Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2009, 02:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
 
2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 210
if fire safety is an issue, doesn't the FB have the stone guards over the front window also?
__________________

__________________
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
The FB's emergency escape window is in the bedroom on the street side of the trailer, and not on the front. Therefore, you would be nowhere near the LP tanks when exiting during an emergency.

Brian
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:17 PM   #17
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob34787 View Post
if fire safety is an issue, doesn't the FB have the stone guards over the front window also?
Not an issue since this is not the escape window.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 436
Images: 1
I stand corrected. Still, with my fear of propane from years in the business,it would makes me nervous with the tanks so close. I know the chances are slim, but 2 tanks with that potential in a deep sleep, I like having some distance.

I would like an all electric unit, generator in place of the tanks.
__________________
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
 
tksbaskets's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
The FB's emergency escape window is in the bedroom on the street side of the trailer, and not on the front. Therefore, you would be nowhere near the LP tanks when exiting during an emergency.

Brian
I kind of laughed when I was the 'emergency exit' designation on the window above our curb side twin bed. I suppose I could let a small dog or child escape but a full-sized adult??

Let's hope none of us ever had the opportunity to try it.
__________________
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #20
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,763
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I kind of laughed when I was the 'emergency exit' designation on the window above our curb side twin bed. I suppose I could let a small dog or child escape but a full-sized adult??

Let's hope none of us ever had the opportunity to try it.
Actually, the entire window frame pops out when activating the emergency exit window. This covers both the upper and lower glass sections. This makes the exit hole 28" x 28". This is the same width as the trailer door. I think that one should easily be able to get out an opening of this size.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
Brian selected the 25' for the same reasons we did. Also, the two bowl sink is a lot more practical. Roughly copying the SuEllen cabinet for a printer and the microwave perfected the 25 for us. The round sink used now is a classic case of form over function as I see it.

We saw a female moose on the Gunflint Trail several months ago—there are some campgrounds with electric and water hookups up that Trail, though the one we stopped at did not have a sewer, but it did have a dump station. The trip up there was worth it. The FS campground at the end of the Trail had water at the sites, but I don't think it had a dump station. The Gunflint Trail starts at Grand Marais. We liked GM better than Ely and canoeing is available at both, though Ely is a lot better known for it. There's a city owned campground with full hookups at GM, no wifi though. We found a hot spot in town. Wifi is hard to find at campgrounds in northern Minnesota.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
cosmotini's Avatar

 
1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,057
Images: 83
The round sink has form and function. It's large and deep. My biggest problem has been what to do with the cover when using the sink. There is nowhere practical to store it.
__________________
Dennis

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Fire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
I kind of laughed when I was the 'emergency exit' designation on the window above our curb side twin bed. I suppose I could let a small dog or child escape but a full-sized adult??

Let's hope none of us ever had the opportunity to try it.
WAIT. With twins you said the escape window was on the CURBSIDE? In my 2006, it's on the ROADSIDE... and with a QUEEN you don't just crawl out using the bed, you apparently have to swan dive from the end of the bed THROUGH the window. I recommended that Airstream move it from the Roadside to the Curbside... did they really do it on later models?

I'm sixty, not skinny, and vaguely arthritic... a swan dive? NO. I bought an extra BIG fire extinguisher which hangs on the bedroom closet door. I'll set it off and run like hell for the door. Another minor consideration; I leave one propane tank turned OFF all the time. BTW, I fulltime, so I'm perfectly able to find the door and the locks in absolute darkness. If you have kids, make a game of having the whole family do this with blindfolds on - it's a potential lifesaver!

Seriously, good protection for a fire - in a small trailer GET OUT FAST.

In a house, especially a multi-story one - make sure everyone who lives there has a practiced plan for getting out in a fire. Every year in our town alone, there is at least one 2 to 4 year old child whose body is found in a closet or under the bed in the aftermath of a fire. My firemen friends get tears in their eyes just thinking about it. Little children HIDE when they are afraid, but if they are taught exactly what to do, they will do it fearlessly - and make enough noise to get everyone else out too. Ask your local fire department to come to schools, churches, YMCA's and clubs to teach these skills.

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Gene's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini View Post
The round sink has form and function. It's large and deep. My biggest problem has been what to do with the cover when using the sink. There is nowhere practical to store it.
Dennis, to each his own. What we like about the double sinks is we use one to wash dishes, the other to let them dry on a rack that fits inside it perfectly, thus saving counter space. When traveling, bananas go on a towel on the drying rack—bananas don't travel well, so they get less beat up there. There's also the fold down/up shelf at the end of the sink peninsula for more counter space. I agree the double sinks could have been deeper. I think those covers have finger holes in them—couldn't you put a hook up on the wall to hang the cover?

Another benefit of the 25' is it was $4,000 less. But the bed arrangement was very tempting. It really was a hard choice between the two.

Gene
__________________
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 115
When we are using the sink, the cover goes one of two places --

On the stove top - Make SURE you don't leave it there when the oven is on though. Don't ask me how I know...

Stuck vertically in between the cushion on the bench and the wall under the TV.

As for washing dishes with the lobster bowl - We set a dish drainer on the stove top on top of a towel. Then we wash dishes and throw them in the drainer. When we are done with washing, we dump them back in the sink and rinse, putting them back in the drainer to dry. As long as you wash dishes pretty regularly, this procedure works fine with 3-4 people eating. More than that and we switch to paper plates ;-)

Wayne
__________________
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:00 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
 
casarodante's Avatar

 
2012 31' Classic
Visalia , California
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 480
Images: 29
I don't want to hijack this thread but I have a question about the 'emergency windows'. In our trailer it appears the ONLY differences between the emergency and standard window are a loop of screen spline to remove the screen easier, a warning label and red handels.

Is there any difference in the hardware that makes them different and easier to get out?
__________________
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
Visalia, CA (between Fresno & Bakersfield)
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: http://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: http://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,270
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Dennis, to each his own. What we like about the double sinks is we use one to wash dishes, the other to let them dry on a rack that fits inside it perfectly, thus saving counter space. When traveling, bananas go on a towel on the drying rack—bananas don't travel well, so they get less beat up there. There's also the fold down/up shelf at the end of the sink peninsula for more counter space. I agree the double sinks could have been deeper. I think those covers have finger holes in them—couldn't you put a hook up on the wall to hang the cover?

Another benefit of the 25' is it was $4,000 less. But the bed arrangement was very tempting. It really was a hard choice between the two.

Gene
Hi, like this? [pictures] We put our sink covers in our pantry, but now since we have the tub and dish rack, we leave the sink covers at home. Also we use the extension shelf to hold our trash can; It just clips on and can be removed in seconds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703 (Large).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	85997   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0789 (Large).JPG
Views:	64
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	85998  

__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
 
tksbaskets's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
WAIT. With twins you said the escape window was on the CURBSIDE? In my 2006, it's on the ROADSIDE... and with a QUEEN you don't just crawl out using the bed, you apparently have to swan dive from the end of the bed THROUGH the window. I recommended that Airstream move it from the Roadside to the Curbside... did they really do it on later models?

I'm sixty, not skinny, and vaguely arthritic... a swan dive? NO. I bought an extra BIG fire extinguisher which hangs on the bedroom closet door. I'll set it off and run like hell for the door. Another minor consideration; I leave one propane tank turned OFF all the time. BTW, I fulltime, so I'm perfectly able to find the door and the locks in absolute darkness. If you have kids, make a game of having the whole family do this with blindfolds on - it's a potential lifesaver!

Seriously, good protection for a fire - in a small trailer GET OUT FAST.

In a house, especially a multi-story one - make sure everyone who lives there has a practiced plan for getting out in a fire. Every year in our town alone, there is at least one 2 to 4 year old child whose body is found in a closet or under the bed in the aftermath of a fire. My firemen friends get tears in their eyes just thinking about it. Little children HIDE when they are afraid, but if they are taught exactly what to do, they will do it fearlessly - and make enough noise to get everyone else out too. Ask your local fire department to come to schools, churches, YMCA's and clubs to teach these skills.

Paula
Whoops - it is on the roadside. Perfect the swan dive....
__________________

__________________
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got my feet wet sr5bidder Trailer Values 4 07-20-2009 08:44 PM
7.6 feet and narrower turfclubroad Our Community 14 05-19-2009 10:18 AM
wanted 1986 to 1999 25' or 27' Excella Ron Davis 1993 Excella 1000 3 10-18-2004 08:15 PM
Safari 25' ss & CCD 25' - odor issues? darkStar Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 15 09-29-2003 02:28 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.