Old 03-09-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
OK: Back to the door lock. Another question; Does it hold the door closed? If so, you could make a patch for the existing hole in the exterior door skin with the proper sized cutout for the lock assembly, which I don't think is a KT lock by the way. While it's somewhat different looking than the one on my '74 Argosy, because it has an inside plate. If it works I would keep it. I have attached a pic of the KT lock assembly; you will notice the lock cylinder is not in the same place and your whole assembly looks smaller, that may be why it doesn't fit the original hole. Is there any identifying info on the lock assembly? I'm sure there are a lot of people who would be interested in a suitable replacement for there KT assembly, because they cost more than $450.00.
I think the number 3247 would be a way to ID what you have on the Airstream Registry.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
Jim,

Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your "new" Airstream.

You might find the following link helpful. It's from VintageAirstreams.com and is a photo archive of 1962 Airstream Safaris. 62Safari

The original door had a door within a door, as others have pointed out. It also had a lock with a square escutcheon and round door knob, similar to the image below.

Good luck with your project.
Was it really this copper color? Our 62 TW has a copper colored lock almost identical to this - we were assuming it was some PO mod.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
1960 24' Tradewind
1961 16' Bambi
Oakland , California
Copper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsmit1 View Post
Was it really this copper color? Our 62 TW has a copper colored lock almost identical to this - we were assuming it was some PO mod.
The lock in the image should be silver. No?

We haven't seen a copper colored lock yet. We think you may be correct in your assumption.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vknight View Post
My wife and I bought our first Airstream last week, a 62 Safari. I'm attaching photos of the odd door latch situation. A prior owner has removed whatever was in the rectangular hole and installed a smaller flush-type latch that fits poorly. Apparently new holes had to be cut out of the door and door frame. The lock that was previously there measured 3 1/2" by 8", and was mounted in a 3 1/4" by 7 1/4" hole. Does anyone know what has happened here, and if so, what's the best way to fix or improve it
The trailer is either a 62 or 63, but with a entrance door from a 1974 and up.

From your photo's you should check out the axle, as it appears that the rubber rods have deteriorated.

Andy
Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
Many thanks to all

Since the replacement latch does work, I think I'll stay with it and figure out a patch for the surrounding gap. I'll have to get it re-keyed since I don't have a key.

How someone got a door of a different shape to fit a much earlier trailer is a mystery to me, but I'll take your word for it. One website that posts serial numbers suggests that the SN I have recorded from an old bill of sale belongs to a 63 rather than a 62 model. That seems to fit the photos I have seen and the interior layout.

I'm not sure what is meant by worn rubber rods at the axle, or how you can tell that from my photos, but I'll see if I can find a thread on that subject.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vknight View Post
Since the replacement latch does work, I think I'll stay with it and figure out a patch for the surrounding gap. I'll have to get it re-keyed since I don't have a key.

How someone got a door of a different shape to fit a much earlier trailer is a mystery to me, but I'll take your word for it. One website that posts serial numbers suggests that the SN I have recorded from an old bill of sale belongs to a 63 rather than a 62 model. That seems to fit the photos I have seen and the interior layout.

I'm not sure what is meant by worn rubber rods at the axle, or how you can tell that from my photos, but I'll see if I can find a thread on that subject.
There is an article in the Airstream Central section of this web site, that will help you. It's called the Dura-torque axle.

Andy
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Backup

There is a latch just like the one you have. It's on ebay and the guy wants $50.00 for it. Might be a good deal for a backup.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:53 PM   #22

1957 26' Overlander
Brighton , Michigan
Very interesting puzzle - was this conundrum solved?
What year trailer did the door come from?
I haven't purchased one yet but I have spent countless hours researching airstream trailers and studying images and I have not seen a nearly flat top door with a single central hinge on a '62 Safari.
Was this trailer misrepresented at point of sale?
What questions should I be asking when making my first purchase?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I finally figured this out. The trailer is indeed a 1962 Safari, as advertised, but with a much later door. Turns out that nearly the whole right side behind the louver window had been replaced, along with the door frame and a new door. That got rid of the ID plate, but fortunately there were paper records of the serial number.
Last summer we took the trailer on one last camping trip to the North Carolina mountains, then sold it to a nice young couple from Michigan. We originally bought that trailer for $2000, and spent a lot more than that getting it set up for the road. It looked good and handled well when we were done.