Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Why So Many Keys?

Making my way down the checklist and now it's come to keys. We have 4 keys. None of them fit the storage compartment. Can't find the lock code to order a new key. If we have to call a locksmith to have a new tumbler put in, I am seriously considering having all the outer compartments keyed the same. And here's the rub... I have keys with apparently no locks to match. :/
Old 11-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Personally, I think that would be a great idea. One for the door, and one more for everything else.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Good question but call a dealer and he can tell you what key(s) you need.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My Bambi II came with 8 different keys. I am happy that my Safari only requires 4. It is all a matter of perspective.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Eight keys? How many locks can one little Bambi have?
Old 11-19-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
1&2 - door lock
3 - battery box
4 - water door
5 - coupler lock
6 - storage door
7 - ?
8 - ?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
All doors keyed alike is such a simple idea I wonder why Airstream didn't think of it? Except that they probably have all these locks, with keys attached, in one big bin, without sorting them, and they just install whichever one they grab first.

Since it would take a few minutes longer to select an entire set of locks that all take the same key, maybe Airstream could offer "keyed alike" as an extra-price option, but cheaper than the customer ordering a whole new set of locks after the fact?
Old 11-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The problem, both for the factory and for purchasers looking to retrofit, is that the various locks on Airstreams are specific to the RV industry. While a locksmith can rekey them, it is generally not possible to replace them with cores that will accept a single blank.

One of the main problems is that almost all the lock cylinders have a shutter to keep dust and rain out of the keyway. This isn't a standard feature on general-purpose commercial or industrial lock cylinders.

I was able to lower my key count by 1 by retrofitting a battery-compartment lock to the water door. I still need 4 keys.

campindaisy, it is possible that the lock is just stuck from disuse, corrosion, or dirt. You can try to clean it with compressed air or solvent, and then use some graphite to lubricate it. Don't use oil, it will create problems over the long term.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
campindaisy, it is possible that the lock is just stuck from disuse, corrosion, or dirt. You can try to clean it with compressed air or solvent, and then use some graphite to lubricate it. Don't use oil, it will create problems over the long term.
I've had good results using WD40 or gun oil (but not both at once) when I didn't have any graphite laying around. But graphite is better.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
1&2 - door lock
3 - battery box
4 - water door
5 - coupler lock
6 - storage door
7 - ?
8 - ?
Close but no cigar.
1. Door lock
2. Dead bolt
3. Mystery key
4. Water heater door
5. Storage compartment by rear bumper
6. Battery door
7. Hasp and lock attached to inside of sealed and non opening rear window, that was a strange one.
8. Coupler lock

There was also a ring of 10 keys in the paperwork folder, never have figured what they were for.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 11-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
los lunas , New Mexico
Keys

If there all keyed the same they get in front door and all compartments
bigjohnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
In our AS, if you raise the bed you can crawl into the storage area. Once there you can unscrew the nut holding the latch, remove the latch and open the storage door.

It is simple to take the tumbler out and bring to a Locksmith for retrofit.

Or, they can make a key to fit it...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Close but no cigar.
1. Door lock
2. Dead bolt
3. Mystery key
4. Water heater door
5. Storage compartment by rear bumper
6. Battery door
7. Hasp and lock attached to inside of sealed and non opening rear window, that was a strange one.
8. Coupler lock

There was also a ring of 10 keys in the paperwork folder, never have figured what they were for.
Correction, #4 was for the power/utility compartment. No lock on the water heater door.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Boerne , Texas
Thanks for the tips everyone. We did try WD-40 and Carborator cleaner. DH took one apart completely with no luck. None of our mystery keys fit.

After figuring that it will be about $200 for a complete new set of keys (knowing that I have to pay the locksmith to come to my location), we decided to put that off for now. Eventually, we will rekey them all to have one front door key, one deadbolt, and one for everything else.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Somewhere there is a list of the standard keys that Airstream used in their production over the years. I know I have a copy of it but can't locate it right now. It may be in the Airstream web site too. Someone here may be able to locate it, or have a copy.

At any rate, unless a compartment lock has been changed the keys are fairly standard and that would be a better solution than changing locks or drilling them out, or having a locksmith do the job.

This does not apply to the main door keys, only to the compartment keys.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I have 4 keys, 1- dead bolt ,1- door key,1- ALL exterior compartments and 1- for the domestic water. I received a pile of keys but several of the same one. I didn't have a key to match my battery compartments so I removed them and rekeyed then to match my storage door key.
I have keys now inside and outside incase I lose the ones I keep on my key ring.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Years ago I rekeyed a lock so that any key would turn it, couldn't tell by looking at it that the tumbler pins and springs were missing what by chance person would put in a key? A criminal set on stealing, a lock isn't going to stop him/her.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 01:17 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
All doors keyed alike is such a simple idea I wonder why Airstream didn't think of it? Except that they probably have all these locks, with keys attached, in one big bin, without sorting them, and they just install whichever one they grab first.

Since it would take a few minutes longer to select an entire set of locks that all take the same key, maybe Airstream could offer "keyed alike" as an extra-price option, but cheaper than the customer ordering a whole new set of locks after the fact?
Airstream DID think that all the exterior locks should be keyed the same , back when Airstream built Airstreams . Our 66 has two keys , one for the door and one that fits everything else.
It would cost the present maker of airstream brand a few bucks more per unit to do so today . But sad to say they are more interested in profit margins than customer satisfaction or durability
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I am a certified Locksmith. I think you are describing the telescoping lock for compartments. They were keyed the same and as long as it is functional and no one rekeyed it just order the precut key. Part # 001101. You can get it from Out of Doors Mart for $3.95. Oh and use WD40 in the lock and key mechanisms and nothing else. If that doesn't work take the lock out and walk it into a locksmith shop and it should be more like 20 bucks to make a key.
Rob
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our 2005 and 2012 Airstreams each had four different keys. One for the door handle, one for the deadbolt, one for the outside storage compartment, and one that opened the fresh water access door and the outside shower.

The 2015 has only three different keys. The door handle, the deadbolt, and one key now handles the outside storage compartments, the fresh water access, and the outside shower. This last key is a standard CH751 key that is used on most every RV made. This same key that came with the 2015 Flying Cloud opens all of the exterior access compartments on my Outfitter Truck Camper.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote