Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Edmonton , Alberta
Need Help for '68 Safari rear access Panel/Door!

First of all let me say this community and its forums are spectacular!

Well done to all you pioneers in the brave land of Airstream!

I've taken the plunge and am now the overly excited owner of a '68 Safari! She needs some work- but from what I have read there is not one of us that is not in that boat.

my madden post/question pertains to the exterior (ever suspicious of my vanity). The 'ol girl is missing the rear access hatch/door/panel.

Being that she is the last year before the new generation I was curious if I could seek out any other models/years that would fit in my parts search for the rear hatch/panel/door?

I would prefer an "original" piece and am well aware of the reproduction companies out there.

any suggestions?

Forever indebted,

Roller

P.S.
I will be stringently photo-documenting my enevitably endless journey of restoration- thanks to all who have done the same before me. Your efforts have been extraordinarily helpfull to my purchase decision.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Andy at Inland RV has them, only place I know for a replacement unless you could find someone parting out a 68. Really check for water damage in the rear, with no hatch you may have extensive work to do.

68's are the best!

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Those parts are hard to come by, maybe Craigslist or Ebay. I would call Greg at Inland RV. Colin Hyde (in N.Y.) or Uwe at Area 63 (in CA.) have also been very helpful with advice and parts. Also make sure to check that hatch area. 45 years of bad seals around access points did a number on my rig.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Edmonton , Alberta
Thanks guys,

Inland was helpful and for anyone eles who is curious the rear access hatch is the same on '64, '65', and 68'- not '67.

As for leaks and rott... It's solid!

Starting work today any suggestions for my year/model to save some time and or money as far outside seals go please, please, please put your hard-earned knowledge forward!

I have a couple of leaky windows (found that out last night when we got our first rain of the year!) other than that she is sound. There was some "repair" work done around the vents (25 tubes of caulking) that is doing it's job but it just looks hokey.

Concerning the windows,

The PO has replaced all the windows with plexy glass/lexan and they are now cloudy (and two of them leaky!), Should I use the same material or is there a trade secret that I should know of?

Forever endebted,

Roller
Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyRoller View Post
Thanks guys,

Inland was helpful and for anyone eles who is curious the rear access hatch is the same on '64, '65', and 68'- not '67.

As for leaks and rott... It's solid!

Starting work today any suggestions for my year/model to save some time and or money as far outside seals go please, please, please put your hard-earned knowledge forward!

I have a couple of leaky windows (found that out last night when we got our first rain of the year!) other than that she is sound. There was some "repair" work done around the vents (25 tubes of caulking) that is doing it's job but it just looks hokey.

Concerning the windows,

The PO has replaced all the windows with plexy glass/lexan and they are now cloudy (and two of them leaky!), Should I use the same material or is there a trade secret that I should know of?

Forever endebted,

Roller
Replacement glass windows are available, that were made to Airstream specs.

Andy
Old 08-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Downers Grove , Illinois
Much to my dismay I recently lost the rear service panel on my 1968 Safari 22' and, as suggested in other forum threads, was the result of rear end separation which we are now in the process of getting fixed. Not cheap but it will be done right and coupled with a new axle she will be a much happier camper.

So we did order a replacement panel from Inland RV and I can say that overall I am satisfied with it but it is not a direct replacement for the original. I will forever be on the lookout for an original replacement.

During the same trip, the original window to the right of the entry door shattered. I also ordered replacement curved glass from Inland and am pleased with it. Read other forums threads and info on the web as the curvature is not exactly the same. Also the glass is a little thicker but with patience I was able to get the old glass out out of the original channels and the new glass in and I am very happy with the results. Do not put in plexiglass except as a temporary measure. It is the easy way out and diminishes the value of the trailer.

Tags
interchangeable parts, rear door, rear hatch