Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Has anybody done this modification?

One aspect of the newer Airstreams that I really like are the sewer hose storage units mounted on the belly pan just aft of the wheels. If you're not familiar with what they look like they are simply a 7 ft length of 5 inch PVC pipe plugged on one end with a screw cap on the other. For sanitary reasons, I like the idea of keeping the sewer hose separate from my other hoses, extension cords, and other cables. This would also give you more room in the bumper storage area.

Has anybody done this mod to a vintage trailer?

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 AM   #2
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
These were mounted by the PO. I was told it was used to haul their flag poles. Access is only from the curb side on mine so I doubt they stored the sewer hoses. My flag pole was to long to fit in it. Need to get some that will. I just got my Sewer Solutions so am getting rid of all but one emergency slinky. Yipee!
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00806.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	83980  
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
It's a vintage feature . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
One aspect of the newer Airstreams that I really like are the sewer hose storage units mounted on the belly pan just aft of the wheels. If you're not familiar with what they look like they are simply a 7 ft length of 5 inch PVC pipe plugged on one end with a screw cap on the other. For sanitary reasons, I like the idea of keeping the sewer hose separate from my other hoses, extension cords, and other cables. This would also give you more room in the bumper storage area. Has anybody done this mod to a vintage trailer?
Hi Mike:

Yes, the factory did. These storage tubes were optional factory accessories on many vintage Airstreams of the Fifties and Sixties. They often were installed on trailers that had the "International" upgrade package, sometimes crossways near the axle(s) and sometimes lengthwise partially within the belly skin. Airstream undoubtedly got this idea for their "new" trailers from their older trailers. There's never much new under the sun.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
... I really like are the sewer hose storage units mounted on the belly pan just aft of the wheels....Has anybody done this mod to a vintage trailer?

Check out this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f219...ign-14737.html
Post #53
  • Sewer Hose Carrier. Since I raised the undercarriage a couple of inches there is plenty of room for a 4” plastic well casing section (stronger than regular PVC) mounted crossways just behind the black tank. Made mounts out of 1/8” X 1” aluminum strap and secured them to the frame. I used stainless steel hardware. Both end caps are held on with bungees.
Sewer Hose Carrier

Curb Side Detail

Driver Side Detail

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Mike:

Yes, the factory did. These storage tubes were optional factory accessories on many vintage Airstreams of the Fifties and Sixties. They often were installed on trailers that had the "International" upgrade package, sometimes crossways near the axle(s) and sometimes lengthwise partially within the belly skin. Airstream undoubtedly got this idea for their "new" trailers from their older trailers. There's never much new under the sun.
Well this only proves that you learn something new everyday. I can honestly say I've never seen a vintage trailer with this feature.

Nice job, 87!! Looks great.

4CU 1st VP

Old 07-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
My 1968 Ambassador had one on it when I got it. But then the hose was stored in the rear bumper, so thats where I have kept it.

I remove the hose holder when I put in the grey tank behind the rear axles.

I am going to redo my rear bumper, not sure how just yet, but may put a diamond plate square tube bumper on to store the hose in..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I've seen these on a bunch of rigs. One feature to design in would be a wider opening at the end. The problem is that many of these are designed to hold the hose, but not the fittings on the hose, so folks have to remove the fittings in order to store the hose.

Lynn
Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
I've seen these on a bunch of rigs. One feature to design in would be a wider opening at the end. The problem is that many of these are designed to hold the hose, but not the fittings on the hose, so folks have to remove the fittings in order to store the hose.
Lynn:

The mod below takes care of that (the trailer fitting, anyway).

The 18" or so connection you see on the street (driver) side termination is actually a slip-on type of a PVC union. The ID of the union is a bit over 4.5", so a 45 degree clear Camco type connector stores in the pipe storage along with the slinky. I leave the Thetford/Valterra crossover on the sewerage termination. The other end of the hose hase an EZ fitting on it which also fits into the storage PVC pipe. I have about a 3" slope on the PVC and a small hole drilled in the bottom of the curb side so any entrapped water drains while on the road.

Driver Side

Curb Side

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Sportsmen have been using that type of device for many years to store fishing rods.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
Lynn:

The mod below takes care of that (the trailer fitting, anyway).

The 18" or so connection you see on the street (driver) side termination is actually a slip-on type of a PVC union. The ID of the union is a bit over 4.5", so a 45 degree clear Camco type connector stores in the pipe storage along with the slinky. I leave the Thetford/Valterra crossover on the sewerage termination. The other end of the hose hase an EZ fitting on it which also fits into the storage PVC pipe. I have about a 3" slope on the PVC and a small hole drilled in the bottom of the curb side so any entrapped water drains while on the road.

Driver Side

Curb Side
Dennis,
Is that a coupler where your brackets screw into the tube or is it just a sleeve? I like that idea. It gives additional strength for the mount and allows a short screw to be inserted that will not protrude into the tube and snag the sewer hose. Also, did you make the brackets or did you buy them?

4CU 1st VP

Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Dennis,
Is that a coupler where your brackets screw into the tube or is it just a sleeve? I like that idea. It gives additional strength for the mount and allows a short screw to be inserted that will not protrude into the tube and snag the sewer hose. Also, did you make the brackets or did you buy them?
Mike:

The driver side is part of the slip-on compression union (larger ID) - the curb side is just a "shortie" coupler that I sanded the stop out of - you're right, it serves for additional strength and the screws do not penetrate the 4" PVC pipe and therefore do not snag anything.

Brackets are home made out of 1" X 1/8" Aluminum flat bar.

I'm contemplating mounting a piece of 6" PVC just to the rear of the 4". I have a collapsable alluminum step ladder (3" X 5" X 7' long when folded) that would travel well there.

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Old 07-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We have one installed just behind the aft axle. Definately more sanitary than trying to store hoses together.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I am planning to do the same, however, I need something larger than a 4" dia. pipe. I saw a 5" on an SOB recently so they are available. I have a Sewer Solution set up but carry a slinky 'just in case'. Once I can vacate the bumper storage there are many other 'things' that would be better stored in there. As for the pipe I am going to have removable caps on both ends. Stuff sometimes do get hung up in there.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Limited
pensacola , Florida
they have the exact factory one at out of doors mart even a picture of it
bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , California
Miscellaneous Parts
ABS trays available here
Greg
ZoomZoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Sarasota , Florida
Sewer solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirHeadsRus View Post
These were mounted by the PO. I was told it was used to haul their flag poles. Access is only from the curb side on mine so I doubt they stored the sewer hoses. My flag pole was to long to fit in it. Need to get some that will. I just got my Sewer Solutions so am getting rid of all but one emergency slinky. Yipee!
Joe
Hi - we are new to this and have begun a total restoration of a '56 Caravanner. We are putting in all new plumbing and tanks, etc.
Here's the question: What is a SEWER SOLUTION??
Thanks
LuckyLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
LuckyLindsy,
Google it and then hit the first response for a explanation (ad).
ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLindsy View Post
Hi - we are new to this and have begun a total restoration of a '56 Caravanner. We are putting in all new plumbing and tanks, etc.
Here's the question: What is a SEWER SOLUTION??
Thanks
LuckyLindsy,
You can find out what a Sewer Solution is on their web site...

Sewer Solution

Now you know.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Caravanner
Sarasota , Florida
Thanks

Thanks for the info....it looks great.
LuckyLindsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #20
Airstream Newbie

Currently Looking...
Torrance , California
One other question on this.. Would it not be a good idea to put a small vent in each end of the PVC lid to allow air to get in so things can dry out --? Just an idea.. I would think leaving 'wet' stuff in there for a long time might not be a good idea.. Perhaps there's a hole in there but I didn't notice one in the photos
Rick F is offline   Reply With Quote