Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Your personal Airstream webpage

I know of several members here who have built excellent webpages outlining the incredible work they have done on their Airstreams (Hey Tim, Barry, and Shari - Are you listening? ) but the Individual's Sites link in the Links Directory in the left pane has painfully few listings.

Guests have been subjected to my so-so webpage as an alphabetical opener for too long! C'mon everyone! Let everyone else see your pride-of-the-campground chronicled here in the Forums!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
There are new entries to the Individual's Sites link.

After checking them out, be sure to add yours!

Tom
Old 03-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Wink

I didn't even know that feature existed til I read this thread. It took me to some very interesting and well done websites. I had been to a couple of the listed ones before and have a Favorites file for such that I call Airstream People.

I hope everyone here with a website that includes their Airstream will add their link at the feature Tom is touting. Also I hope when folks change their website carrier or server or whatever its called that they remember to fix the links.
I have always wondered why some defunct website URLs direct visitors forward to another location and (sadly) many dont.

Very disappointing when I revisit my favorite files (I try to hit each every 6 months or so) and some are now dead ends. Is there a way to cache them like Google does? Which makes me ask why not all of them are on Google or are they?
How do they get onto Google anyway?

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Post Need more entries, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
There are new entries to the Individual's Sites link.

After checking them out, be sure to add yours! ...
Well, I wish I hadn't offered now - Sneakinup is just plain kickin' butt!

I'm willing to bet others have great webpages too. How 'bout adding yours?

Tom
Old 07-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Is this for the links page? You know, I just dont get this website promotion thing.
I've been happy, since the community here has been really supportive--and I've got lots of hits (though honestly, we've taken the last month off from real work, though we're hitting the metal tommorrow). Plus, Balgrn linked to my blog, which has been great. But then again, I don't show any links when I check hits on google. Web gurus--what am I doing wrong?

If anyone offers advice, it's much appreciated! I hate being a cipher in the internet world!

Mary
Old 07-15-2005, 08:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Well, I have to admit that I can't understand one thing you all are talking about. Of course I got the "web site" thing, but that's about it. You know I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who doesn't have their own "blog", or who doesn't have a clue how to get one. Where do I go to see these things?
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Where do I go to see these things?
Click on the 'Links' tab at the top of this screen..

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:39 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Mark this request as done. Thanks for the reminder Tom. Reminds me that I need to do a little updating to my site.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Juel, give blogging a try!

Juel,

Blog is the nickname for "web log"--essentially, a diary you can keep on the internet. There are different ways you can do this, but the easiest way is to just use one of the free services like blogger.com. All you have to do is sign up for an account, choose a format style and start writing. Posting up photos on this is a little more complicated, but easy once you figure it out (pm me if you need help). The great thing about using Blogger is that you can have a place (or a couple of places) to write about anything you darn well wish to--without having to learn anything about internet design or html.

I hope you try opening your own--I know you have "jewels" to share (lol)--wisdom, tall tales, and creative expressions--stuff we'd all love to read!

My problem is getting it linked into web search engines, like Google. When I use google to check on how many sites link to my blog site, it says 0--even though I do know a few airstream related places (like the forum) link to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
Well, I have to admit that I can't understand one thing you all are talking about. Of course I got the "web site" thing, but that's about it. You know I sincerely hope I'm not the only one who doesn't have their own "blog", or who doesn't have a clue how to get one. Where do I go to see these things?
Old 07-16-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Thanks for the help. I intend to try these as soon as I get too hot and tired from putting the new floor in my Argosy to stay out any longer. We want to take this thing camping before the summer is over. You are supposed to get these trailers out of the yard aren't you?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:04 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
My problem is getting it linked into web search engines, like Google. When I use google to check on how many sites link to my blog site, it says 0...
Firefly, have you done this yet? Google Submission

I did this, and now get an average of 10-12 people a day on my blog. Part of that is that I rant about political stuff now and then, (whch then shows up in Google searches,) but Airstreamers find it too.

If you're wondering how I know how many people are visiting my site, that's easy as well... StatCounter lets you sign in and see who's visited, what browser they used, where they live, how long they were there, etc. And as long as you stay logged into StatCounter, it doesn't count your own visits!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Here's the new floor going down. Judy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	13377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	13378  

Old 07-18-2005, 09:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Great link, Brad. I hadn't realize you could submit to google!

Thanks,

Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Firefly, have you done this yet? Google Submission

I did this, and now get an average of 10-12 people a day on my blog. Part of that is that I rant about political stuff now and then, (whch then shows up in Google searches,) but Airstreamers find it too.