Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2003, 01:03 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Yellowstone/Grand Tetons

I'm taking the family from Mpls to the Black Hills and on to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons - leaving 7/3. These parks must be very busy this time of year, so I reserved campsites thru 7/8. Most CG in Grand Teton are first-come/first served - anyone have thoughts on my chances of getting a site in Colter Bay for 7/9-7/11?
Old 06-27-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up

Should be easier being that it's mid-week instead of a Friday arrival...

Good luck ~ post pictures when you get back!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:02 PM   #3
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Some other ideas

You might get a Woodalls Camp Directory 2003 before you leave. It lists CG in all the states both private and some public (state/nat'l parks). Then you will have an idea of some alternate places just in case. You could also check an Atlas/Gazatteer(some libraries carry them) for that area to see what other CGs there might be. Also, the internet can give you some info for CG's in the area. Knowing that Nat'l Parks are very busy places (and more so with people traveling by car now) it is alway good to have an alternative plan. Just some thoughts. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
We carry both a woodalls and a trailer life campground guide. One of them is always 2 years old. We only buy one per year. On our stalled trip form Vancouver to Tampa we had one reservation, in Vancouver for Edie to get the work done on the MH. The rest of the trip we just figured out how far we wanted to go that day and looked to be sure there would be a spot to stay.

Works for us, but in the height of the season it may not work so well.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 09:44 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Whispering Pines , North Carolina
camping in yellowstone

Just returned from Tetons and Yellowstone, I was there 5/27/03 and Colter Bay was about half filled each day,but, I was told that by July they would be jamed. Based on the flow of RV's headed west they are filling quickly.. We had a great time, was still cold at night and snow was still on ground in higher elivations. Yellowstome is really showing the wear and tear of use,and the forest fire didn't help any. See it now before it gets any worse. Just a quick note towed a 78 A/S 7,798 miles in 8 weeks and did not have one problem!! The Silver Queen just keeps on rolling..

Pinhurst
Old 06-27-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

In all the nat'l parks, arrive early in the day - 9,10 or 11 at the latest. I've had real good luck doing that. By noon most CG's are full. I try to be within 60-100 miles the night before and rush right in to get a spot as the SOP's leave. You'll find the commercial CG's at Jackson spendy - $40-50 a night. But there are lots of Forest Service CG's in the mountains east of the Tetons. BTW, don't miss sunset from the Snake River overlook, it'll be on your map. A postcard photo op
BruceACampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 08:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
dmac, Here is the phone number of Colter Bay Village RV Park-- (800) 628-9988 If I were you, would give them a jingle.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I have a current Trailer Life guide. Since we have reservations for 3 nights in Yellowstone, on the 4rth day we will just get going relatively early to try for a campsite in Grand Tetons.