Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
One time leak

We were camped, middle of night a bad storm came threw with A lot of rain. Got up in the middle of the night during the storm to find very small leak coming from the ceiling in the bathroom. Overnight it only amounted to a couple tablespoons. I looked on top of AS when we got home, checked all rivets around that area and higher, no luck. Seals around vents seemed fine, they were also lower than leak.
It's been four months and many more rains but no leak has shown since then. Could this have been a fluke due to torrential rains that night or is it a future problem I should act on?
Old 06-02-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Well, it is safe to say that you have a leak. It may be the sort of leak that only shows up when the rain is coming down in buckets, or when the rain is traveling horizontally, but it is a leak.

Could you ignore it and go on about your business? Maybe, and it might never get any worse.

But, if peace of mind is what you crave, take it to an RV tech and ask them to do a positive pressure test. This is where they insert a high volume air mover into one of the vents or access hatches, and attempt to blow the trailer up like a ballon (hence the name "positive pressure"). They then wipe the exterior down with soapy water and wait to see bubbles.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Thought about it, my dealer is about 3hrs away in Gulfport and I know that they do this test. It's just a matter taking the time.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Worth diagnosing, as the leak may still be happening and getting the ceiling insulation wet, but not enough to drip through the ceiling and be observable. Insulation which repeatedly gets wet, without a chance to dry out thoroughly, produces mold and mildew inside the ceiling, especially in the South where high humidity is often the norm.

Not sure what your travel schedule is, but we always keep a couple of Dampp Chasers plugged in when we are on shore power. One lives under the bed, and another in the bath. These low wattage 120-volt units have been around for ages, and are used to keep pianos from absorbing too much moisture, and also to dry out closets and basements in old houses without A/C:

https://www.amazon.com/Dampp-Chaser-...s=dampp+chaser

Keeping these on during our winter storage (with shore power) really keeps the AS fresh and dry. They come in various lengths, and our local hardware store actually carries them. There are other brands also.

I would consider leaving a Dampp Chaser on under the leak you saw, especially when the trailer is stored. It will drive out hidden moisture, if any, from the insulation.

Good luck!

Peter

PS -- If are using your A/C that will also dry things out obviously.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Thx, I'll look at that. we've had a lot of rain this week so I have reason for concern.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You have a new trailer--just be sure to go after this while it is still under warranty!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #7
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
... we always keep a couple of Dampp Chasers plugged in when we are on shore power. One lives under the bed, and another in the bath. These low wattage 120-volt units have been around for ages, and are used to keep pianos from absorbing too much moisture, and also to dry out closets and basements in old houses without A/C:

https://www.amazon.com/Dampp-Chaser-...s=dampp+chaser

I would consider leaving a Dampp Chaser on under the leak you saw, especially when the trailer is stored. It will drive out hidden moisture, if any, from the insulation.
A Damp-Chaser is NOT a dehumidifier. It is a heating element that raises the ambient air temperature. The device appears to reduce the relative humidity and thus people think that it is acting as a dehumidifier. In reality the warmed air can hold more moisture than colder air and thus accounts for the reduction in %RH. Much better to get a real dehumidifier (which can also be a desiccant if you don't have power.)
Old 06-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
I'm going to try to set up an appointment at Gulfport to get their leak check done in a couple weeks as I'll be over that way with AS.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
. . .
The device appears to reduce the relative humidity . . .
. . .
That was my only point, as was fairly clear IMO. The Dampp Chasers work very well as low-wattage background devices which require no active management like a dehumidifier often does.

Just one tool in the tool chest . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote