Old 06-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
organic?

If you mean a return to the birch beauties of the past - than yes!
Swapable fabric is a fab idea. Get rid of the sguare cabinet construction - it doesn't fit in a round-ish trailer and wastes space. Get rid of plasic - it doesn't age well especially in the desert.

How about subfloors made of Trex - no rot - ever! Cover 'em with Rhino lining. Then have pre-sized rugs that fit on top for those who like carpet. When they are too dirty to use any more, order replacements!

Use wood, bamboo, leather in light and rich colors. we added a Paduke trim to our rehabbed Argosy - made a world of diffrence in feel and appearance - kinda posh! I toured a conversion coach last week that had leather walls - It was lovely. Burnished hides with rivets to hold in place.

How about anodized interiiors - pick a color - any color. Gold, red, white....
How about a loft?

What you're asking about is what most of us have done with our vintage trailers. we have updated and improved to our liking. I recommend that they attend a tin can tourists rally and tour trailers for ideas - see what the truely "out of the box" thinkers have done.

So when can i place my order?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
Craftsman

Classically designed? Organic? A no brainer, I think there are a lot of buyers out there. But, fake retro won't do. If Airstream can do with design what VW or Mini did you'd have a winner. The key is the ever allusive Q..U..A ..L..I..T..Y. issue. In my opinion they have to move away from Red Oak and to lighter colored woods like Birch and Maple. It would make the interiors seem larger. Everyone remembers the Walnut colored cabinets from the 70's. Most of them are in the bottoms of landfills now. Red Oak does not equate with " high end" now. Even when it did it wasn't Red Oak but English Brown Oak or Quatersawn White Oak. Also no paper veneers that peal off at the corners. The quality of the Hickory cabinets in the 34' Ltd. that I recenty viewed at the factory were superb, but I'm pretty sure they were made by a subcontractor.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
The quality of the Hickory cabinets in the 34' Ltd. that I recenty viewed at the factory were superb, but I'm pretty sure they were made by a subcontractor.
You're making me cry every time I think about the cabinets I got just a year ago in my LTD, and when they agreed to replace one of the cabinet doors I got that was expecially bad, they sent me a replacement door that was even worse than the original. I just refinished my hickory dinette table top (a disaster sold as the "Limited upgrade") but I left the black knot in the table's middle as a sort of "birthmark" reminder of being told by Airstream management that "some people prefer those imperfections".

I really hope yours is as good as the one you have seen.

John
Old 06-07-2005, 02:11 PM   #18
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Let me offer some more information.....

This is a "what if" scenario.

This unit is not a retro body-style reminiscent of pre-70s Airstreams. This is not being created to compete or be compared with "vintage" trailers. That is foolish and only invites negative connotations as an imitation.

Current production body-style with some additions and some custom exterior features. Emphasis on quality interior construction and consideration for weight.

Hardwood veneers, NO OAK. NO MDF, laminate, and minimal use of plastic. Marine-grade pulls and hardware. Aluminum extrusions, nosing and edgings. Leather on the walls is a possibility. Also some copper details. Linoleum sheet goods.

High end textiles, classic as not to be "retro" or outdated in two years.

Layout and design of cabinetry more in touch with travel trailers of the past.

More fluid and not looking "modular". Current state of the art electronics, ie video and audio. Emphasis on storage and flexibility. Definitely a feeling of the "Classic trailers" of the past with the advantage of modern technology.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Sounds heavy............ not the direction I think they should go
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I really like the replacible flooring and cushion ideas.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Ken,

part of the reason to move away form the MDF and solid woods is to reduce the weight. I was very surprised at how heavy the components that are currently installed were, when I looked at them on the factory floor. 5/8 inch plywood cabinet carcasses, and cabinets that are full box to maintain modularity.

All of this adds tremendous weight when compared to the simpler trailers of the 50's, 60's and even 70's. simple face frames withe shelves that are supported by minimal end walls and made from strong but lightweight materials would go a long way in putting the trailer on a diet.

Speaking to the quality of materials issue is part of the desire to look to the marine industry. the interior of the trailer will not see some of the extremes that a boat would, but it is nice to know that the hardware is over engineered at a minimum.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I see, with that in mind, I suppose I wouldn't be interested in such a coach.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
It only sounds like a window dressing approach, which in my book, would never cut it.

Bottom line, it's something they can probably sell well, since your description feeds into the current trend for favoring simpler lines--but that's not the same as organic. Organic involves a design that reduces energy consumption, employs sustainable materials, and minimizes waste.

The only thing you mentioned that qualifies as organic in your description is linoleum flooring. The rest just sounds like a selection of more tasteful yet utterly generic furnishings (and leather is pretty much anti-organic).

What do they propose?

-A look, perhaps less tacky than the old "Dolly Parton" styled units and less radical than the avante guard look of the CCD.
-Organic, no.
-Ubiquitous, yes.
-Do "classic as not to be "retro" or outdated" in ten years--impossible (that's what they used to say about avocado green).

It's really a shame that they feel they are married to the current chassis. There is a real market for building in more efficiency as well as for using more natural, sustainable furnishings. It also means lighter trailer, more efficient appliances, composting toilets, integrated photovoltaics, etc.

Honestly, this concept sounds like Vintage Thunder. It's a great trailer, it's a lovely design--but it isn't really organic.

Mary
Old 06-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #24
Craftsman

Brett, I like the way you describe it.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I for one would love to see some of the older floor plans used again. Even if it is in a newer body style. The newer materials and marine hardware is a good idea also.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:36 PM   #26
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
While they're designing - maybe they could make bathrooms for real people. Knee room around the throne - not to high - not to low. Don't mash the potty up against a wall or cabinet! Save the seperate shower for the really long models - weekend users in smaller units might rather have the space for something really important - like say - extra seating or a bigger bed. How about an outdoor shower option?

How organic are we talking here...? Hemp fabrics and cork floors?

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva

composting toilets

Mary
Now see what you started

I guess organic means you have to pull it yourself and only eat sticks and weeds.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #28
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Maybe I'm missing something....would this be AS's answer to an "AMG" type limited edition, and probably costly, but incredible detailed unit.

For instance: Substitute weight of MDF, and add that weight back into the frame in tthe form of an additional strut to further reinforce the floors.

The mechanicals would have to be the best of every maunfacturer.

Plywood carcasses would be great. They take screws better than particle board, even if you use threaded inserts in the MDF.

As far as floor plans go, there is probably only so much yu can do in an eight foot wide by xxxx long space.

From a design stand point, thee interior should be light. Although I love my 19' CCD, I've learned anytime you have a small space and add dark trim, the space only seems smaller.

I believe AS now has a Bambi Safari SE with the CCD interior shell, but has the wood venier cabinets. I'm not sure the wood species, though. That seems to be a happy medium.

Designers can be a narcisitc bunch. I know this from working in advertising/design. If you've ever been in a room full of designers, you almost want to head straight for the exits or jump out of a window. Don't get me wrong. Not ALL designers are nuts. My two closets friends are graphic designers...who both agree with me on this one. Since I am a photographer, it is safe for me to say they are pretty weird too.

Given that, the CCD was a great step forward for the RV world, and AS. A departure from the coffin-like fabric and interior designs of SOB's.

So with the new Bambi SE and the new Safari SE, I think that the dreamers at AS are really going the right way.

Way to go!

Jonathan