Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
'06 Bambi rear window and bath fan

Hi fellow Bambi owners. First of all I'd like to thank all of you for your support on the forum, it's really appreciated. As a new owner I'm constantly amazed (and I seldom use that over abused word) at how many of you are willing and able to help those of us new to the world of trailer ing and airstreams in particular.

That said, I'm wondering if anyone has convert the back window on their Bambi into a functional window and what that might entail?

I also have a bathroom fan to replace and I assume that has to be done from the outside. Any tips on doing that or should I have someone do it? I've done construction (plumbing, electrical, etc. but my biggest concern is sealing it properly.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Oops accidentally hit the send button

Laurie and I are preparing for our first big adventure from San Diego to Yellowstone, Tetons, Custer Battlefield and possibly the Badlands and or Mount Rushmore. Of course we want everything in order and have to admit that we are biting off a lot for our first trip but, we didn't buy it to sit in the driveway in it. I've been to that area in the past but not at the end of September and not with a trailer, so any suggestions are welcome. We bought a generator (Yamaha 2400) and, though I haven't tried it yet, I will post my findings once I get a chance to put to the test. Hope to see you on the road.
Thanks again,
Mark and Laurie
Markj55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Mark & Laurie... Congrats on your new baby!

That rear window is the "escape hatch" so it does not have the normal hardware for keeping it open. And as you have no doubt noticed the side of the window closes to the shower wall does not leave room for the normal hardware. We use a very low-tech, unelegant way of making use of the window...we prop it open from the outside with a small stick about 5" o r 6" long. We prop the lower end of the stick against the latch lever, so that if we have the window open and want to close it in the middle of the night, we can just move that lever causing the stick to fall out and the window closes. If you do this, don't use a stick so long that it will slam closed as it could break the glass. This had worked for us quite well. We find that if we open the side bed area window and the rear window over night we can get nice airflow.

I have not replaced the fan in the bathroom, but I think most of the job can be done from inside. You'd have to put on the top piece that closes and do the sealing from the outside. If you don't want to deal with it or don't feel capable enough, have someone else do it.

Have you realized yet that to turn on the bathroom light you must also turn on the vanity lights? This is not good if you have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night...you'll wake up your other half for sure. I don't know why they wired the bathroom light this way but it made us crazy. If you are replacing the fan it might be a perfect time to remedy that. I rewired the light by "stealing" electricity from the fan which is very close to the light. The fan is controlled with a button switch on the fan, so the wire providing power to the fan is hot all the time. If you splice the hot wire for the light (which is only "hot" when the vanity light is on) into the hot wire leading to the fan (splicing before the fan switch) you will then have power to he light all the time and you'll be able to control the bathroom light with the switch on the light all the time. It will be independent of the vanity light. It's made a world of difference for us.

Good luck and happy travels on your the Tetons and Yellowstone...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Streamliner

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Good call

Rich,Thanks for all of the responses to my past questions! We really appreciate it. As far as the rear window is concerned, I've done the exact same thing propping it open but in a more permanent fashion, for the night that is. I'll try your method.

As far as the fan goes, I think I can do it myself and I'll definitely rewire it at the same time, another great idea. By the way what was Airstream thinking with the "escape hatch" that's partially blocked by the bathroom? Kind of lame.
Markj55 is offline   Reply With Quote