Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Your opinion needed, New 2008 or Slightly Used 2006

Decisions decisions...

choice #1: 2008 19' international signature series, ~40.5k (tv, 2 fans)

choice #2: 2006 19' international ccd, used only a few timed, blue streak interior ~32k (no tv, no warranty)

seems like the deal is better on the new one....but im thinking there may be room on the used one.

anyhow, would love to hear from the pros.
either option jumping out at you?
what are some considerations we may be missing?

thanks again! i'll owe you all a beer once i finally get a good airstream!
ericwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Did I hear beer? My advice is pick the one you like best and get it.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
If the 2008 has the full entertainment package (CD changer, sub woofer, etc.) then this is a $2500 factory option (or in that range) - something to consider. However, you can accomplish the same thing after market for considerably less.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Have you seen this in the Airforum Classifieds? Looks to be in your neighborhood, geographically.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Go with the gently used one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwarren View Post
Decisions decisions...

choice #1: 2008 19' international signature series, ~40.5k (tv, 2 fans)

choice #2: 2006 19' international ccd, used only a few timed, blue streak interior ~32k (no tv, no warranty)

seems like the deal is better on the new one....but im thinking there may be room on the used one.

anyhow, would love to hear from the pros.
either option jumping out at you?
what are some considerations we may be missing?

thanks again! i'll owe you all a beer once i finally get a good airstream!
Hi Eric and welcome to the fourms....

Not sure if you have kids or pets, but I have no kids and travel with the wife and 2 dogs.

I started with a new 19' CCD....then went to a new 28' Safari LS, then went to a new 27FB International Sig Series...

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get a used unit, as the possibility to outgrow it exists and/or seeing something you like bigger or better will always come along...

I can't tell you how much money I've wasted to figure out what I wanted in all "new" units...

PLUS - new units always have issues to work out... Used ones usually have the issues already fixed by the first owner... This alone saves you a HUGE pain in the butt...
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you can get the new one Dennis found for not much more than a used one, get that, but to me it's not worth the extra $8,000 or so to have a bed that's never been slept in, versus on that has been slept in maybe 6 times. That works out to something like $1200/night.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

thanks.....
saw the SE, only issue is it has the parque (spelling) floors that im not a big fan of.

the 2006 used 19' international has no fantastic fans...not sure if that is a huge issue. also old color schemes.

also, is 32k a fair price for an 06? seems a bit high. it is a consignment...so not sure how much negotiating can be done in this type of situation.

by the way, bandit, we have 2 dogs (but small ones) and a 9 month old girl. oh, i also saw your thread on your trip to OH, very neat "documentary".
Old 08-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwarren
the 2006 used 19' international has no fantastic fans...not sure if that is a huge issue. also old color schemes.
Fantastic Fans are a couple hundred dollars each, and maybe a hundred each to install them, for the really really good ones that open and close themselves, and close when it rains. You could get away with a single Fantastic in that configuration, I'd put it furthest from your bed, it would be quieter. It could pull air in from the other vent, or push it out.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Since you asked...

Buy niether and here's why. A whole lot of folks here started with a 16 or 19 footer. Then realized that the trailer was too small. A couple of trailers later and a whole lot of loot and they finally have what is comfortable and liveable.

Here's the best test to see if a particuler Airstream is right for you and your family. Everybody goes to the prospective trailer and gets in. Do you all fit?

Everybody lay down where you'll sleep. Do you fit and are you comfortable?

Everybody sit on the "Throne" can you close the door and do you have the room to do what needs to be done?

We bought a brand new 19 footer for two adults and a dog. One month later after horrible nights of sleep on a cramped bed and a bathroom you had to step out of to change your mind. We bought a new 25FB. Now we have comfort and happy.

Don't kid yourself that a trailer that doesn't meet the above criteria is O.K. If you are uncomfortable you just won't use it.

Good luck

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Now that is some really good advice from Goin Camping.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
First, if you're swimming in money and have everything else you want, then by all means, buy new, but it IS a depreciating item.

We recently bought a like-new, used 2006 rather than new and are enjoying the unit just the same. It didn't make sense to us to take that first couple years of depreciation hit. Something else to consider is, will you save sales tax on used? In Arizona there's no sales tax for private party sales. That's a substantial amount.

A unit two-years old, in my opinion, is like new and was probably maintained under factory warranty. We also bought a 2007, slightly used tow vehicle, still under warranty. Our whole rig looks brand new but is just 'almost' new and we saved a bundle.

Oh, and if there's two of you, make sure you can restfully sleep in a 48-inch corner bed. IMO, that's a very tight bed for two, but I guess the dinette could sleep a second person.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Now that is some really good advice from Goin Camping.
Hi, good advise comes from actual experiences.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Lady Lake , Florida
Call Patrick at Colonial AS in NJ. You may not have to pay the posted price, plus have many others from which to chose. Plus, their web site is great!

As for new or used, we traded one that was only 5 months old, truly like new. If we could find what we wanted, we would consider buying used, but right now I am dreaming about a 23' FB and there are few if any used ones available.
starflyte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:34 AM   #14
Colonial Airstream NJ
Airstream Dealer

1961 16' Bambi
1997 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Millstone Township , New Jersey
Eric,

The 2006 Airstream International CCD 19' Bambi has one fantastic fan in the galley and a regular roof vent in the bedroom. The 2008 Airstream International Signature Series 19' Bambi, has the standard Fantastic Fan in the galley and the optional Fantastic Fan in the bedroom.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
After owning two Airstreams of questionable overall quality, and the second one having the dreaded corrosion problem with the exterior that so many are seeing, I would NOT buy a new one. Go used and if the unit shows signs of some of the lackluster QC and/or corrosion, at least some of the top dollars you paid for the unit won't be gone with the first few years of significant depreciation. I mean if you love the units as I do, why pay $40+k for a unit with high potential for issues, when someone else has taken a $8k hit on the depreciation so far and you can get a unit for $8k less and if it has the issues a lot do have, you might not feel as bad having spent $8k less. Even if the $8k unit has a few less bells and whistles, you can add a lot of bells and whistles either yourself or through Airstream or a service center for a heck of a lot less than $8k.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
If your TV will take it consider something with a little more room for rainy weekends. Be patient. Prices are more likly to come down than go up on midsized used units. Get a used one that already has "everything" you will want and it one size bigger than you think you need, esp with a child as they tend to get bigger with time not smaller.

Were' Robin Roberts when you need him?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 AM   #17
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
I just dealt with a similar decision. Now mind you, I've never owned any kind of trailer (a boat trailer doesn't count) and I don't have anyone to help me figure things out. Don't know much about electrical and pumps and the like. I went with the new one. I could have saved substantial money buying the barely used one, but I wanted to have the full two year warranty and the dealer support. From other threads and warranty issues I've read dealers are not always gung ho to help you out if you didn't buy the trailer from them. (And I've not been impressed with the dealer near me). Of course this mileage varies, but I had a really good rapport with the dealer I 'm buying from right from the start and felt that if there is an issue I can get good service and help. I was very nervous about buying a trailer without being able to spend a good deal of time at the dealer testing it out before I brought it home, and without the backup that the dealer provides. I went with my gut feeling and I'm paying for peace of mind. We will see whether it's worth it!

Good luck - go with your gut feeling (it's never failed me when I've listened to it.)
Old 08-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I looked at some of the smaller ones too. They are cute, but we have two kids and a dog and I'm afraid they'd get tight on rainy days.

We now have a 34 foot triple axle and it seems just about right

The 34 really tows nicely too. It's long, so you have to be mindful of the length, but other than that, she tracks straight as an arrow.

Anyway, not to dissuade, but I'd have to go along with the guys recommending you look hard at a 25 footer.

As for new vs. used, my experience has shown that warranties are pretty much worthless. I'd get a decent looking used one at a huge discount and run with it. At least that way you KNOW you are the one doing the repair work, rather than making five trips to a service center to mook it all up and then you wind up fixing it yourself six months later anyway.

Best of luck whichever way you go. Just get out there and camp and have fun!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to all of you for your advice/comments.
We ended up going with the 2006 International CCD.
Patrick and Lauren at Colonial were very helpful and even provided a further discount.

We pick her up next weekend and will post pics, etc.
Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwarren View Post
Thanks to all of your for your advice/comments.
We ended up going with the 2006 International CCD.
Patrick and Lauren at Colonial were very helpful and even provided a further discount.

We pick her up next weekend and will post pics, etc.
Thanks again!
CONGRATS!!!! Post some pics and find a forums rally as soon as you can!