Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Flag Box on new trailer?

I have a new trailer on order and have some questions about a flag box.
I don't intend to use a flag box for flags but I have other stuff that might fit in one( outside patio carpet, or a fold up ladder, but I'm not sure how much room is in the box.
What size are the boxes?

Where would you mount one on a new 27'FB? I heard that they used to mount them just aft of the entrance door on the rear bedroom models. But not sure where it needs to be attached on a FB model.

The factory does not put them on the new units on the line so I will have to get one thru my dealer and then install it myself or let my dealer install it.

Is a flag box a good option to have? Do they hold up OK under the trailer?

Any and all comments please! I need to make a decision and don't have any info on this item.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
The boxes are approximately 9 7/8" wide; 3 3/8" high and a bit over 6 feet deep. Although you could probably carry a patio rug in one don't know of any ladder that would fit. Have 2 on my 23' FB and they are mounted on the front just behind the spare tire and in front of the fresh water tank. They can be mounted anywhere under the trailer where there is room.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
_

. , .
had 2 put on, ON the line, but they've apparently stopped do that.

usually they come with the advice to BE careful weight wise (20 or 30 lbs?) with what goes INside them.

they need 2 b attached where the underbelly is NOT interrupted by tanks...

so typically forward of the axles.

here is a pic (post 9)..

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...tml#post190833

and some closer shots here (post 52)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...tml#post595835

any extra storage space carved into these trailers is useful...

rugs, brooms, zip dee pole, flag poles, folding table, fishing poles, kites, kayak paddles and so on...

no ladder but i did try this!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Great! Thanks for responding so quickly, I see a flag box in my future. Those boxes look really sturdy and the size seems perfect for under the belly to carry anything light that will fit in them. I always seem to have some stuff that I don't want to keep inside the trailer or in the back of the pickup and this box is the answer. Two boxes look twice as nice as one.
Now I have to fight the urge to get 2, I think I'm loosing to the urge already. Arrrrh!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I wouldn't put anything wet or dirty in them, such as a patio carpet, as it will be very difficult to clean out.

They also do not appear to built to contain anything heavy. They're great for flags, however.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks Pat,
I ended up only ordering one and will keep the weight/dirt issue in mind. I'm sure I'll get good use from it. They look like a nice design.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
What is the ticket for one box?
Woosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Where did you buy them?
pattonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
THINGS CHANGE:

Actually I cancelled the order for the flag box. Months have gone by since my original post and I have not bought the flag boxes.
Airstream sells them at their store in Jackson Center (JC). I was trying to save a trip to JC and just have it done at the factory but, the factory won't put them on the trailers.
The service shop in JC will install them, or they could just put the box(s) inside the trailer for delivery to the ordering dealer and I was just going to install it myself after delivery of the trailer.
Right now I can't remember what the price was but I'm thinking it was in the neighborhood of $135+ /box not installed.
Any dealer can order it for you, if they know what they are, mine did not have a clue what a flag box was or where it goes on the trailer, but after a call to JC they came up with a price and offered to install it. (NO Thanks)
Now that I've had the trailer since May and have used it a little, it needs some tweeking. I won't go back to the local dealer for repair work, so I plan on visiting JC and in the course of getting the warranty stuff looked at maybe I'll get my flag box during the visit.