day, you aren't spending enough time. There are a bunch of floor plans in the vicinity of 27'. There is no way at all you can figure out "what's best" from floor plans.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
I personally don't think you can go wrong with any of the 25, 27, or 28 models. They're all in the sweet spot. With the bias for 27/28 for longer trips or full timing , or the 25 for shorter camping trips. Shorter length for tighter parks.

I personally find that the tow vehicle makes a bigger difference in maneuvering for tighter parks with my 27FB. I've been able to squeeze into spots where no TT prior has been able to because of badly setup curb angles and trees. Recently a ranger stopped by the following morning asking how the heck I got in a specific site, as no one has ever made it in. It was a mix-up of the reservation clerk off-site, assigning me an on paper RV spot, that the local rangers know couldn't work due to a recent road remodel. The ranger himself was a big rig driver and has watched countless other drivers try to get into the spot without success. It was certainly tight and took a few tries, but I got in there just fine. Credit my short wheelbase Land Cruiser (LX570). Perhaps something else to consider if your priority is tighter parks, to avoid long wheelbase TVs.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 07:11 AM   #47
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you *really* are serious about tight places, go with a 19'. That and a 28 (or 30) will cover the bases pretty well.

When we are out and about, I do go looking at various parts of the campgrounds. There are indeed sites (and even sections) that are targeted at pop-ups. If you want to fit into that part of the area, you need something < 20' long.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:27 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
We bought our newer rig early last summer and looked at the same models you are considering. We had a 22 sport before that, so had a pretty good idea of how much stuff and people room we needed. Major reason for wanting a larger unit was the total inability of the 22 to sleep 4 adults. Secondary reason was wanting better water capacity for national park camping. Third reason was wanting a larger unit long term for retirement trips in the future.

The 25 rear twin has the best outside storage without a doubt. There is a full locker across that entire back that is very large, and easy to get to since it's right above the bumper. Add 3 more side storage areas, and that is a whole lot of exterior storage. Of course the interior that will work best should be your deciding factor, but be sure to look very closely at how the different units have different outside storage.

On the inside, for the 25s, the rear bed gets a much nicer bathroom, as the toilet leg room is much better. Also a window (non operable) in the toilet room lets you use without turning on the light, which makes using in the middle of the night easier without having to switch on the light (these units have a 3 inch or so gap above the bathroom doors for air circulation. Turning on the light, even if the door is closed, will be noticeable in the dark.)

You give up some sofa length by getting the larger bathroom, so that is the biggest trade off between the FB and RB on the 25.

We chose the 25 because we do a lot of national park camping and did feel that a longer unit would limit our ability to find options there. Those are tight campsites for the most part. At least where we have been (Yellowstone and Tetons). For commercial RV parks, and most state parks around here it would make no difference between 25,26,27. There may be fewer 50 amp sites, but most commercial sites seem to have it all. The preponderance of RVs sold where we live are all huge 5th wheels with slides.
I agree with all the above. There are another couple of advantages to the twin BR model--more sleeping space in length and width. You gain another 4" in width, and they are much longer. I do a lot of camping/fishing with my 2 6' 5" grandsons. Sleeping with them is not an option.

Most of the National Park campgrounds are old. They were laid out for mostly tent and fold out campers. Even with a 25' things can get very tight. We did a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway last summer. The NP campgrounds were so tight that we had trouble fitting in our 25'.

If I were going for the queen bed model I would opt for the 27'. The bed on the longitude axis is much better than on the cross axis. I would not want to deal with that. My opinion only. YMMV.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 09:19 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI the OP has found a 27FB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhbdvm View Post
We had decided to get the 27FB twin and then found a great deal on a used 27FB twin in Atlanta which only helped us pull the trigger. Looking forward to our next trip. Now I have to decide whether or not to get a new tow vehicle.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:01 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

Millville , New Jersey
What about differences between front bedroom and rear bedroom models? I’ve been looking at and leaning towards the 28 because I like the floor plan, but understand the primary difference between the 27 and 28 is where the bedroom is located.
esloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:43 PM   #51
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by esloser View Post
What about differences between front bedroom and rear bedroom models? I’ve been looking at and leaning towards the 28 because I like the floor plan, but understand the primary difference between the 27 and 28 is where the bedroom is located.

Exactly right. Check the specs, the 27FB is actually one inch longer than the 28RB. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Piggy Bank has given a spot-on description of the RB/FB differences in the 25' model. The only thing omitted is that the RB refrigerator requires a fan for ventilation while the FB model does not. Minor, perhaps, but something else to make noise, use battery and to fail.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob662 View Post
Piggy Bank has given a spot-on description of the RB/FB differences in the 25' model. The only thing omitted is that the RB refrigerator requires a fan for ventilation while the FB model does not. Minor, perhaps, but something else to make noise, use battery and to fail.
As a general rule AS gives you access to space from either the inside or the outside. A unit that has more outside storage will have less inside storage. There’s no free lunch. Some people will have more need for one or the other.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote