Old 08-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
25' FB vs 27' FB...where is the 2 feet? :)

It appears that the FB floorplan is (may be?) the most popular current floorplan?? It does seem to offer a nice combination of features.

My question is for those that have either owned both or looked carefully at each...where does the extra length go?

I believe there is a nice wardrobe on the 27' that is either much larger or "extra" vs the 25' storeage...but what other living differances in "space" are created by the extra length??

Example...is the bathroom "roomier"?...etc.

Those that may have owned both...do you find the space benefits of the 27'...just a little nice...or really significant...and why?

Just a little Saturday AM exploration...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

BTW...just looked at a neighbor's Ford 8N tractor for sale...nicely restored...would be great to "mow" our filed, give grandkids rides and pull an AS around our driveway/parking . Same issue as with AS...no garage/shed to store it in...hmmm...maybe I should be planning a pole barn...TMR

Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
We looked at both but really wanted the walk around queen bed of the 27. I believe you get a bit more length in a few areas like the pantry and the eating area also.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

To oversimplify it, just call in an extra foot in the bedroom and an extra foot at the pantry and wardrobe.

The 25FB is an inch short of 26', and the 27FB is 28' on the dot. That other inch I'm not sure about.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
and not to beat a dead horse but the 28' is 1" shorter than the 27'
Old 08-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
To oversimplify it, just call in an extra foot in the bedroom and an extra foot at the pantry and wardrobe.
Brian
Thanks Brian...bathroom about equivalent? Doesn't the kitchen counter have a "longer" surface with the angled protion on the 27' vs I believe a 90 degree angle on the 25'. Do you think that is much different?

With all the miles you guys have travelled in your 25'...if you were to replace...what would your choice be???? Another 25'...a 27'...or some different floorplan?

BTW...thanks for the travel posts and pictures...while I can't seem to get to "owner" status...I do vicariously live your journeys Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

P.S. A few moose up here...but might be kind of difficult to find on on demand TMR...
Old 08-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I like that you get a few more bedroom options on the 27 FB because the bed is centered under the window. If you get the panoramic windows, you get a nightstand on each side. If you get a regular window, you get two more wardrobes. You don't get those options with a 25. On a 25, there is only one nightstand. The bathrooms seem to be the same size to me. I've only looked at them and I've never used them, so I could be wrong. The 27 seems to have a little more counter-space and a much nicer pantry. The pantry is like the one on our 23. It is wide enough to store our pots, pans, cutlery tray, etc. That is my absolute favourite feature.

Enjoy your search!

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
Tom - Brian is absolutely right.

There is about an extra foot in the bedroom. This allows the bed to be front to back instead of side to side. This allows a little more room for walking around the bed and simplifies making the bed a bit.

There is also about a foot more in the pantry and wardrobe section allowing a wider closet and pantry.

The sofa area and dinette are identical. Same fridge and range (or stove-top / convection M/W) are installed in both. On the 27, you can have a Microwave that is installed in the center section of the pantry. This allows you to have a microwave as well as a conventional oven without using up counter space.

I am pretty sure that the bath area and shower are identical on both.

When we were looking in 2007 and 2008, A/S used a double bowl rectangular sink in the 25 which resulted in a L shaped counter in the kitchen. The 27 had a lobster bowl sink with round front cabinet. This probably resulted in gaining less than a square foot of "floor", but it made that area of the trailer feel bigger to me. I think that A/S is using the lobster bowl sink on both models now. At least it looks that way on the floorplans that Airstream has posted on the website.

This thread - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f468...tch-47275.html - has a lot of the pluses and minuses of both models.

In the end, both have very loyal owners. I really like our unit for the extra room in the bedroom. Others appreciate the shorter towing length and lighter weight of the 25FB.

Good luck with your decision.

Wayne
Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #8

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Thanks Brian...bathroom about equivalent? Doesn't the kitchen counter have a "longer" surface with the angled protion on the 27' vs I believe a 90 degree angle on the 25'. Do you think that is much different?

With all the miles you guys have travelled in your 25'...if you were to replace...what would your choice be???? Another 25'...a 27'...or some different floorplan?

BTW...thanks for the travel posts and pictures...while I can't seem to get to "owner" status...I do vicariously live your journeys Tom R in Two Harbors, MN

P.S. A few moose up here...but might be kind of difficult to find on on demand TMR...
Tom,

Thanx for your kind words about Lucy's trip posts. We really enjoy doing those, even though Lucy has to bear her dirty laundry of tire, brake, and other mechanical mishaps.

To answer your question, I think that if we were to replace Lucy, it would be with another 25FB. We just topped 450 nights in Lucy, and have found that it works just perfect for us, especially since we have solved the microwave problem with SuEllyn's custom designed microwave/printer/Moose Tag packing cabinet. We looked long and hard at the 27FB when it first came out and almost made the jump. I think the main thing that stopped us was the kitchen sink. We just prefer the two separate bowls. The counter pop-up next to the sink on the 25FB gives you as much counter top space as the 27FB. We also felt that we didn't want to pull around two more feet of Airstream to get a bigger wardrobe in which we could put twice the clothing, most of which we never wear. The queen bed situation in the 27FB is nicer, but not so much so that it is worth the other trade offs.

As far as the Moose situation in Northern Minnesota, SuEllyn has thoroughly researched the Moose population there. We are in the planning stages of a trip to the Boundry Waters Canoe Area in pursuit of Mooses (the proper plural in the Moose world). We plan to kayak in that area and hopefully se a whole bunch of mooses. We probably will come in 2010.

I know that Two Harbors is over that way. How crowded does it get, and when do you think the best time of year would be to visit there? Also, do you have any campground recommendations. We are woosy campers and prefer five point hook ups, although we have been known to boondock if there is a chance that a Moose will come knock on the door.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Tom,

As far as the Moose situation in Northern Minnesota, SuEllyn has thoroughly researched the Moose population there. We are in the planning stages of a trip to the Boundry Waters Canoe Area in pursuit of Mooses (the proper plural in the Moose world). We plan to kayak in that area and hopefully se a whole bunch of mooses. We probably will come in 2010.

I know that Two Harbors is over that way. How crowded does it get, and when do you think the best time of year would be to visit there? Also, do you have any campground recommendations. We are woosy campers and prefer five point hook ups, although we have been known to boondock if there is a chance that a Moose will come knock on the door.

Brian
While we are located in rural Two Harbors, MN...my guess is that either the Ely area or Grand Marais area would be a "jumping off" point in a moose search. We are about 75-80 miles from each.

We have spotted moose on motorcycle rides around the northland...and had a yearling walk down the road in front of our vehicle as we left our driveway. I believe the current moose population is down a bit...likley best in the Boundary Waters as you mention.

You could probably camp in either Ely, Grand Marais or Two Harbors with full hookups...and I believe there are some very nice campsite in or near the Boundary Waters...but perhaps w/o hook ups. Maybe you excusion into the forest service type sites...while also spending time at the full hook up site perhaps a few miles further away.

Kayaking would be great...with or w/o moose encounters.

If you move your plans forward...keep us in mind. Would be pleased to "show you around" as a "local". Tom and Cathy...in Two Harbors
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:

We have spotted moose on motorcycle rides around the northland...
WOW I would have liked to have seen that!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
WOW I would have liked to have seen that!

All Right! Don't you have "spotted moose" in MI???

OH...I missed the part where they are "riding motorcycles"...I best review my use of language...Tom R
Old 08-22-2009, 05:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Yeah but... not on motorcycles... We are very grassroots...

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Quote:
We do about 60 nights a year in our '25. Two humans and two large dogs.

If we had it to do again we'd get another '25. We like the double sinks and the flip on the end of the counter. The bed is not an issue for us. One huge plus on the sideways bed is that I can reach the light switch with my toe. Pretty handy on a cold snuggly night.

At night I open the shirt closet next to the bed and use it as my nightstand.

The extra pantry and closet space we really don't need and we'd just fill it up with more poop.

Also the sideways bed puts your outdoor storage access door on the side of the trailer instead of behind the propane bottles and battery tray.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
A very real question regarding front bedroom vs rear bedroom is fire escape. If I understand it correctly, front bedroom you have to crawl over the propane tanks. Rear bedroom such as our 04 28 safari you fall out the back free and clear. If true, that makes my vote rear bedroom only. Seconds count and crawling over 2 30lb tanks of lp fuel in a fire is not the best plan.