Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Hatch hinge material

I'm redoing my gaskets and cleaning all my doors and windows. Upon taking them apart to clean up, its apparent that two off my access hatch doors will not take the worn out hinge material that was on them before. It looks like they have been dropped a few too many times... AS no longer makes this hinge though. Any ideas from anyone on where I can get more?
It's the 'J' style extruded hinge material on the lower hatches that I am looking for. My coach is a '72 overlander.
Thanks
Todd

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
http://toddcreatedwood.blogspot.com/
TPdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPdrums View Post
I'm redoing my gaskets and cleaning all my doors and windows. Upon taking them apart to clean up, its apparent that two off my access hatch doors will not take the worn out hinge material that was on them before. It looks like they have been dropped a few too many times... AS no longer makes this hinge though. Any ideas from anyone on where I can get more?
It's the 'J' style extruded hinge material on the lower hatches that I am looking for. My coach is a '72 overlander.
Thanks
Todd
Takr the hinge off the door.

Get some 1 inch "piano" hinge material.

Install the first half of the hinge at the bottom of the door.

Then, place what was the top of the door, at the bottom, and then rivet the other half of the hinge in place, to the door frame.

Now the door will be hinged at the bottom, plus when you open that door, it simply swings downward, but stays attached to the trailer. Can't lose the door or run over it.

10 to 15 minute job.

Andy

Old 04-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
In case you'd like a picture of what this modification looks like (post #22): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...b-50967-2.html

Chris
Old 04-14-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
In case you'd like a picture of what this modification looks like (post #22): http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...b-50967-2.html

Chris
Yup, that's it.

Thanks Chris.

Andy
Old 04-15-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Thanks all, I'm aware of the piano hinge trick, but I am not interested in that as it looks a bit clunky. I like being able to remove them too. I was hoping for someone who may know of a place for buying used parts, or salvage yards to find the stock hinge...

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Try Colaw's Salvage yd in Missouri. They have Airstreams they are parting out, as well as some new parts for sale. Never been there but we just bought a new bathroom sink from them and it came in 2 days!

Kay
Old 04-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Mo Hill , California
Spoke with Colaw's, and boy was that a waste of time. They were full of themselves and totally unhelpful.

www.ToddCreatedWood.com
Old 04-24-2013, 08:14 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
TPDrums, I've got a similar problem. My doors were not well-treated by the PO. The part of the hinge attached to the doors are badly bent out of shape. If you come up with a replacement, please let us know. If not, I plan to take a shop at repairing these.

Aluminum is malleable if worked gently and patiently. I figure some bench vise and hammering should flatten out the flat part of the hinge (where the rivets attach it to the door). I'm then hoping I can figure out the radius of the curve on the portion that slides into the trailer-mounted half of the hinge, by trying various pieces of steel rod on an existing hinge in good condition. Then the plan would be to hammer (gently, patiently) the aluminum around a piece of rod.

Don't know if it will work or not, but would gladly accept any input or thoughts before I begin.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
TPDrums, I've got a similar problem. My doors were not well-treated by the PO. The part of the hinge attached to the doors are badly bent out of shape. If you come up with a replacement, please let us know. If not, I plan to take a shop at repairing these.

Aluminum is malleable if worked gently and patiently. I figure some bench vise and hammering should flatten out the flat part of the hinge (where the rivets attach it to the door). I'm then hoping I can figure out the radius of the curve on the portion that slides into the trailer-mounted half of the hinge, by trying various pieces of steel rod on an existing hinge in good condition. Then the plan would be to hammer (gently, patiently) the aluminum around a piece of rod.

Don't know if it will work or not, but would gladly accept any input or thoughts before I begin.
The fix is "don't".

Remove the hinge from the door.

Turn the door upside down and install a hew hinge at the bottom.

In that way, the door always stays attached to the trailer and you will never have another access door hinge problem again.

Many owners have already done that.

Also, you will not be able to leave the door behind, or run over it either.

Andy
Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Also Valrico, Fl
Suggest a rust proof hinge -aluminum or brass....
Old 01-31-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Mitzi View Post
Suggest a rust proof hinge -aluminum or brass....
Not brass. Brass and aluminum are pretty far apart on the galvanic scale, and galvanic action between the two will evenually cause the aluminum to corrode if the hinge is exposed to moisture.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote