Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Can't open lid to service batteries on 2005 International

On my International, two batteries are located behind the propane tanks. There is a fairly simple latch that you turn to open the lid of the battery compartment to check water, etc. For some reason I can't seem to turn this latch and open the lid. It isn't rusted or frozen and I've spayed liquid silicone all around the latch thinking it may not be working internally.

Any help on how I might gain access to the batteries would be appreciated. I don't want to damage anything if possible. If memory serves me, the whole mechanism is held in place with a nut located on the underside of the lid.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
On my International, two batteries are located behind the propane tanks. There is a fairly simple latch that you turn to open the lid of the battery compartment to check water, etc. For some reason I can't seem to turn this latch and open the lid. It isn't rusted or frozen and I've spayed liquid silicone all around the latch thinking it may not be working internally.

Any help on how I might gain access to the batteries would be appreciated. I don't want to damage anything if possible. If memory serves me, the whole mechanism is held in place with a nut located on the underside of the lid.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
Hi, sounds like your battery box is the same as mine. If you can't turn the latch, and prying would for sure bend the door, I would drill out the pop rivets at the hinge to get the door off and then deal with the latch.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Hi Bob, sounds like a pretty good idea. I've never drilled out and replaced any rivets before. I'm currently traveling until the end of October so I guess the battery check will have to wait. Do you happen to know what size rivets and if they are available at, say, Ace Hardware? Thanks for your help.

John
Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Hi Bob, sounds like a pretty good idea. I've never drilled out and replaced any rivets before. I'm currently traveling until the end of October so I guess the battery check will have to wait. Do you happen to know what size rivets and if they are available at, say, Ace Hardware? Thanks for your help.

John
Hi, John. I don't know the size, but after you drill the head of the rivet off and push the rest through the hole, you will be able to check the size with a drill bit. I would think you could buy pop rivets from any good hardware store.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Bob, thanks again. Maybe I can fix it while I'm on the road. Just need a little luck.

John
Old 08-18-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
_

. , .
try pushing DOWN on the latch while turning.

if that doesn't work just wack/CRANK the latch, use pliers or a hammer as necessary.

U are correct the latch is secured with a larger THIN knut...

and IF you break the latch, they are a 5$ item to replace...

much much MUCH easier than drilling rivets and REplacing those rivets.

wack it, beat it, hit it, crank it, wiggle it...and so on.

do NOT B defeated by the latch, BE the latch...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2Air - I just don't want to risk damaging the lid by "wacking", "beating", "hitting", "cranking", etc. Removing the rivets seems a little extreme to replace a latch but with the simple tools I brought with me on the road it may be the lesser evil. I have tried pushing while turning, and pulling while turning, but the latch appears defective and unwilling to cooperate. Thanks for your help.

John
Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
_

. , .
did ya bring a hammer?

hint...

(all tools are hammers except chisels which r screwdrivers)

CLEARLY the wackit suggestion was a joke...

clearly.

but the lid is JUST a flat sheet of metal, it's not something special.

and the latch really is essentially pot metal, so go for it!

have u tried UNhitching and THEN turning the latch ?

also try squirtin wdfourty INTO the keyhole...

might save ya drillin and riveting n hammer'n

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Success! Thanks for the encouragement. With lots of WD-40 I managed to somehow turn the latch and open the lid to the battery compartment one time. Once I got it open I left it open while I worked on disassembling the latch. After getting it open it turned out the bearing inside the latch was very rusted on one side. It took lots of spray silicone and and about 30 minutes to clean and lubricate the ball bearing. I was able to re-assemble and reinstall the latch and it seems to be working like new.

Given the opportunity, I'd like to find a new bearing to replace the partially rusted one.

Thanks again for everyone's help and support.

John