Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Thumbs up Your opinion is needed!!

There are some new interior designs in the pipeline for an upcoming model release, and the designer has asked me to help gather some opinions.

Here is his question:

I'm very curious about finding out how interested people may be in a classically designed travel trailer with modern amenities that offers old school workmanship and "organic" materials.

The floor is open, so chime in if you have an opinion.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Does organic mean real wood other than oak? Now that would be a leap forward from the past. Grass flooring, very cool and strong stuff, may be tougher than bamboo and is American made.

Would have saved me alot of work if it was already available. But where are they going to get the craftsmen? From what I'm seeing and hearing they are already shipping trailers without finishing them and still have only one battery.

I don't see them changing direction given the modern CCD's success. It would be cool to bring back the feel the classics have. A scale that doesn't try to make you feel "at home". If I want to feel at home I can stay home and sit on my own patio.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
It would be better if they would use some of that 'old school workmanship' in their current production models, I speak from experience.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Brett

Hope this does not turn into a "itch" session.

I am one who very much likes the 50's trailers because of the simple design and nice wood interior. Simple because they are very lite weight and therefore very easy to tow. These trailers are easily towed with 1/2 ton rather than 3/4 that most of the new trailers require.

I even like the simpler windows - much easier to replace

This is exactly what I'm doing with my 58 - basically rebuilding everything as it was, but all new appliances. I think when I'm done it will be even weigh less than original.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, I'm kind of torn. In one thought I really think it would be neat to have a few new older style coaches built. Cost would be a BIG issue since any type of specialty work would no doubt cost a bit more and I personally wouldn't be willing to spend more on an older, yet refreshed design at a higher cost than what's already out there. As for organics, though I agree in some cases that can be a perk, it can also be a delta.

Yet on the other side of the fence, if it ever happened, it would have to be very careful not to tick off the vintage folks. A new vintage could either price what's out there into deep space, or it could do the opposite and lower the values of the vintage units folks have poured time and money into.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Wink

Congrats NewKid64, I had no idea you were consulting with Airstream. How do you ever find the time? Must admit it seems strange to me that they would choose this approach to seriously research the market's needs.

Lots (probably most) of the folks here either already have one, prefer the Vintage route, or have read enough about AS's quality problems that they are quite gunshy at ever buying a new one.

Ironically this forum is a wonderful "advertisement" for Airstream and their worst "nightmare" too. Nowhere else will you find as much good (mostly regards the Vintage experience, but some New Trailer good reports) and also find as much "bad" i.e. honest criticism of Airstream quality problems.
From what I read (here mostly) someone ought to tell them just to build a quality dealer service network, and look into improving their grossly over rated and over priced and all too often sloppily built products.

I'm a Vintager and they (AS) have been about as helpful to me as the proverbial "tits on a boar hog".
I have never been able to get a successful answer from the factory on various questions I've presented.
I get the best answers from the various forums and from just plain members who have learned the hard way. Or from Inland Andy who BTW does not sell the new Airstream Trailers, although I assume he is a Certified Service facility of theirs.
Anyway I want them to succeed just cause I'm nostalgic and do admire thier longevity. I suppose their demise might increase the value of the Vintage units a little, but mine's not for sale anyway.
My further advice is for them to remain monocoqcal ONLY and that includes their MOHOs. Use only vendors that will guarantee parts availability for 25 years, make all systems replacebly accessable, include no planned obscelesence, and no plastic shell parts (end caps, trim etc.).Concentrate on building the "perfect" (and leakless) shell and running gear. Then designers can do up the interiors a thousand ways, everything from Margaritaville to the Cistine chappel to Old West brothel look. Wood to leather to diamond plate, whatever lights your fire.
Nuff said
for now anyhow.

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I think we could all use a better idea of the direction this design is taking. In what way does this design contemplate differing from the current "Classic"? And what is meant by "organic"? The current Classic uses a lot of solid oak (or hickory), certainly an organic material.

Mark
Old 06-07-2005, 09:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Why would anyone even want any factory decor? While the history of floral fabric and "furniture style" woodwork in RVs has been less than illustrious, the advantage of older, low priced coaches to owners is that they give the oppourtunity to decorate the way you want, not take something cooked up to appeal to a target market.

With an attitude like that, you can guess that I will not be buying a new coach in this life and factory decor of any stripe is only a part of that equation.
bobechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #9
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
I tend to agree with some of the others here. I would much rather get a product which is very well made and well supported by the manufacturer. Dealers are ok but I want to be sure if there is any problem with the dealer I know the company I just spent some serious money will back their product. Quality is very key here ... most people can add decorative touches but it costs a lot to fix major defects. I guess if I did have to suggest something related to RV decoration is to stay away from the "Mirrored" ceiling look which many other brands utilize to make the units look larger. Mirrors / hardwood / leather do not always make for the greatest style in my opinion. The new Safari Special Edition is one of the best looking RV interiors I have seen. Maybe a really cool hi-tech coach with all the goodies built in... How about a multi media setup where you can have TV / PC / Video Games / Music etc. Offer other high end options like better seating / beds / appliances that may not be found in other coaches. Boy am I dreaming now... I really should bet back to work...
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Talking since suggestions were requested

I don't know if the new(er) coaches have this or not, but why not have removable/replaceable cushion covers that are more-or-less machine washable? If it could be done, at a reasonable cost, we could then wash our covers when they become soiled, and eliminate a source of odors. Also, that would give us the ability to easily update the interiors of our coaches, just by calling Airstream's parts dept. and saying, "I want to buy a new cover set for my coach, in the (fill in the blank) pattern." And, in a few days, it arrives in the mail.
Instant update.
I would think that could be used as a selling tool, at least to the "housekeeper" halves of Airstreaming couples, and definitely to the singles.
Fast forward to the year 2017, when Joe Airstreamer buys a ten year old 2007 Classic, with that horrible outdated nasty pattern, and is able to call up the parts dept. and get covers in the new lime green paisley pattern that is so popular today...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
There are some new interior designs in the pipeline for an upcoming model release, and the designer has asked me to help gather some opinions.

Here is his question:

I'm very curious about finding out how interested people may be in a classically designed travel trailer with modern amenities that offers old school workmanship and "organic" materials.

The floor is open, so chime in if you have an opinion.
I have only a vague idea of what you mean.

I have a model called the "Classic", and if that's what you mean by "classically designed", then that suits me just fine.

Quality, quality, quality. Is that old school workmanship? Of course, everyone of us wants that. We just had cherry wainscoting put in a second room in our home by a young guy who is maybe 25 years old. He works for his father primarily making custom kitchens. Every cut was made to perfection, the finish is flawless and the final product is a piece of art. Oh my, if this young guy would lend his talents to making Airstreams. Call it old school if you wish. I'd call it desirable.

How far is it practical to go with organic materials? I love the look of wood, it's touch and its smell. However, I also like Corian counter tops, and would find them on a par or maybe even preferrable to (say) marble - an organic material. If you'd wish to trash the plastic shower head that Airstream labels in their ads as "brass" that would get my vote, but I don't know an organic product to replace something like a brass shower head that I would find preferrable. Better to define where organic products would be used, and where they might provide a better quality alternative, imo.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I think the answer is yes, I think it would appeal to a younger demographic. Three years ago, Airstream donated a trailer to the University of Austin's design of an environmental home for the US DOE's Solar Decathlon and it had enormous lines of folks waiting to tour it.

What would really be great would be a full scale redesign of the airstream to make it lighter, more efficient and greener, not just window dressing with hemp curtains and compressed wheat fiber countertops.

BTW--What's the matter with bamboo? I always heard that this was pretty good flooring material, though somewhat limited in colors...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
BTW--What's the matter with bamboo? I always heard that this was pretty good flooring material, though somewhat limited in colors...
I wonder, if it would be possible, to saturate the ground around the bamboo with dye, if it would pick up the color of the dye, and add colors to the bamboo? It would need to be biodegradable dye, of course, to be in keeping with the "green" people.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
In with the new!

I say don't worry about what the "vintagers" have to say (just see what they said to Vintage Thunder at homecoming.... what a bunch of grumpies!)!

I personally would like to see a burning of "oak"... yuk! The current "classic" interiors don't appeal to me (under 40 crowd). A "modern" classic would probably use birch or maple, linolium (I can't spell) or a "green" hardwood. Don't use the brass "country style" pulls... good 'ol aluminum pulls with nice lines... maybe a Swedish style Airstream? Course, my styles are more Dwell magazine then A.D. magazine.

I'd also like to see a cost conscious redesign of the AS, style with a budget.

As long as I'm dreaming, I'd like AS to sell interior rehab kits for those with Vintage As's and Argosies.

Before I get strung up, I'd like to say that each individual person has their own tastes. I think AS is smart to design both the CCD line, and the "classic" line. Thinking outside the box with various interior designers will keep them ahead of the SOB's.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 10:31 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
organic?

If you mean a return to the birch beauties of the past - than yes!
Swapable fabric is a fab idea. Get rid of the sguare cabinet construction - it doesn't fit in a round-ish trailer and wastes space. Get rid of plasic - it doesn't age well especially in the desert.

How about subfloors made of Trex - no rot - ever! Cover 'em with Rhino lining. Then have pre-sized rugs that fit on top for those who like carpet. When they are too dirty to use any more, order replacements!

Use wood, bamboo, leather in light and rich colors. we added a Paduke trim to our rehabbed Argosy - made a world of diffrence in feel and appearance - kinda posh! I toured a conversion coach last week that had leather walls - It was lovely. Burnished hides with rivets to hold in place.

How about anodized interiiors - pick a color - any color. Gold, red, white....
How about a loft?

What you're asking about is what most of us have done with our vintage trailers. we have updated and improved to our liking. I recommend that they attend a tin can tourists rally and tour trailers for ideas - see what the truely "out of the box" thinkers have done.

So when can i place my order?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
Craftsman

Classically designed? Organic? A no brainer, I think there are a lot of buyers out there. But, fake retro won't do. If Airstream can do with design what VW or Mini did you'd have a winner. The key is the ever allusive Q..U..A ..L..I..T..Y. issue. In my opinion they have to move away from Red Oak and to lighter colored woods like Birch and Maple. It would make the interiors seem larger. Everyone remembers the Walnut colored cabinets from the 70's. Most of them are in the bottoms of landfills now. Red Oak does not equate with " high end" now. Even when it did it wasn't Red Oak but English Brown Oak or Quatersawn White Oak. Also no paper veneers that peal off at the corners. The quality of the Hickory cabinets in the 34' Ltd. that I recenty viewed at the factory were superb, but I'm pretty sure they were made by a subcontractor.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
The quality of the Hickory cabinets in the 34' Ltd. that I recenty viewed at the factory were superb, but I'm pretty sure they were made by a subcontractor.
You're making me cry every time I think about the cabinets I got just a year ago in my LTD, and when they agreed to replace one of the cabinet doors I got that was expecially bad, they sent me a replacement door that was even worse than the original. I just refinished my hickory dinette table top (a disaster sold as the "Limited upgrade") but I left the black knot in the table's middle as a sort of "birthmark" reminder of being told by Airstream management that "some people prefer those imperfections".

I really hope yours is as good as the one you have seen.

John
Old 06-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Let me offer some more information.....

This is a "what if" scenario.

This unit is not a retro body-style reminiscent of pre-70s Airstreams. This is not being created to compete or be compared with "vintage" trailers. That is foolish and only invites negative connotations as an imitation.

Current production body-style with some additions and some custom exterior features. Emphasis on quality interior construction and consideration for weight.

Hardwood veneers, NO OAK. NO MDF, laminate, and minimal use of plastic. Marine-grade pulls and hardware. Aluminum extrusions, nosing and edgings. Leather on the walls is a possibility. Also some copper details. Linoleum sheet goods.

High end textiles, classic as not to be "retro" or outdated in two years.

Layout and design of cabinetry more in touch with travel trailers of the past.

More fluid and not looking "modular". Current state of the art electronics, ie video and audio. Emphasis on storage and flexibility. Definitely a feeling of the "Classic trailers" of the past with the advantage of modern technology.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Sounds heavy............ not the direction I think they should go
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I really like the replacible flooring and cushion ideas.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote