Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #21
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
It just seems odd to me that the 2 halves of this mechanism are different colors/materials. The black latch obviously wasn't meant to work this way, without some corresponding actuator on the other side of the door (like is the case when used as part of the cabinet latches.) Those things really make it seem like an afterthought/work-around, to me.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
With the black latch you open the slide in the screen and reach in to the latch and slide it back. When you close the door you just shove it shut and it latches. I also just pull the door open if my hands are full - but try not to do that anymore than possible. If you start out with the black latch it seems very natural.

That black latch was probably just very handy for a lot of things. On the 71 it holds the bumper hatch closed - the main door open - the screen to the door - the screen door closed and, until I changed the rock guard on the front window - two of them held that closed....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 AM   #23
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
With the black latch you open the slide in the screen and reach in to the latch and slide it back. When you close the door you just shove it shut and it latches. I also just pull the door open if my hands are full - but try not to do that anymore than possible. If you start out with the black latch it seems very natural.
it sounds awkward as heck. with the roller, you just pull it open; don't have to "try not to do that", because it doesn't seem inherently hazardous to the door/latch system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
That black latch was probably just very handy for a lot of things. On the 71 it holds the bumper hatch closed - the main door open - the screen to the door - the screen door closed and, until I changed the rock guard on the front window - two of them held that closed....
Right...I have them in all those places, too (except the screen door). Hence my theory. there were plenty of them around. "hmm....lets see if we can "make" this work, because its what we have on hand".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #24
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mopar John I ordered the roller catch (like Chuck & Twinkie have) and a new striker plate ( white plastic part like yours). I installed them yesterday and it works great. It holds the screen door shut tightly and takes a gentle pull to open it from outside. When the screen door is attached to the exterior door both doors open and close easily. If you really want a good fit order the same part and you'll be happy.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Our daughter's dog figured out that she could nudge our screen door open last summer. Thank goodness she's not a runner.

Now we just need to teach her how to open it from the outside!