Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Barbara , California
Underneath storage possibilities?

Has anyone considered adding a relatively flat storage locker beneath their Airstream? I'm considering adding a tray-like space, 4-5 inches deep in the area aft of the spare tire and in front of the storage tanks, where there is currently a sewer hose storage tube. I'd like to store dog fencing (folded four foot by two foot sections).

Frankly, at the age of 65, I'm getting tired of having to lift the approximately 30 feet of steel fencing into the back of the pickup truck at each camp.

BTW, We have a 2011 27FB Flying Cloud, which we dearly love, but so wish there was extra storage space accessible from the outside. And yes, that one storage space in the front (behind the propane tanks) is a real pain to utilize to the fullest. But please don't suggest the twin bed version for us, thank you very much!)

David & Mary
dmslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure if there is enough space under these low riders, but it makes me wonder if the spare tire well would hold your fencing. The spare might be fastened in the pickup bed where (hopefully) you would not need it often. Of course the fencing weight would have to be considered wherever you carry it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Side storage, on the street-side exterior, might be a better bet. Fashion some hangers that you can loop over the bottom edge of the window openings, and just hang the fencing from the hangers, held down with bungee cords fastened at the bottom to hooks installed under the edge of the trailer. Some contractors carry ladders on the side of their vans that way; ought to work for fence panels as well.

Might not be as pretty, but it wouldn't reduce your ground clearance, and the fencing would be visible in your rearview mirror so you could see if it came loose. If it's about 30 feet of fencing, that's what, four 7˝-foot panels of welded wire fence? Should be enough room on the side of most trailers (or most pickup trucks, for that matter, unless you've got duals on the rear) to do something like that.

I'm sure other folks would have better ideas, but hopefully at least this idea will stir some creative juices.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Maybe leave the fencing at home and go with a electric dog collar?!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Side storage, on the street-side exterior, might be a better bet. Fashion some hangers that you can loop over the bottom edge of the window openings, and just hang the fencing from the hangers, held down with bungee cords fastened at the bottom to hooks installed under the edge of the trailer. Some contractors carry ladders on the side of their vans that way; ought to work for fence panels as well.

Might not be as pretty, but it wouldn't reduce your ground clearance, and the fencing would be visible in your rearview mirror so you could see if it came loose. If it's about 30 feet of fencing, that's what, four 7˝-foot panels of welded wire fence? Should be enough room on the side of most trailers (or most pickup trucks, for that matter, unless you've got duals on the rear) to do something like that.

I'm sure other folks would have better ideas, but hopefully at least this idea will stir some creative juices.
And when this bangs against the side of the trailer when you travel it'll do a wonderful job of customizing the side of the trailer. Wow!
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
And when this bangs against the side of the trailer when you travel it'll do a wonderful job of customizing the side of the trailer. Wow!
I'm sure there's a way to pad it. But that is a good point. Not as good an idea as I thought…
Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
We installed a 2" receiver on the front of our MH. This is for mounting a bike rack when we want to take them. Maybe this with a cargo carrier or custom rack would work for you. That way it can be taken off when driving the TV when not in camping mode. The dog fence will allow air flow to the radiator without restriction.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote