Old 04-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
One Stop Service Center Door

David and Steve, Definitely call Colaws in Missouri or Cherokee RV Salvage in Colorado. There are many more parts places to check and these two and more can be found by typing Airstream into your browser. Then scroll down to Airstream Vintage Travel Trailer Link Library! Click on it and then scroll down to Parts Site.Click on their name and away you go! As an Example if you go to CherokeeRv Salvage site then click the Misc. Parts tab the very top item when it opens is Access/Cargo Doors. Read there discription of the many different sizes they have in stock, take a measurement of the opening for your missing door and give them a call! Hope this information helps you out. PM me if you have any more trouble locating one and I may have more info for you. Happy Trails, Ed

FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Nothing against Ed, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
David and Steve, Definitely call Colaws in Missouri or Cherokee RV Salvage in Colorado. ...
I hear Colaw Salvage mentioned a lot on this forum, and remember Tin Can Luv posting a bunch of pictures of various Airstreams on their lot, but has anyone gotten anything of significance from them vintage-wise?

I don't doubt that it could have happened, but I don't recall anyone posting any vintage finds from the place.

Just curious.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Talking

Look on both sides of the interstate after an Airstream rally. From the sounds of this thread, there should be a lot of them. You then could sell the extras on ebay.

I really am sorry for your mishap. Any good sheet metal shop can whip one out in a short time and there would be no shipping cost.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Sure they could, but does every machine shop carry all-clad aluminum?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
maybe not at Colaws but...

It only costs a phone call to find out. I do know from personal contact that the folks at Cherokee have lots and lots of Airstream parts... then too you could try these folks from another thread posted here:
wanderer1 vbmenu_register("postmenu_372694", true);
2 Rivet Member

Profile: 1986 Argosy
ocala, Florida Posts: 33

rv junkyard
Starflyte1,your looking for "Bobs used rv parts".It's in High springs,fl. About 15 miles nw from Gainesville.Heres the number 386-454-5733.Best to ask for Cheryl.She knows a guy in Alabama who also has some stream parts.

Hope this helps too! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
check out rvbasics.com you might find a place near you
Old 04-15-2007, 07:09 AM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Last time I was at Bob's, they had a 1965 Overlander there. It's been a year, but you never know.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Inland RV can be expensive. I would recommend eBay. Our Bambi II was missing a hatch door when we first purchased her. Our machinist neighbor made up a temporary door for us out of aluminum while we waited/searched on eBay. After two months, one finally came up which we won at 1/2 the price quoted by Inland. And it was an original door, not a repro. That was an important factor for us.
Inland RV "does not" provide "reproductions."

We "do" provide new, increased quality, and off the shelf delivery on almost every part we have for the older coaches.

Some folks don't mind shopping and waiting.

Other owners, when they have a problem with their Airstream, want it fixed "now" as long as the costs are reasonable.

We had a customer who lost a rear access door, who said he would look around for one on the highway. He figured that if he lost his, someone else might do the same thing.

After about 4 years, he gave up looking.

Any dealer of anything, must be supported by it's customers. If not, they will soon disappear.

Price is not ther only objective when buying parts, of any kind. Supporting that dealer ofr manufacture assures that they will usually be around when they may be needed again.

To bypass dealers because of the want to save a few bucks is ok, but then when those dealers are all gone, then the answer is simple. Forget it.

Be supportive of those that support you, your interests or hobbies. If not, they may not be around when you really need them. Supporting a dealer or supplier that has little to no overhead is ok. But, when the chips are down, the dealer that has the large overhead, usually means they carry plenty of parts and inventory, that the brand "X" dealer can never have in the first place. Those costs must be passed on.

Don't depend on Airstream to have parts for older trailers or motorhomes. They are rapidly reducing their inventory oif many older parts, and the latest round will be water, black and gray tanks. Many Airstream motorhome parts are no longer available. We strive to continue with many of those parts, at least the more frequently used items.

The more owners that use salvaged or e-bay parts, the less incentive any dealer will have to keep the supply of those parts available and on the shelf.

Common sense of supply and demand. Reduce the demand to a point low enough, and the supply will dry up. Then once more, Airstream gets blamed, for being inconsiderate of owners needs.

If price is the objective, then why in the world would someone become interested in an Airstream to start with?

And so it is.

Andy
Old 04-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Called Inland, The rear hatch is only $241.00 and that isn't as bad as the $400 I was told that I would end up paying from there.

If the shop can't fabricate one to replace what they lost, I will buy from Inland.

Steve
Old 04-21-2007, 12:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Called Inland, The rear hatch is only $241.00 and that isn't as bad as the $400 I was told that I would end up paying from there.

If the shop can't fabricate one to replace what they lost, I will buy from Inland.

Steve

Steve.

It's actually $240.00.

When you get a quote, make sure they guarantee that it will fit, that it is insulated, that it has a keyed T handle lock with two keys, that it has a lock stiffner plate built in, and that it has the proper gasket on three sides.

Then apples compare to apples.

It's interesting to note that some people, with intent, like to inflate or misquote our prices. ($400.00) Wonder why??? Hmmm.

Andy
Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Bergen , New York
Access Doors

I just had 3 access doors made for my Bambi II. They are beautiful. I had a bunch of other work done as well so I'm not sure the exact cost of each door but my total bill was $365. I was so impressed by the guys work that I told him I would be passing his name and number out to my fellow airstreamers. He said sure thing, just give him a call with the exact measurements. He used one of my beat up doors as a template. If you're interested I can try to get pics of mine up. I am extemely happy with the results. Give George Diehl a call at 585-356-5269 in Alexander, NY.
Best of luck,
Molly
Old 05-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiII'64
I just had 3 access doors made for my Bambi II. They are beautiful. I had a bunch of other work done as well so I'm not sure the exact cost of each door but my total bill was $365. I was so impressed by the guys work that I told him I would be passing his name and number out to my fellow airstreamers. He said sure thing, just give him a call with the exact measurements. He used one of my beat up doors as a template. If you're interested I can try to get pics of mine up. I am extemely happy with the results. Give George Diehl a call at 585-356-5269 in Alexander, NY.
Best of luck,
Molly
I would love to see photos of your replacement doors.

We lost a door on our Bambi II last year on the way home. We replaced it with another one I found on eBay but it was quite pricey.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:30 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Bergen , New York
Pictures of access doors coming soon

I'll be sure to get some pics this weekend and put them up.
Molly
Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiII'64
I'll be sure to get some pics this weekend and put them up.
Molly
Thanks!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1968, 1968 sovereign, sovereign