Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Airstream Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
27/28 or 30 footer better for national Parks camping

Looking at buying a nice 27/28 or 30 ft but wanted to make sure which size would be better for the NP campgrounds especially out west.

I had read on another forum in some parks it hard to get a 30 footer around and other have said it possible you have to be careful and go slow.

just looking for more input on length.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Waukee , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
Looking at buying a nice 27/28 or 30 ft but wanted to make sure which size would be better for the NP campgrounds especially out west.

I had read on another forum in some parks it hard to get a 30 footer around and other have said it possible you have to be careful and go slow.

just looking for more input on length.
Another thing is the availability of spots for longer trailers is often slim in NP campgrounds. Even parking your tow vehicle can be a bit of a challenge. In a campground of 100 sites you might have just a handful that can fit a 30'. Those will all be occupied. Until 2040.

We failed to get our 28' into a couple in Colorado but, in hindsight, they were packed campgrounds anyway and really actually quite awful.

In those cases we generally stayed at a nearby state park (generally better) or enjoyed some National Forest boondocking.

If NP campgrounds are the thing, go as small as possible. Good use case for an Interstate.
streamer_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
27/28 or 30 footer

Hi Carl,
We took our 28' Flying Cloud out to Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, and the Big Horn Mountains this past summer. We encountered some tight camp sites, but mostly at private campgrounds where the goal was to pack as many campers in as possible. There are some nice campgrounds other than the national parks to consider also, the National Forest campgrounds such as, Tie Flume, in the Big Horn Mountains and Buffalo Bill State Park in Cody, WY. We also spent the night one night in the Powell, WY city park. Each of these campgrounds had large sites that were not a problem for a 28 or 30 footer.

Buy what you think you will enjoy camping in the most, and you will find sites to accommodate.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Most national forests and parks in the west have websites that will have detailed campground maps along with info as to how many sites there are and the max length. As mentioned on an earlier thread, boondocking is no longer allowed in certain national forests due to over use.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Out west smaller is better for the National Parks, and even the 28' will encounter some limitations. Don't know how sensitive you are to the "qualities" of campsites, but more sites available means more choice of "better" sites.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Like most issues, there is no pat answer for the OP's question. Some NP campgrounds have small and difficult camp spaces (many in Glacier NP are that way, but not all) and some have room for most any rig. Same with forest service campgorunds, some are fine for large rigs, some are very difficult. Smaller, that is under 20', is always the rig which will give you the most options for camp ground space, but I certainly would not make my trailer decision on that basis. Buy the trailer which fits your space needs, then find the campgrounds which will accommodate it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
With respect to the 27/28 vs. 30 foot decision, sure the smaller the trailer the more places you will fit (at the extreme, a tent will get you in everywhere.) On the other hand there really is not that much difference between the 27/28 and 30 foot trailers when it comes to fitting into a campsite so I would lean towards getting the trailer that fits your needs and let the campground situation sort itself out. You will not find yourself "shut out" of NP sites with a 30 foot trailer.

Another thing to consider is your tow vehicle, all things being even, a shorter wheelbase tow vehicle will be easier to maneuver than will a longer wheelbase tow vehicle. We tow with a 3/4 ton, crew cab (four doors) with an 8 foot bed, it's a monster and makes backing up in tight spots more challenging. If we were concerned about maneuverability, a short bed truck or SUV would make a big difference.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
In Yellowstone, there are plenty of campsites that will accept a 30' unit. The problem, especially this coming Summer, will be getting one.

Make reservations as early as you can for Bridge Bay, Madison, Grant or Canyon. If you have to have hook-ups, then make reservations at Fishing Bridge ASAP.

There are many "first come, first served" sites but, if last year is any indication, I expect every site to be filled by 11 am every day between mid-June and mid-August. With a 27 - 30' unit, you cannot get into Lewis Lake or Tower, but all of the other first come, first served campgrounds will have at least a few sites that you will fit into.

The National Forest Service has lots of campgrounds near each of YNP's gates. Some are reservable and some have electricity but usually no water/sewer/dump site.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think it depends on the degree to which you prefer state parks over commercial campgrounds.

If that is your primary choice, then I'd go with the shortest trailer that otherwise meets all your needs.

Having said that, we have moved u from 20ft to 27ft to 31ft and we certainly appreciate the extra space especially if camping for more than just a few days. We usuallu go for about seven weeks in winter and a couple of trips of 1-2 weeks during summer.

We probably camp 75% in commercial RV parks, and 25% in fed/state/prov/county parks, each have pros and cons and we enjoy both.

We have never had a problem getting into a state park or similar with our 31 footer, but I do generally check out the trailer park listings to see if they have limitations - there would indeed be some that we could not use, but we have always found a nearby alternative.

Brian.

PS: Our first trailer, a 20ft "Sprite," was so light that if we were assigned to a REALLY tight spot, we could just unhook the trailer and my wife and I could jockey it into the space by hand - that surprised more than a few fellow campers!

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Bob Martel covered the tow vehicle wheelbase/maneuverability relationship very well above. That has more to do with getting into tight spaces than length of trailer, and getting about when unhooked.

Think about both trailer and tow vehicle length, trailer length may not be the limiting factor. Get the Airstream you are most comfortable in, skimp on tow vehicle wheelbase.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1936 20' Clipper
Reno , Nevada
Small is Bigger in National Parks

I towed my 19 foot 1936 single axle in the past two summers between Grand Canyon, Zion, Glacier, YellowStone and other non NP areas. Due to our small size, we often got the absolute best spots in the parks. However, my daughter planned WAY ahead.
1936 restored AS
F-250 diesel
Reno Nevada
/Users/garyelrod/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2015/07/24/20150724-062439/9eeHYmFwQ6eHZW0XsCZT8A/image1.jpg
1936RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We went to all those place last summer and had a great time.

I started making reservations 6 months in advance, lots of people due a year so they can get a certain spot. There are always great spots and some not so great, so get on it now.

Remember its all fun.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:14 PM   #13

1995 34' Limited
San Jose , California
If you are visiting Crater Lake in Oregon the NF sites are very long. We have not been there since 2002 so as of today I would make reservations. We also do a lot of dry camping in the Sierra's near our home and if the sites are just long enough for our AS (34 foot) we reserve two sites one for the truck and one for the AS. jvmang
jvmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
We have never had a problem finding a place for a 30' trailer, but I do make reservation a head of time. A lot of parks that say 25' max, you can park a 30' trailer. At the Tetons where they do not take reservations there is a campsite out a ways you can get into and then about 11:00 move into the good ones.

I sure like my longer trailer.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 AM   #15
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Shouldn't Matter Too Much

If it were me, I would place a much higher priority on livability and overall preference vs. what trailer length is best for national parks.

We have a 27FB and do recall a park ranger once telling us that it was a great length since it was less than 30 feet. However, after 2 1/2 years of full timing in all types of campgrounds including lots of state parks and national parks, can't recall one time where the difference between a 28 and a 30 foot trailer would have mattered when parking the trailer.

I think the main thing you will notice is that on the reservation web sites, there are generally less available sites available as trailer length increases. The people that will have the real problem are the 40 foot plus RV's and Fifth Wheels which means the difference between 28 ft and 30 ft Airstream is most often a non factor.
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
When you think about it, Airstreams are often the smallest trailer in a NP campground. Most 5th wheels and conventional travel trailers you see in the parks are longer and wider due to their slide outs. Depending on the national park shorter trailers have the advantage in that it allows more campsite choices in such busy campgrounds, such as Many Glacier in Glacier NP which is first come first served. So get the floorpan that fits you the best.

We changed from a 17' Casita to a 25fb. We felt the 25 was the ideal compromise since we prefer federal and state campgrounds over commercial.

Kelvin
Old 01-03-2016, 08:57 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
My trailer has mysteriously shrunk from 31' to 30' (sometimes even 28') when I am making reservations. Never been a problem.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Depending on the national park shorter trailers have the advantage in that it allows more campsite choices in such busy campgrounds, such as Many Glacier in Glacier NP which is first come first served. So get the floorpan that fits you the best.

Kelvin
I see that a change is going to happen at Many Glacier in 2016. This from the GNP website:

"Half of the campsites at Many Glacier will also be available for advance reservations, starting the summer of 2016. The system is not set up yet to accept those requests. As soon as it is we will update this page. We expect to have a date to announce later this month".
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
That is a big change. I camped there in August 2011,2012. You have to get there by 8am typically to get a space. That mean't parking your rig in the Swiftcurrent parking lot and then walking around, looking at campsite labels to see if the date indicated they were leaving. But the rule was they had until 11am to decide to sign up again or leave. Often on these sites the occupants where still asleep and you had to move on. It was kinda stressful because there were other campers looking for sites. Many Glacier has to be the most popular campground at Glacier. The hiking from this campground is the best. There are a lot of trails that start from this location.

I hope many of the sites they choose for reservation are selected on the basis if they can accommodate an RV.

Kelvin
Old 01-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We were at the park last July and Many Glacier was just to stressful, it is almost you have to fight for a space, do not like that.

We stay on the West Glacier side for 7 day and had a good time, took day drives all around the park and you are close to Canada for a day trip.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote