Old 08-23-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master
1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Your Thoughts Please...

After Tony and I drove through Vail CO, and all of the surrounding areas we passed before and after, I can't help think that it would be such an adventure to move out there and open a 'shop' out of an airstream.

This would entail two airstreams, one to live in temprorarily until enough profit was made to sustain an apartment, and one for the shop. My idea for the shop would be something that Tony and I are good at... and have resources to assist us.

SO, would it really be possible to do this? Has anyone seen any 'shops' run out of airstreams? I don't think that some of my ideas are too off from a reality that would support the both of us, but, I don't know the first thing about what is available for living space. So, set the 'shop' idea aside, where would we park and live? Is is possible to sustain an airstream in harsh winters if you were living in it?

Just another crazy idea that I want to research, but thought I would look to you, the most inteligent audience, for any answers/suggestions....

Thanks for humoring me...

Ron ... now in Newport, Washington
[font=Impact][font=Arial Black]
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I think it would work if you had another structure of some sort to store inventory/parts for whatever shop you have in mind.

I personally think every so often of quitting my job and buying a marina to manage. My Overlander would appreciate the scenerary.

But then I wake up and remember the wife and two kids

Pursue your idea.

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
dude....the world is your oyster...go for it... just make sure you plan properly and give yourself an $$$$ pillow...
Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 26' Overlander
1967 26' Overlander
Lisle , Illinois
Not to be a kill joy, but........

Man I love the idea but, an Airstream may be a little too cramped to be a viable store. Maybe a store front. You know take an Airstream that is "too far gone" to put back on the road and use it as a gateway to your shop. Kind of like a dinner from the 50's with the streamlined trailer/rail car in the front and the rest of the dinner to the side and or back.

As for living in your Airstream in the cold climate....
How much do you really like Ron? It will be very cold and take a lot of LPG to keep the trailer warm, plus the close quarters.

You should really hook up with flamingo-kid1, she has her own shop and can give you a lot of insight as to the ins and outs.

I also want to pull up and settle out west, but I have the wife and three kids....
Tedd Ill
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
My thoughts on Lp

I would think that a spach heater would be easier... I have this killer portable radiator that heats up like you wouldn't believe... just more worried about the pipes, and tanks... and where I'm getting my electric and water from...LOL...

I have the craziest ideas, but I figure, once I sell my house, I won't have much extra cash, after paying off my bills, but now would be the time...right?!
Ron ... now in Newport, Washington
[font=Impact][font=Arial Black]
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 07:19 PM   #6
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Ron, there's a woman at the Phoenix Amtrak station who runs a canteen out of an old school bus. She has all kinds of souvenirs, consumables, and 'stuff' available. You might check to see if you can find out about her operation and see how viable it is.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Do whatever it takes. How many success stories of businesses starting out in buses, garages, trailers or tin huts. If it dosen't work out you can always go back to where you started and try something else.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You also need to look at local codes & ordinances...especially in Vail which has very strict 'aesthetic' codes to maintain that 'quaint european village atmosphere' that Vail is know for. My guess is that an Airstream shop wouldn't meet their criteria.

I would also question the viability of full-timing in below-freezing temps...there are a couple of good threads here on the forums that discuss the reality of winter living.

Do your homework...assess your business plan & risk...then go for it!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado

You are young and energetic - I say go for it - what have you got to lose? Now is the time in life to take those risks - as you get older you get less interested in taking "flyers". I've always kept in the back of my mind "leap the the net will be there".

I've done this myself - I moved to a small town in Colorado 22 years ago figuring I could hang out/ski/bike/play - and I'm still here doin it! My work is second priority to hanging out and biking these days - oh yeah and the airstream. Never got rich, but have been having a blast.

Do a bit of research and go for it.

1956 Flying Cloud
Founder :
Four Corners Unit
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
North Central , Texas
Many people work for a living, others live for working. It depends on what you like to do & if you can do it well enough to earn a sustainable income from it. The most overlooked statistic in a new business venture is the first years 'living' expenses, not just the business expenses. If you have enough in your 'nest-egg' go for it.

Good Luck, & BTW...can we get an A/S friends discount??
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If it's what you want to try, I say go for it. When my hubby started his business I kept working at a 'real' job until the business could support both of us. Now we have a house, the toys, and not a ton of extra money, but a lot more time to spend together living - I wouldn't trade it for the world! Find a way to make it work!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 12:04 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
What are you waiting for...

I sold everything and packed up and left the city and moved to an island...with my wife and then 1-year old son. I told my boss we needed a branch office there and I was just the guy to run it. He gave me 6 months to make it work. That was 6 years ago and I haven't regretted it for a moment. My parents both died by the age of 50. That taught me a valuable lesson... Live the life you want to live.

TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote